Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what all you guys thought was cats best engine and sled from past present or future.

·
Registered
959 Posts
well what kind of engine performance or speed? i would have to say i liked the engine in the 97 zrt600's it had nice performance and speed.. but we will have to see what the F series brings

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think its pretty hard to have a best engine cause they always keep getting better. The 600tripple was a great engine and the 500 twin has alway been prettty impressive for its size. Like team arctic said well have to wait and see but if the 700 does what they say that will be impressive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Best engine has to be the big triples 800,900 and 1000cc, smooth,powerful,durable and excellent on gas for the size of motor, yes I know why did cat get rid of them,well with the media and magazines bashing the big triples for the last few years, now we have twins, less money for the factorys to make them yet there charging more for these 2 piston jobs (ZR900 retail $8400 ZR 800 retail $8100) nuts.. sorry I got carried away , question was best motor , big triples..

·
Registered
512 Posts
I gotta say there 500 liquid cooled. Man those things are tuff. Alot of power for the size, smooth, and kinda nice hummm to it.. Nicely suited to a ZR chassis, and you have your self a fun machine. Not the fatest, or the slowest. But you can bang it around pretty good.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Not considering HP. I would say there 440 Fan twin has always been a proven runner. It is still very much unchanged from years past. Same goes for the 550 liquid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would have to say the ZRT 600 . I had one for five years and it never let me down .Had to change the rings once. Excellent bottom end and top end machine. very reliable too. Last year i upgraded to a 01 ZR 800 We'll see how its running after five years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This may not be a real popular answer, but I vote for the 440fan. I have owned lots of sleds over the years (current ZR600EFI, waiting for my F7 to come in), but that 440 fan has been a real work horse for cat. They run forever, get great milage, we use to see 19-20mpg in our old trail cat, the motor was the only good thing about that sled. I'll vote for the 440 and hope that 10 years from now someone is saying similar things about the slant 7 motor !! :D

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'll vote for the baby triple ZRT600. Great reliability and power. It doesn't care if I crawl through the woods with the kids or blast across a lake. It always performs. It's a crime what the media and magazine idiots did to this motor.
I also have the 500. Great motor also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i'm may take some heat for this but i have got to say the 530-550-580. the trips are great with lots of good points but a trip is not practical for the average rider. these babys are solid workhorse engines that are reliable and powerfull. we will have to wait to comment on the new f engines. they appear to have lots of potential. :) happy sleddin'!

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by KING CAT@Oct 4 2002, 10:19 AM
i'm may take some heat for this but i have got to say the 530-550-580. the trips are great with lots of good points but a trip is not practical for the average rider. these babys are solid workhorse engines that are reliable and powerfull. we will have to wait to comment on the new f engines. they appear to have lots of potential. :) happy sleddin'!
I would have to say the triples. I personally don't think the 580 is one of their best motors. It has a bad rep for breaking piston skirts and very low hp. If I remember right there was a post on another site that showed a survey that 2 out of 5 580 motors didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i'll bet atleast half if not more people that had those 580's in which 2 of five people did not have problems actually took care and looked their sled over once in a while

i dont know how many times i have seen cracked intake boots on the 580's the reason they like to drop piston skirts is because they get leaned out and i'll the other half melted down from twin pipes and other mods especially mods to the EFI sleds which were either not done properly of just pure abuse

also consider that this engine has been around for about 10 years already and a rated 97 horsepower was not too bad back in the day ski-doo's 583 had about 97-100 horsepower if i remember correctly yamaha's 600 twin had about that much and the baby triple had about 90 horse for the day the 580 was not too bad over the years the sleds are getting cared for less and more miles logged on i would think that a couple would be having some problems but again i bet over half of the problems were due to carelessness

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
The 600 triple was a good engine... however in most 600 triple owners ive talked to they said it was underpowered for the machine weight. I agree with king cat. the early 530-580 liquid twins were ahead of their time. Cat was still making the 580 until 2001 and is still making the 550 now. With very little changed it proves that the engine is a proven runner. I just wish the 550 boasted a little more HP. If the 580 made 97hp then i dont understand why the 550 couldnt come in a little higher then 80.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The 580 was not low on horsepower at all. The '96 Amsnow Shootout had the '96 dyno'd at 97 and some change. Most in its class. Although the motor did/does have some issues, I tend to agree that most of the problems were owner-inflicted through no fault of the motor. You'll find a ton of people that will argue that though.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by PowderBoy@Oct 4 2002, 05:53 PM
The 600 triple was a good engine... however in most 600 triple owners ive talked to they said it was underpowered for the machine weight.
The only "underpowered" 600 trips. were the '99 on up models. Even with the APV giving them a claimed 120hp(2 hp up from earlier models)they were set up from the factor as more of a cruiser.
JMO however... ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
There were a lot of great sleds in the past, but I predict the F7 is going to be THE SLED people will be talking about in the next couple of years from CAT. Why?

Well it's basically an improved (beefed up) version of an OPEN MOD Sno-Pro. If you could have predicted that CAT was going to come out with a consumer version of their Sno-Pro's with 140 horsepower 15 months ago, people would have said, "no way".

Well it's here, and the great thing about it (barring any major headaches) is it's even EFI which means NO JETTING worries. What is not to like? Maybe it's to powerful for some or it will seem that way. (But most of you don't complain about power.)

If you don't like the power of the sled (being to much) you can get an F5. I do believe the "Cat hype" that I've seen on their website and video. Simply because they've delivered before.

(If I sound excited, it's because the F7 is almost here. . . sorry.)

Anyway the only complaint I've heard from some people who've had a 711 Sno-Pro or some other open mod racing twin was, "it's got to much power". So new riders of the F7 will have to be careful if they haven't had a light weight machine with that much power. It's going to ROCK.

(Now I could go on about the fun we're going to see with the other products from other manufacturers. . . yes even the other products excite me, but I'll keep this post short.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by phazerhater+Oct 4 2002, 03:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (phazerhater @ Oct 4 2002, 03:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--PowderBoy@Oct 4 2002, 05:53 PM
The 600 triple was a good engine... however in most 600 triple owners ive talked to they said it was underpowered for the machine weight.
The only "underpowered" 600 trips. were the '99 on up models. Even with the APV giving them a claimed 120hp(2 hp up from earlier models)they were set up from the factor as more of a cruiser.
JMO however... ;)[/b][/quote]

i seem to remember the '95-'96 600's as being very strong. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by ATOMICAT@Oct 4 2002, 03:43 PM
Anyway the only complaint I've heard from some people who've had a 711 Sno-Pro or some other open mod racing twin was, "it's got to much power". So new riders of the F7 will have to be careful if they haven't had a light weight machine with that much power.
thats depends how good a rider you are! :D

happy sleding!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts