Snowmobile World banner

What track length do you prefer for mountain riding?


  • Total voters
    41
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Originally posted by Flyguy@Apr 14 2005, 05:31 AM
It depends on where you are and how deep of snow. Around here all you need is a 121"
SWRules
[snapback]417714[/snapback]​
A 121" is basically non existant here. You wouldn't be able to go anywhere with them but up and down a trail, what fun would that be. :blahblah:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
If you buying a sled dedicated for mountain riding I would think you would only need a 151" track. After that driver input matters more than the length of the track. If I were to get a crossover sled I would think a 136 with a 1 1/4" paddle would be adequate.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
Originally posted by VerticalEscapeRMK@Apr 14 2005, 09:40 AM
A 121" is basically non existant here. You wouldn't be able to go anywhere with them but up and down a trail, what fun would that be. :blahblah:
[snapback]417740[/snapback]​
PSHAW!

I have a 121 REV with 1.75" track and it does just fine - you just have to know how to float a sled up and set the suspension up for deep snow. In fact I do better than my friends on my 144x2" Summit because I'm putting more HP to a lighter track that still gets great traction.

And WHY are the mfgrs making their cross sleds with the puny 1.25" lug tracks??? They need at least 1.75"! I guess they're targeting MI, MN, ON, WI riders?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
My sled has a 144" X 2 and the sled goes just about anywhere. I think that the 144 is the best all around track length.

I also agree with gman086 on the 121 x 2 tracks. I have friends that love that set-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm was just zinging you short track guys a little. :D Although I havent seen a track that short in a few seasons. THe 121" is a trail track, right?

I think the reason you can't get 2" paddles on any crossover sleds is because they are all targeted for Eastern and Northern riders. Trail guys that want just a little extra but not 2" paddles and have to worry about hyfax and stability on the trail. I figure the manufacturers know that out west Mountain sleds are pretty much the only thing bought. I don't know how it is in Oregon but here in California we have limited groomed trails period and it's all off trail riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
A machine with a 121" can do alright in deep snow. I had a 95 Phazer II before my RMK that had a 121 x 1.5" track, and it was pretty good in deep snow. It wouldn't win a climbing contest by any means, but it could hold it's own without getting buried. I wouldn't want a 121 tracked machine for serious mountain riding though, I think you'd end up digging yourself out more than you wanted to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Riding a 121 X 2 in Minnesota does not make sense, but if a rider wants to head out west once a year to play in the deep it's a cheap conversion. Guys were picking up 121 x 2 for $50-$75 at Haydays. Swapping out tracks doesn't take that long.

With the lack of snow in the midwest, more and more Minnesota riders are heading out west.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Originally posted by FZ700@Apr 17 2005, 03:08 AM

With the lack of snow in the midwest, more and more Minnesota riders are heading out west.
[snapback]417971[/snapback]​
Come on out, we've got the steep and deep. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
No, mine is definitley a powder track with standard powder paddles. In fact I'd rather have a finger track like the one on my Summit because they aren't directional and work better when you need reverse, not to mention dig in better in non-powder snow.

And for CA vs. OR - give me a break, the riding is very similar. We border each other in case you're geographically challenged!!! Crater/Diamond Lake is consistently in the top 10 for mountain/powder riding in all the mags.

G MAN

Originally posted by VerticalEscapeRMK@Apr 15 2005, 09:57 AM
I'm was just zinging you short track guys a little. :D  Although I havent seen a track that short in a few seasons. THe 121" is a  trail track, right?

I think the reason you can't get 2" paddles on any crossover sleds is because they are all targeted for Eastern and Northern riders. Trail guys that want just a little extra but not 2" paddles and have to worry about hyfax and stability on the trail. I figure the manufacturers know that out west Mountain sleds are pretty much the only thing bought. I don't know how it is in Oregon but here in California we have limited groomed trails period and it's all off trail riding.
[snapback]417855[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Originally posted by gman086@Apr 17 2005, 04:55 PM
And for CA vs. OR - give me a break, the riding is very similar.  We border each other in case you're geographically challenged!!!  Crater/Diamond Lake is consistently in the top 10 for mountain/powder riding in all the mags.

G MAN
[snapback]418041[/snapback]​
Not exactly. You guys further north have an advantage over us. You guys have a TON more groomed trails than we do. I've been to Diamond Lake and there are groomed trails that go EVERYWHERE. Most of the groomed trails here are narrow and short. I would agree that the mountain riding is almost identical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Have a 05 Summit 600 ho 16x144x2 rode last weekend at the Big Dog shoot out hill climb at Whistler B.C. The only advantages i have over a longer track is in the trees and makeing sharp turn outs on the steep. Would like to go to a 16x151x2 but no bigger like to be able to turn out if needed, seen way to many long tracks roll because they could not turn out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
I voted 136 as that's all I have ever riden and have never needed any more. I have always thought that the longer tracks are pretty much for hill climbing. Obviously my little Phazer isn't going to turn anything much longer than a 136 anyways!

I think paddle size makes a bigger difference in deep snow boon docking (other than hill climbing). I noticed a huge difference going from a 1" full block track to a 1 3/8" paddle track and almost as big of an improvement going to a 1.75" paddle track.

I guess a heavier machine might need a 144" to get the same floatation.

My two bits.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,413 Posts
I'm thinking about taking my X-gade out west for a rip in the hills, how does everyone think my 136" x 16" with 1.75" lugs will doo? I know that with the track being that extra inch wider its the same foot print as a 144" so thats a positive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
If the snow is deep, stop after a long WOT and check your belt make sure its not to hot. If it does heats up alot just stop after long pulls to let it cool down or change out the spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Originally posted by JasonF@Apr 29 2005, 09:09 PM
I'm thinking about taking my X-gade out west for a rip in the hills, how does everyone think my 136" x 16" with 1.75" lugs will doo?  I know that with the track being that extra inch wider its the same foot print as a 144" so thats a positive.
[snapback]419334[/snapback]​
That is the exact same sled a friend of mine owns that was out with us on our last soft snow outing. His 136" couldn't quite cut it when the snow got deep and the trees got tight or steep. He couldn't hang with the 800/159" Escape. :lol: Honestly, he's not that great of a rider and someone better probably could have kept the sled from getting stuck a few less times that day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,413 Posts
Originally posted by VerticalEscapeRMK@May 1 2005, 12:47 AM
That is the exact same sled a friend of mine owns that was out with us on our last soft snow outing. His 136" couldn't quite cut it when the snow got deep and the trees got tight or steep. He couldn't hang with the 800/159" Escape. :lol: Honestly, he's not that great of a rider and someone better probably could have kept the sled from getting stuck a few less times that day.
[snapback]419444[/snapback]​
Your escape is one hell of a nice powder sled but I think your right that a more experienced rider would do better with less. I checked on a rental for the area I want to go and its $200-225 a day for a mtn sled, ouch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
JasonF, I wouldn't bother with a rental, your sled should do just fine.

shawnmcgr, how did you get a 1.75" track to fit under the Phazer? I had a Phazer before my RMK that had a 121 x 1.5" track, and it barely fit even with smaller drivers and the rear of the tunnel raised up a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Originally posted by JasonF@May 3 2005, 02:18 PM
Your escape is one hell of a nice powder sled but I think your right that a more experienced rider would do better with less.  I checked on a rental for the area I want to go and its $200-225 a day for a mtn sled, ouch.
[snapback]419694[/snapback]​
Thanks for the complement on the sled. I wouldn't rent another sled. Go and see what your 'Gade can do. It will be a great learning experience on powder riding and especially the sled will teach you what it will and wont do, very important in mountain riding to know what your sled will climb or push through.

Just go out, play around, get stuck some, keep the hammer down, and have a ball. One of the main things that I think killed my friends ride was that since he was new at powder he would let off the throttle when feeling uncomfotable, with the crappy gearing of the stock 800 Gade it compounded it every time he let off. Stay in it hard if you can. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
RMKcowboy

I switched to 7-tooth drivers which gave me about 1/4" clearance at the bulkhead. A little tight I know but no problem at the bulk head so far (400km).

It does rub at the back end of the tunnel when I land a jump on compacted snow. I need to drop the skid an inch (summer project) which should eliminate that problem.

ttyl
 
21 - 40 of 76 Posts
Top