Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to see a travelling Yamaha display today. The RX-1 was of course the main attraction. Man I was NOT impressed. The display sled was in such bad shape it was unbelievable.

To start it was leaking oil on the showroom floor. They actually had to pump out the oil resevoir while we were all standing around looking at the machine! There was, honest to God, SCOTCH tape holding one of the electrical components together. Geeze at least they coulda used Duct tape! The front bumper was missing. The plastic on the rear bumper was loose. The handlebars were adjusted down so low when you sat on the machine they actually pinned against your knees.

I know this is probably more a reflection on the guys bringing this sled around, but still it didn't give me a load of confidence. I can't help but feel that this sled was VERY rushed to market. I think this may really backfire on Yamaha if this sled doesn't live up to the hype.

One other thing that became evident was that if this thing breaks its going to be a REAL bitch to work on. ie. The whole engine block will have to be lifted to work on the manifold! Plus how many local dealers are gonna have any experience working with these things.

This sled may come out of the box rock solid and toast everything on the snow...but I can guarantee I won't be the one laying out $13000 cdn to be a test rider!!
Good luck RX-1 owners!! Maybe I'll be joining ya in a couple of years or so. But till then... big balls to ya.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think this may really backfire on Yamaha if this sled doesn't live up to the hype[/b][/quote]
Hype...isnt that all it is? I have never heard of a sled plagued with so many problems as the RX1....and its not even on the snow.....Oil leak at the show...LOL they should all be fired.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
someone is going to get a sore butt, those japanese boys don't like that kind of crap.  
 two yamaha posts in a row here this general forum is now for yamaha's too. welcome aboard i guess ?  

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yamaha always hypes up their sleds beyond the performance capabilities.  They do however, build very nice sleds, with reliable engines & usually great fit & finish.  The Viper didn't live up to the hype created by Yamaha, but it is still a great sled!  The RX-1 has alot of hype to live up to.  Aside from the suspension, I think it will live up to the hype.  I'm saying that & I would never buy a Yamaha, not 4 me!  But I think they've got something really good with the RX-1!  As far as working on the motor, many dealers sell bikes in the summer.  All it is, is an R1 motor, slightly modified, for snow.  I don't think it'll be a problem for the dealers to fix.  Plus, it's a proven engine & shouldn't have too many problems.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
when one would like to sell something  they should put there best foot forward and make sure everything is as good as they can make it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts