Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick-up my new blue baby girl (RX1mtn) next week and I have $300 from Yamaha to spend on 'extras'. What do you guys and gals suggest I get? I do mountain riding exclusivley. I already have a helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, pants, cover, shop manual, and snow wheels.

I was thinking maybe:

rear end lift
shovel
rack
bag of some sort

Any other suggestions? Max

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
winch,you'll need it to help pull the big 4 stroke out,when you get stuck. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew somebody wouldn't be able to resist! :D

I thought the 'shovel' suggestion would bring-out the flames, but I forgot about the winch.

Anyone else with suggestions? Bring it on, I can take it. Max :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
glRX1mtn,

Do you have the Rec-Lift? Even though you can get them cheaper, it's still basically free with the $300. I also stocked up on plugs, carbides, oil, hyfax.....all the necessities for the years to come. That lift, by the way, is the "cat's meow".

I had $600 to spend since I bought two new Yammis. So that explains the additional items purchased.

Jon

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Good to see you have a sense of humor Max, you will need it around here :sarcasm: A shovel is a great idea we dont leave home without ours and we are flatlanders ;) A rack for extra gas is handy (perm just installed one on his gade this year). A backpack with a spot for your shovel is good too. :D :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are the rx-1 mountain sled skis narrow?? I got a 01 Mountain Max which have narrow ski's, been thinking about Simmons or something so I can get flotation. I would consider ski's if they are narrow

·
Registered
249 Posts
To bad you have to spend it on extras. If they just sent you a check for $300.00 then you could go out and Snow Check yourself a Cat !!! :D LOL.. Just kidding. :p I would probably spend it on the little stuff like oil, plugs,belts.Etc.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Would the rec-lift get that sled off the ground? Not sure if it's rated for that kind of weight :p Just kidding. :thumbsup: SWRules

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To all the RX1 bashers:

I know most of you are bashing the new RX1 in good spirit. But I'm just wondering.... Are all you Cat guys (and gals) going to change your tune when they slap a GSRX-R 1000 motor or (even better yet) a 1200cc Hayabusa motor into a Artic Cat frame? Or are you still going to bash four strokes? And how can you bash a machine you've never ridden or even ridden against?

Yes, they're heavier than your two stroke.
Yes, they have a little ways to go with tuning and clutching.
Yes, they're something totally new and (Heaven Forbid!) different from the status quo two stroke twin.

But let's give Yamaha some credit here. They stuck their necks WAY OUT on this one in order to offer sled-heads like me and you cutting edge technology that the tree-huggers won't so easily be able to take away from us. Has any other of your beloved companies come up with ANYTHING even close yet? NO! They all were either asleep at the switch and Yamaha has a HUGE jump on them, or they're too afraid to even attempt what Yamaha has already seemingly accomplished.

Polaris put their four stroke in a water craft first, not a sled. Ski-doo has a 1000cc V-twin DOG that puts out WAY less than a 100hp. Artic Cat has a wimpy little four stroke they put in a trail sled for Yellowstone tourist. All these examples PALE in comparison to the new RX1.

Bash if you must.... but some day you'll all be riding a four stroke sled very similar to my RX1. And you'll think back to the days when you used to bash people like me and wonder what it was all for.

Ok, I'm off my soap box now. Bash amongnst yourselves!
:D Max

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Good point there max ! Only one thing is on my mind, what were you doing up at 1:30 last night :D

One thing i would get if you dont already have it is thoes nice plastic gards

·
Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by glRX1mtn@Nov 2 2002, 11:23 PM
To all the RX1 bashers:

I know most of you are bashing the new RX1 in good spirit. But I'm just wondering.... Are all you Cat guys (and gals) going to change your tune when they slap a GSRX-R 1000 motor or (even better yet) a 1200cc Hayabusa motor into a Artic Cat frame? Or are you still going to bash four strokes? And how can you bash a machine you've never ridden or even ridden against?

Yes, they're heavier than your two stroke.
Ok, I'm off my soap box now. Bash amongnst yourselves!
:D Max
Hey mtn, I found out from another forum site that the 800 summit I bought weighs 538 lbs. wet with one gallon of gas. I haven't heard any numbers from the RX-1 but I am willing to bet that I will be able to lift your sled just as easily as I can lift mine. You have an awsome sled and I can't wait to see and hear one on the snow. Have fun this winter, Jack :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by DanR@Nov 3 2002, 07:46 AM
Good point there max ! Only one thing is on my mind, what were you doing up at 1:30 last night  :D

One thing i would get if you dont already have it is thoes nice plastic gards
Hey Dan,

It wasn't 1:30am here in Colorado, it was only 11:30pm, but I was still up pretty late.

And my dealer "sort of" suggested the shields you talk about. They're not real carbon fiber and he said the first thing they hit will break them. So depending on how much they cost I may or may not get some. If they're cheap I guess they could be an 'expendable resource'.

My dealer also "sort of" suggested a belly shield. But the ones out now from Yamaha don't protect much (they're narrow and go right down the middle). So he said to wait (there's that nasty word again!) until the after market caught up and came out with a better design.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey mtn, I found out from another forum site that the 800 summit I bought weighs 538 lbs. wet with one gallon of gas. I haven't heard any numbers from the RX-1 but I am willing to bet that I will be able to lift your sled just as easily as I can lift mine. You have an awsome sled and I can't wait to see and hear one on the snow. Have fun this winter, Jack :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Hey Jack,

I heard basically the same thing but I don't have any evidence to back it up so I wasn't going to say anything about it. I'd rather let the sleds do the talking out on the snow this winter. Since, realitivley speaking, there will not be that many RX1's on the snow this season, I imagine I will have a lot of people want to look at, listen to, and challange my sled this winter. Who knows? I may make a few friends out of some hard core two strokers. :D
And then again, I may make a few enemies as well. :(

Max

·
Registered
101 Posts
No enemies here Max, I never know when I will need help getting unstuck and in that situation you can never have too many friends :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Max,
If you don't already have them, spend the money on a beacon, shovel & probe. If you ride the mountains, they're the most important accessory you can buy. I can't believe people will fork out 7-9k for a sled but won't plop down $500 for avalanche gear. I won't ride with anyone who's not carrying. I've been caught in 3 avalanches in the past 6 yrs. and only with the grace of God, I was able to out run them. I've also lost a friend in a avalanche.
There's a lot of good products out there, shop around. DON'T buy the plastic shovels! We broke 2 of them trying digging a friend's sled out last year. Also, some guys strap there shovels to their sleds. Don't! If you and your buds are caught in a slide and you survive, you can't dig your buds out if your shovel is buried with your sled. There is a lot of good backpacks out there that are lightweight and comfortable to wear. I use a LifeLink and carry a shovel, probe, First aid kit and ropes & pulleys.
You can't afford to go cheap here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by jstimac@Nov 3 2002, 12:16 PM
No enemies here Max, I never know when I will need help getting unstuck and in that situation you can never have too many friends :D
Hey jstimac,

Thanks for the support.

I always think it's so funny when somebody will bash my Yamaha or the fact that I ride a four stroke one day. And then the next day, when I stop to help them get unstuck (it happens to the best of us, myself included), they couldn't care less what kind of sled I'm riding! I've NEVER had anyone say, "Oh, I'm sorry. I only accept help from 'Ski-Do riders' (or whatever)". They're just appreciative of the fact I'm there to help. :D

We're all brothers and sisters here. I just wish we could have a little less 'sibling rivalry'. Max

1 - 20 of 20 Posts