Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a 2002mxz700 tomorrow, but I can't get any better than $1700/yr for insurance 'cause of my 3 driving violations.  That's just way to much for how crappy this winter is.  So I gotta pay cash for something older instead so I can have SOME fun while I wait 15 more months for my record to clear.
What is everyone's opinion of a great older sled with a big engine that'll run me about $600-$700?
One of my coworkers has an 85 Phazer that he says has always been great.  I want to look for something quick that won't get stuck too much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your right, violations will jack up your insurance, however, 700cc sleds will do that also.  I am 23 years old and just bought a 2001 mxz600. I pay $147.00 a year for insurance.  Yes that is full coverage.  But, if I would have gone to a 700, the insurance would have doubled.  I can't imagine how you were quoted at $1700.00 for insurance ???  My truck and sled together per year is $800.00.  Something doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
You are going to have to spend a bit more than that to get a decent machine, for a good used sled if u dont want to pay alot for it would be an old polaris indy early 90`s, you get them for a decent price and they are great i have had two a 92 500 indy and a 93 indy XLT 580 they were great old machines.

·
Registered
124 Posts
yeah, your not going to get much for less than 1200 bux.  i too say look at older indy's, but make sure you stay away from efi, it didnt work right untill the late 90's.

when lookin for an older sled, make sure it is clean, because that generaly means it was kept well. also, check wear parts like the track, slides, etc.  make sure ya check all the bogie wheeles for bad berings, it really sucks to blow one off out on the trail, and they are like $20 a pop to replace, too.

good luck,
- jason

F

·
0 Posts
old sleds are fun the more primitve you go the more fun you will have but i would stay with one of the older ski-doo like a 500 everest great machine :blahblah:

K

·
0 Posts
Go for an old Olympiq 12/3 not that big of engine but it won't get stuck and it is fun to drive. Look for a Ski-Doo Blizzard those are awesome looking and have big engines. Im not sure if they get stuck easily but look at it.

Thanks Boggs for the pic.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If you get a machine for $700 you'll just have more frustration then fun. Most of the sleds in that price range are beat up or really high mileage so their not as reliable. Unless it is a really old machine, but those weren't reliable in the first place. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Look at it this way. It could be worste. I'm 23 and live in NY with 9 points on my license. A couple comanys quoted my full coverage to be over $2000 a year. They said my age, driving record, and sled (99 Mach) was killing me. So i went with another company and just got liability ??? Gotta be real careful and get some driving classes in to bring my points down. One company i believe said it would be $2300. I couldn't believe it. But it all worked out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts