Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I am about to order a clutch kit from EPI for my 1994 Indy trail deluxe, it is a 488 f/c w. electric start , reverse, and a 133.5 in track and I was wondering what kind of gain to expect from this kit and if there is anything I should change to go along with it
thanks

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
it will be way good for the sled. im sure the clutch stuff in your sled right now is worn out anyway so this will make a huge dufference. you will have better power all the way through and you will feel much more snap from the engine. youll be happy. for other things to do, clean the carb and make sure your airbox and pipe are clean, new fuel filter never hurts either

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I think you're wasting money on the kit. I do agree that the primary and secondary springs you have now are shot if they haven't been replaced in the last year or 2. To replace those with new factory springs, and inspect/clean the clutches while you are replacing the springs might cost maybe 20% as much as that kit, and give you 90% of that kits performance.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
:withstupid: x10!!! mhicks and i are both tuners on here. clutch kits are a costly venture for little gain. if you have the technology you can make your own "kit" taylored just for your riding for about half the cost. shoot, a good cleaning will give you that last 10%.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:withstupid: x10!!! mhicks and i are both tuners on here. clutch kits are a costly venture for little gain. if you have the technology you can make your own "kit" taylored just for your riding for about half the cost. shoot, a good cleaning will give you that last 10%.[/b]

what would be the best set up for this particular machine, I would like to see a little more top end and get there quicker
would i use origional springs, weights, helix or upgrade some of the parts , I do mostly trail riding but would like to see a little more speed in the strait away, but any gain in any section would be good to see, I am really looking for maximum all around increase

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
screw around with diferent weights and springs and helixes

many used parts shops have used helixes and springs

mind you springs are cheap $20 or so

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
get the same springs you have, just new. add 2 grams to whatever you have now. and i would still gear it down if you want quickness.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<<I would like to see a little more top end and get there quicker>>>>

Wouldn't we all?

Suggest you get it running the way Polaris intended it to run when new. To do this replace the clutch springs with those recommended in the FACTORY parts manual (NOT AFTERMARKET). Make very sure the weight bushings are in good condition (grab the end of the weight and check for side to side play) when you have the primary apart to replace the primary spring. Check condition of helix buttons when you have the secondary apart replacing that spring.

Make sure your motor is tuned properly (carbs clean, carb sync perfect, fresh plugs, etc.)

Most sleds the age of the one you're talking about respond very nicely, with a noticable difference in power/get up and go, to the maintenance above.

If it won't go fast enough after that, sell it and get a bigger one.

If that doesn't work out for you.....
Tifa's idea of regearing is a good one - but not knowing where you are at with the springs and everything else you likely have going on, you may never see the difference the gearing bought you. When tuning, you simple HAVE to have a baseline to go from. To get it, the sled must be running as intended when delivered new. Then start making changes, one at a time, knowing exactly what they did for you - good or bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts