Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lookin at gettin one of the new types of helmets. right now i wear a sno cross helmet with googles. i'm ready to throw a few bucks for a helmet, but now i don't know which is best. i like the look of the bv2s, and i like the flip up face of a modular. and now skidoo's got this exo series. i drive a 04 renegade with a riser and ultra low windshield. i'm on the east coast of newfoundland and are winters are cold, but often damp, so fogging up is always a problem.

Let me know which you think is the best...

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been lookin at gettin one of the new types of helmets. right now i wear a sno cross helmet with googles. i'm ready to throw a few bucks for a helmet, but now i don't know which is best. i like the look of the bv2s, and i like the flip up face of a modular. and now skidoo's got this exo series. i drive a 04 renegade with a riser and ultra low windshield. i'm on the east coast of newfoundland and are winters are cold, but often damp, so fogging up is always a problem.

Let me know which you think is the best...[/b]
Any helmet that has a defrost,Crash dummy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any helmet that has a defrost,Crash dummy[/b]

you mean like an electric defrost. my sled doesn't have the hook up, but i kno its not a big task to hook one up. the new exo come with the elect shield i think

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
I have the modular.......have not fogged up once with it !

Snow4

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've always been alittle weary of trusting my face to the two little plastic clips that keep the face down on the modular. but all the same, i love the idea of flippin the face up when you get stuck....lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Let me know which you think is the best...[/b]
Actually i have been useing my Shoei street bike helmet for the past ten fifteen years, but as soon as taxes come i'm getting the defoger helmet that plugs into sled,My ### is getting to old, i want luxury. speed and gas staions are becoming a pain I just want to ride, time for my boy's to take over.Crash dummy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've got a nice bike helmet i love to wear too. but its just a solid single pane lens and it fogs like mad. i've tried to get a electric visor for it, but its very hard to find. i love the sno cross too, but its a pain in the ### sometimes. thanks guys. anyone have the bv2s?????????

·
Registered
90 Posts
bell used to have an add campaign that read "IF YOU HAVE A 10 DOLLAR HEAD WEAR A 10 DOLLAR HELMET" i use a shoei full face helmet with a snell rating. they are fiberglass constructed and are 10 times stronger than a polycarbonate helmet. face shields are available either clear tinted double layer anti fog or electric. when you buy a helmet make sure it fits snugly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i agree, a helmet that doesn't fit properly can be a hazard in itself. i too have a bike helmet with a snell rating, but i've had trouble in the past finding a shield. i'd settle for a dual layer if i could find it. i'm not 100% sure, but i think its a HJC-11 or something. i know there a HJC-10 and those are really common, and easy to get visors for, but thier not the same and the visors don't fit. Still looking for some comments on the BV2S if anyone has worn one. thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
unless it gets below 0^f I love my setup

b4 the spy goggles
[attachment=33167:The_Day_...2006_032.jpg]
after the spy
[attachment=33168:sw_week_077.jpg]

the b4 pic was after a small wipeout lol
I have a hjc modular with heated shield for the real cold and it works fine and is cheap

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wife and I both have the ski-doo modulars.. On our first big ride the snap that attaches the breather box on the ride side of my helmet came off... I was un snapping it and the whole snap piece on one side came off.. I rode without the breather for a bit but it was frigid.. Fortunately I had duct tape with me and did a quick and ugly repair..I didn't man handle the snap or anything, it just broke.. Waiting for replacement part now.. Ordered two in case it happens again.. No problems with the little clips that hold the helmet shut though.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Wife and I both have the ski-doo modulars.. On our first big ride the snap that attaches the breather box on the ride side of my helmet came off... I was un snapping it and the whole snap piece on one side came off.. I rode without the breather for a bit but it was frigid.. Fortunately I had duct tape with me and did a quick and ugly repair..I didn't man handle the snap or anything, it just broke.. Waiting for replacement part now.. Ordered two in case it happens again.. No problems with the little clips that hold the helmet shut though.[/b]
We always pick up an extra set of those ring clips for the helmets. You just never know when one of those buggers might break.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have both a BV2S and picked up a Skidoo Snocross at the end of last season.

I absolutely love the BV2S. It never fogs, is very comfortable, love the built in sunvisor and the peripheral vision is the greatest out there of all helmets. The front flip down portion is very handy when you need to talk to anyone or need a drink. The LED light on the back is nice for those following you when visibility is limited by heavy snowfall or just flying snow dust off the trail.
If I have a complaint, it would be that it's a very warm helmet. On a ride last year when it was way too warm, I ended up removing the front bottom piece. It still worked great and it snaps on and off quite easily. The helmet is pricey but worth every penny of it.

I've only had one chance to use the snocross helmet so far.
I bought it because it was on sale for 50% off, I wanted a helmet for those really warm days and as age is catching up to me, I know it's just a matter of time before I need to wear glasses to ride. With the snocross, I figure I can get the goggles that have the corrective glass lenses installed between the inner and outer lenses. Because I had problems getting the mount for my QuickStrap to stick, I've only had one chance to wear this helmet. It was -26C that night and with my NoFog mask was surprisingly warm enough. Using goggles and removing them everytime we stop to prevent them from fogging will take some getting used too. Getting used to a smaller field of view will take some more getting used to as well. It's really noticeable when crossing roads or checking on riders behind you. It is however noticeably lighter.

I know several riders that have the BV2S and all swear by it.

I know if you buy the BV2S, you won't be disappointed.
Just make sure it fits snug and take the time to learn how to adjust it properly.
The front mask is fully adjustable to make it fit snuggly but comfortably on you face.
You have to create a seal in order for it to work properly.

BTW, I have tried the Skidoo Modular and find the attachment method of the breath cup quite constrictive. It makes me feel claustraphobic. I know many out there love theirs.

My son has both helmets as well.
He feels the same way about both of his helmets.
His snocross has the techno bee graphics on it.
He's only worn the snocross one with just short of 1000 kilometers on, this season.
I think that the "cool factor" may have something to do with that. LOL

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
The ski-doo modular had me a little clausterphobic at first..... Once you are familiar with the breather box and have some practice with it that goes away.. The BV2S's functionality looks awesome but they are REALLY pricey!!!... I was surprised how quickly my wife picked up on the use of her ski-doo modular.. I tried to get her to practice with it before we went on a trip but she didn't... Still, she figured it out pretty quick... All those straps and clips and hoses are a little mind boggling at first. If a snap breaks you are doomed without duct tape. I still like the looks of the modulars though, compared to the BV's.. BV2S looks too spacesuit like IMHO... not that looks matter on the trails.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have both a BV2S and picked up a Skidoo Snocross at the end of last season.

I absolutely love the BV2S. It never fogs, is very comfortable, love the built in sunvisor and the peripheral vision is the greatest out there of all helmets. The front flip down portion is very handy when you need to talk to anyone or need a drink. The LED light on the back is nice for those following you when visibility is limited by heavy snowfall or just flying snow dust off the trail.
If I have a complaint, it would be that it's a very warm helmet. On a ride last year when it was way too warm, I ended up removing the front bottom piece. It still worked great and it snaps on and off quite easily. The helmet is pricey but worth every penny of it.

I've only had one chance to use the snocross helmet so far.
I bought it because it was on sale for 50% off, I wanted a helmet for those really warm days and as age is catching up to me, I know it's just a matter of time before I need to wear glasses to ride. With the snocross, I figure I can get the goggles that have the corrective glass lenses installed between the inner and outer lenses. Because I had problems getting the mount for my QuickStrap to stick, I've only had one chance to wear this helmet. It was -26C that night and with my NoFog mask was surprisingly warm enough. Using goggles and removing them everytime we stop to prevent them from fogging will take some getting used too. Getting used to a smaller field of view will take some more getting used to as well. It's really noticeable when crossing roads or checking on riders behind you. It is however noticeably lighter.

I know several riders that have the BV2S and all swear by it.

I know if you buy the BV2S, you won't be disappointed.
Just make sure it fits snug and take the time to learn how to adjust it properly.
The front mask is fully adjustable to make it fit snuggly but comfortably on you face.
You have to create a seal in order for it to work properly.

BTW, I have tried the Skidoo Modular and find the attachment method of the breath cup quite constrictive. It makes me feel claustraphobic. I know many out there love theirs.

My son has both helmets as well.
He feels the same way about both of his helmets.
His snocross has the techno bee graphics on it.
He's only worn the snocross one with just short of 1000 kilometers on, this season.
I think that the "cool factor" may have something to do with that. LOL

Jeff[/b]

thanks for the reply.... my problem is, that the weather here is often very damp or humid, and the humidity can make it impossible to keep a regular helmet clear, even the guys i kno with the modulars have to flip them up as soon as they stop. googles are great, but often inconvienent, and as you said, a narrow field of view. but i love that flat black helmet you have.....lol is it for sale

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use a HJC-15 Orbit with a double lens shield, was going to get the electric lens for 70 dollars more but decided i didn't need it. Even when i had a defrosting lens i never used it, i didn't like the dangling cord and i've never had a lens fog up on me before. I wear a balaclava underneath and have the breathbox bent tight up to my face. I just bought the HJC-15 this year but now im kind of wishing i would have bought a modular, it just didn't/doesn't seem safe enough to me. I haven't had any trouble with defogging, if it starts to cloud (when im standing around, not when im riding) i just open the front vent.

Winters are pretty dry here though.

And i've always hated the open faced helmets for snowmobiling, its way to cold here for those. Plus i've always found goggles to be a pain even when dirtbiking, my goggles are worth more than my helmet too so its not like i have cheap goggles.

My girlfriend uses the open face style, but thats because it doubles as her motocross/quad helmet... she also prefers quadding to snowmobiling (how is that possible!).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah the modular is a great helmet, but what happens if you take a real bad spill. like i said before, your trusting your face to those two plastic clips that lock the face of the helmet down into place. i'm wondering how much force it would take to make that face pop up? i've had a bad spill on a bike, and i've seen full faced helmets split, and still stay together. i just cant see the modular holding up in a really ####ty situation. but the whole concept of the flip of face is awesome. i'm still not sure what i want....lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts