Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I think that I have made my mind up to get rid of the Mach.  Seems like whenever there is snow on the ground something is wrong with it.  I can't do my own work, and don't know a whole lot about sleds so I think it is best that I stay away from the triples.  Don't get me wrong, I love the sled when it is running good, but it's really finicky.

Anyway, I think I have narrowed down my choices to two.  What would you rather have, a '99 MXZ 670 H.O. or a 2000 (or maybe newer) MXZ 700?  

I mainly trail ride, but always seem to find myself drag racing with my buddies at the end of the ride (mainly a Formula Z 670 and a 700 Wildcat).  

Also, Please keep in mind that I do have a budget.  I am sure that the MXZ 700 is the better overall machine since it is in the ZX chassis and is pretty close to the 670 performance wise (heard the 670 is a hair faster).  So the $1500 or so I would save by getting the 670 counts for something.  

I'm kinda leaning towards the 700.  I haven't ridden anything in the ZX chassis, but I have ridden my buddies '98 Formula Z which is the same chasis as the 670 (is that S2000?).  I think the ZX is sharper looking, and the look of the 670 doesn't really turn me on, but that is just minor.

Also, is there anything different between the Tony Haikonen addition MXZ 670 H.O. or is it the same as the regular H.O. ?

One other thing that I am still thinking about is an MXZX 440.  I don't know if I will be able to find a decent one around here in my price range, and the whole mixing the gas could get annoying (I have to do it on my ATV and it is sickening when you are in a hurry).  Also, like a few people told me before, the other sleds a are a little bit more diverse which is nice.

Or do you think I should just keep my Mach?

Any info or opinions you could give me would be great.  Thanks for the help.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
buy the mxz 7 if you can id get a renegade.i have the 02 mxz 7 and hubby has the gade.i like the long track better but both are phenominal sleds

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
piranhaz28,
 get the 700, not that the 670 is not fantastic just the 700 is in the zx chassis. the mxzx 440 is a fun thing to think about but would be great toy, i am told the mxzx 440 is all or nothing no in between.  

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys.  So there must be something good about that ZX Chassis then....wish I could get some seat time on one, but I don't know anybody that has one.  Well, I mean that I don't know anybody that has one and would let me drive it like I want to drive it  

I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for a 2000 MXZ 700 then.  Are there any years of the 700 that I should stay away from?  I know they made them in '99 too.....the cheaper the better for me  
 .  It is probably that kind of attitude that gets me the lemons...haha.

I guess it all depends on what I come across.  The used market around here is a little slim because most everybody around here gives their sled to the dealers in trade for a new one.  Then the dealers jack the prices up like crazy.

Thank you both for your comments.

-Josh

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
buy the 00 700 or newer, the 99 had the old rear skid (sc/10acm) the 00 has the sc10-II,which keeps the skis down in the turns much better.the ho is great but we had one in 00 with a 700 also and I will tell you the 670 would only outrun it till about 50 mph then the 700 went on by.if the 700 did not spin real bad(it was not studded yet the 670 was) it would lead the whole race.the new chassis and rear skid combo is much better than any s-chassis sled even with the ets which helps on the sc/10acm sleds.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I say go with the 00' 700.  My buddy has one and it is an awesome sled!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey piranhaz28 I'm in the market for a mach1 97 or 98, and I am wondering what exactly is wrong with the triples? Should I stay away from the triples as well, or is it just your sled? I have heard of some reliability issues around town with the triples. I don't do my own sled work either, so if they are nothing but a time bomb, maybe I'll have to pass on the mach.
Or can someone fill me in on some tips to keep a triple alive. I have heard of premixing gas................any others?
?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well hammered,

I have heard that '98 was a problem year for the Mach's anyway, so I'm not sure if it is the triple curse or if it is just that year.  I know a lot of people on here have the big 3's and they've never had a problem with them.

Mine however has been a constant headache.  It ran good for the first month that I had it (last year) and then a ring in the center cylinder let go.  I rebuilt all 3 cylinders cause I figured I might as well do them all if I'm doing 1.  Well it ran beautiful at the end of the season last year.  I loved that sled soooooo much (that doesn't sound sick does it?  
 ?).  

Anyway, I was expecting some snow this year so I went and had the carbs cleaned and the clutch aligned and everything checked out.  Well, since my first ride out I had been fouling plugs.  The last trip I went on was 40 miles and I went through 5!!!  I was really mad at the sled.

Anyway, it went to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and he could not find the problem until after I posted this message (see my post somewhere below).  Anyway he called yesterday and said that he had found a spark plug wedged in under my motor that was pinching my wiring harness under there, so over time it wore the plastic off of the wires.  He also found some stripped wires under the recoil (thanks Dino for the tip to check those).  Well, I was relieved when he said it was ready to be picked up.  My father lives right near him so he went to pick the sled up this morning and they were just getting back from test driving it one last time.  The mechanic that drove it said "it seems to be skipping a little bit" (which was one of my original problems), so the owner of the shop told him to try it out again and hold the DESS cap down to see if it helped.  Well, they no more than got it out the door and it just died.  Anyway, they took it back in the shop and the owner of the shop reluctantly loosened up the motor again to check underneath for a wire that he may have missed.  Well guess what!  He found yet another spark plug under there wedged against some more wires right underneath the clutch.  He called my father and told him to come down and check it out.  My dad said that the wires were totally mangled...he couldn't believe it.  Anyway, the guy is taking care of those and I will know more tomorrow.  The good news is (if there is any) that the spark plugs he found were BR10ES.  I run BR9ES so they weren't any that I had dropped in there....they were from the previous owner so I don't feel like such an idiot.  The thing is that right after I bought the sled I pulled 3 plugs out from inside the engine compartment.  I don't know what the guy that had it before me was trying to do....maybe he was always drunk when he was changed the plugs  

So to sum things up....it doesn't look like this case was an issue with it being a triple, BUT I think that I would feel safer with a twin.  The big Mach puts out so much power it is hard to tell if something isn't right on.  With a twin you can normally tell right away.  I'm sure that if I could get more seat time on the darn thing it would help, but at this rate I haven't gotten much.

I can tell you that when that sled is running good I love it to death.  The feeling that you get when you are on it is unreal.  Puts a smile on my face whenever I see a nice stretch where I can open it up.  It just screams.  

It's kinda funny because I still had a smile on my face when I got home the night that I fouled 5 plugs in 40 miles.  There is a nice straight stretch just before my parents house....I hamered it through there and it made up for the rest of the ride.  

If I get her back and she runs good, I don't think I could part with it.  

I wish that I could give you a better answer to your question, but I'm not a real mechanical person (especially with sleds).  If you find a good deal on a big triple it might be worth the shot.

Take care.

-Josh

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
My mach totally destroys all twins in reliability.  Its just half a pull and your off.  

Keep the mach or get a new one.  The zx is ok but the diffrence is that if your going really fast in a line and there is a bump it can through you over the handlebars.  The CK3 has you sitting bar back and would sooner have you smash in to the bars then over.  If you liked the way the ck treated you on your style of trails then stay with it.  

That new 2003 has SC-10 3 and persision skis.  And let me tell you those skis change the CK3 big time.  Dont count it out.  I constently out turn my buds in the corner now that i got them.  

THe triples are great.  98 and previous years had some problems but there all worked out now.  My machine has 4000km on it not one problem and a friend with a machZ 2000 has 7000km and also not a problem.  

And thats 7000 quality triple.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Ok Listen.  

You said in the first post that you find yourself drag racing at the end of a ride.  

Now you know your mach can trail ride because you have been.  Put the persision skis on and you can do aggressive trail riding.  But at the end you can destroy everyone and still feel like the big king.  

You sound like a Mach driver so stick with it.  

Good luck on your choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts