Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZR 800 motor that I would like to mod, going to build a drag sled. My question is what would be the best mod for the money? I'm also looking at the durablity and best power output. Cutler has a 1150 kit for $3999.00, D&D has a 1147 kit for $4595.00, and PSI has a 1200 kit $5050.00. So who has the best bang for the buck and best longevity. If anyone has any honest opinions or any experience with any of these, your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or I guess, what would be a good big bore kit for the ZR 800 durability and money wise?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Those big bores, are great mountain motors, IMO. As far as drag race circuits, do they have anything other than pro-open or open mod that they can be run in? Some even limit these to 1000cc. But, in the end it just comes down to what you feel comfortable with, they're all reputable companies. Black Magic is another to consider.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! i have so many ideas running through my head it isn't funny. Now i was considering just a mod trail sled, it's a little more versital.
Again thanks for the reply, if there is anymore it'll be great to them!

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I had to make a choice, and I just happen to have, say, a ZR-900 setting in my garage, I would probably have a tough choice deciding between a ported and single piped 900 (say 172hp) or going to a 1010 (say 190hp). This is still an overbore, but one with more usable hp range based on add-ons. Most of our trails that we ride on around here are best suited to the "around 120hp" range. Don't get me wrong, there are sleds with lots more power, and it can be used, but not in many places. Short of a lake, it's real tough to see any advantage of anything over 150hp or so. But, it is nice to dream! It's fun having a big sled, but, take a lazy Sunday afternoon ride with you 200hp steed, invite your best friends along with their 70hp fan cooled riding double with the kids...Do you see where this is going?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the input! i have so many ideas running through my head it isn't funny. Now i was considering just a mod trail sled, it's a little more versital.
Again thanks for the reply, if there is anymore it'll be great to them![/b]
My experience with the big bores is that you are always messing with them, ex: clutching, gearing, jetting, etc. They can not be used for anything other than drag racing. For D&D they used to be quite a reputable company, mabee they have just gotten to big for themselves, customer service no longer exists and they sure are pushing alot of crap these days. I have been taken from them for the last time period. I seen the Cutler on a T cat and it worked well. I really think your best bet is just using what you have, get a good port job with some head work and clutch it and go. It will be way more reliable and cheaper to boot. I have a fair bit of knowledge with big bores on the Firecats, and trust me they are not for everyone and they can be a tuners nightmare and real expensive when something goes wrong but man are they fast when set up properly...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the reply. I understand the upkeep and constant messing with of a big bore engine. i just plan on building a sled with a bigger mill and am wondering about certain manufacturers. I have also looked into AAEN performance and what they had to offer. They have also been around for quite some time, so they might even have a good big bore to consider.

Again I thank you for your replies and take them all into consideration.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
There are allot of builders out there, all good. As far as cat power, I would list these as the ones to work with. Hooper, Cutler, D&D and Bikeman would be my choice. It just depends on what you want for durabity and cost. Quite honestly, you can build near 200hp out of a stock bore and crank 900 with proper porting and pipes. No need to go big bore unless you need that extra 10-20 hp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts