Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
  I damaged my new machine last week, Yamaha 700 Viper with less then 250 miles. I bent the left control arm on the front end.
  The Bill from the dealer for repair will be about $300.00.  The insurance company said bring them the bill and they will reimburse me for all except the $100.00 deductable.
   Question is would you let them pay it, or pay the bill yourself so your premium's will not go up later on?

Bill

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
rcpilot1,
 i have only used my insurance once when there was a major loss here at my home. the reason i did not use my insurance on small piddly things was for one of your reasons yes the premiums will go up. another reason and i said to my wife when we were victims in a few other small thefts and once the new roof leaked, i said "honey" forget about using insurance because we will need them for the big one someday and they will come through. well 25 years i have owned this house same insurance broker no claims and when the big one came they did not come through.
 so from my experience with insurance companies i hope i never need them again, because it is going to be tough to not to use the morals my parents taught me. all i can think about insurance companies is do them or they will do you.

p.s. put in your location unless you are running from the law.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
If you can afford the 300 bucks...I would avoid using the insurance unless you really can't swing the bill yourself.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I agree with Rocketman..........scary!
                LOL!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
My wife smacked a curb last year.The trailing arm was bent up real bad,also broke the carbide out of the wearbar.Parts were 170$.My deductable is 250.Dealer gave me an estimate of just under 300$ parts and labor. If I claim this it will cost more for me because of the deductable.So being the handy guy I am(lol) I fixed it myself.Plus my rates won't go up if there is no claims.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Go ahead and pay the bill yourself. There may be a time when you have to claim medical expenses............hopefully that day will never come; save the small bills to yourself and the big ones for the insurance company.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would wait to untell you do more serious damage.

300 is nothing  
so far this year 2 trailing arms 3 radius rods 1 belly pan
1 windshield 300 in medical bills 2 skis  1 stearing shaft .

if you are going to play you got to pay.

ps it shure is alot cheeper if you do youre own work or have frends help you.

also after market parts are some times a lot cheeper.

If you dont all ready belong to a club I would recomend joining one.

Ther are a lot of nice peopple just waiting to come over to your house drink your beer
and help you on youre project.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm with paul on this, insurance sucks but I can't afford 9k to replace the new one so I have it this year,  The (good) news is......next year it will only be worth half that!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
My rule of thumb, is that you use insurance for the big items, and cover the small ones yourself.  If its $300 in damages, with a $100 ded, your only getting $200 from the insurance company (good math eh.....I sure you guys are glad I figured that out for you...LOL)

I will guarantee that you will pay the insurance company much more than $200 over the next few years to make up for it.  Plus, if you ever switch companies, they will do a search and find out you had a previous claim, and up your rates.  

Not worth it in the long run.  $3000 sure, $300 no way.

FishHog

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Its like everybody is saying, for the small stuff pay for it yourself, big stuff use the insurance company. If you can't pay the $300 pay the $100. Talk to your insurance guy and he should be able to give you a bottom line figure as to how much you should fix yourself before using insurance. My insurance guy told me that if I get into a car accident I should only put a claim in if there is more than $2000 damage to my car (depending on the car), anything less and it costs me more because of deductible, premiums, etc., and like landcrusher said you will probably know someone that would love to drink your beer and fix your sled. That's what friends are for. If I lived close to you I'd even come drink your beer and fix your sled.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree - for that small amount, your rates will go up and it will just not be worth it.

I am with Zert - If I lived close enough, I would come help fix your sled and drink your beer - until we're fixing your beer and drinking your sled!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Pay the bill yourself, cause the insurance will go up next year like you already know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts