Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
??? I just dont understand why so many people think AMSOil is THE oil to get. Everyone thinks the racers use it well my brother is a pro series snowmobile drag racer and he says everyone uses regular oil or they premix it with there fuel. Also he says that the fuel is what really matters (they run 92 octane with a 5% oxidation for quick burn). Not saying its a bad oil, its actually a very good oil. Also i know it keeps your valves clean. But Cats new synthetic is just as good. Now tell me is it just the price that matters? ???

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Too many Amsoil dealers on the net :hallo9:

They seem rather pushy like furniture salesmen :angry:

That being said Amsoil seems to be a good product,some friends use it with no problem

I run SHELL in my sled

I used to run Produmax GREAT OIL but can not seem to find it anymore ???

Used Produmax in my SRV for over 16,000km I bought the sled when it had 11,000kms and it still ran good after 27,000kms when I sold it

Buddy of mine uses Castrol in his sled and his valves are always clean

Some Yamaha riders I know use Bombardier Oil in their sleds and swear by it :p

Too many Amsoil dealers on the Net :blahblah:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree, AMSOIL is a good quality product with a reasonable price, it is kinda the best of both worlds and that is why it is so popular.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i've been usin klotz forever in my zrt 600, when opened her up at 6500 miles to rering it , the inside of my engine looked like it just came off the assemble line.... so i guess i would say that my preferance would be klotz

T

·
0 Posts
Amsoil is great. My 97 cat would foul plugs everytime out riding using Cat oil. A friend at work suggested i try Amsoil for it was cleaner burning. I switched to Amsoil and I haven't fouled a plug since. After that great experience, I switched my car over to Amsoil and my gas mileage increased 10%. I later became a dealer/preferred customer so I could by Amsoil at cost. One extra benefit with using the Amsoil in my sled was the improved performance I gained. My machine felt like it ran much more crisper. Kind of like when the jetting is right on! I now use Amsoil in all my stuff! :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The reasons so many use Amsoil are simple. It flat out works and the price is right. The fact you can buy it most anywhere doesn't hurt either. Why buy factory oils that in most cases don't perform as well but in every case cost far more.

No I'm not an Amsoil dealer but have used their products for years.

Freeserburnt:
Produmax has comeback from the dead, great oil in its day but who knows if its any good in a valved engine.
:D
Rick.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Another good product. Its hard to go wrong with any of the premium oils on the market. Its just with some of them, the price is much higher but they offer little/no advantage for the extra cost. Amsoil is a premium oil without the premium price tag.
:)
Rick.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use amsoil, a buddy of mine sells it to me for his cost. Can't beat it about half price from what a dealer charges for cat oil. Kevin :p

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I do have to agree with most. Amsoil is great oil. Its the combination of price and availability. The most bang for your buck. I used to use Klotz all the time. Great oil also. But costs alot more around here. I did however buy Klotz chaincase oil. I was gonna buy the amsoil but the guy at my local store talked me into the Klotz. He said he has seen guys have problems with chaincases leaking and they didn't catch it right off the bat but since they were running Klotz it kept them going without any burnup. Another guy ran amsoil and his burned up. He said the Klotz seems to be a little stickier or something. Bonds with stuff a little. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm not so sure about his explanation of the benefits of one over the other but just like inj. oil its hard to go wrong with any of the premium brands. I've used Amsoil's chain case oil for years with absolutely no negetive issues. I hope Klotz works out as well for you.
:D
Rick.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Yeah, I know its a long shot but it was about the same price and everything. I have heard similar stories of Klotz before, not sure if its true. But I have to admit, one thing that sold me and its kinda stupid. It had a nicer pour spout on the bottle than the amsoil did. I know, stupid reason.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I run klotz chaincase oil in all my sleds. I don't think it's any better or worse than any of the other synthetics, but it is nice and "sticky" with a low viscosity.

Last edited by phazerhater at Oct 21 2002, 09:24 AM

·
Registered
404 Posts
this Amsoil string is starting to sound like the "Old Navy Painter Pants" commercial that mocks the Green Acres sitcom

Amsoil - all thumbs up!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by phazerhater@Oct 20 2002, 04:23 PM
I run klotz chaincase oil in all my sleds. I don't think it's any better or worse than any of the other synthetics, but it is nice and "sticky" with a low viscosity.
You got that right. I filled mine last night and man is that stuff sticky. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I think using a high quality oil in a race sled is a waste of time. However in your own sled it is well worth it.

Amsoil is a very very good oil, probably the best. Ive run it for thousands of miles and never got a stuck rave.

Looking at the inside of a engine that runs amsoil vs. an engine thats churning regular doo oil is night and day. Its cleaner, and in better condition.

Ive not seen one sled personally have a crank fail or any interal engine problem under 10000km with amsoil. All these sleds are still going strong.

An other good oil is Castrol syntec. My 500 has been running it since 1998, It has 9800km on it. Compression is 150 both sides and it passes a leak down test. Also the Raves have never needed cleaning. I took them apart last weekend and there mint.

Most oils are good, But dont for one second think that your sled is getting the same treatment using regular oil vs. synthetic.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Originally posted by petestoy@Oct 20 2002, 08:09 AM
Its cheap, its good, and its available almost everywhere you ride. Ihave now seen it in gas stations along the trail.
only place I can find it is, www.amsoil.com

1 - 20 of 28 Posts