Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gang, here's the scoop.

I just (a few weeks ago) stole (didn't pay what it's worth) this immaculate '00 Z 440, with 1000 miles on her, and I have only put 11 miles on it thus far. (love it by the way)

Just tonight while giving her a once over, I noticed the idlers looking rough.
Everything else underneath looks great, just the two idlers are beat.

The track was studded when I bought the sled, and I don't see any that are loose, but the idlers on both sides are, for the lack of better wording, splitting.

Is this a problem Cat had w/ these idlers, or do you think it was caused by something else, or perhaps something the previous owner may have done?

I am going to want to get this resolved a.s.a.p. as there is finally a ton of snow to play in.....

So lets hear your thoughts, and or ideas, and possible solutions so that when I replace these, they won't end up torn up again....

Thanks in advance gang....you guys rock! :thumbsup:

[attachment=33462:idler_arrow.JPG]

[attachment=33460:idler_I.JPG]

[attachment=33461:idler_II.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
it happens

Skidoo were bad with the aluminium/rubber idlers

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
BTW how many studs you have?

Should be only studded down the middle IMO

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW how many studs you have?

Should be only studded down the middle IMO[/b]

Looks like 56 to me....

I am no particular fan of studs, as we don't get much ice around these parts, but it was studded when I picked it up.

Can the studs on the outer edge be taken out without a major risk of track damage, or should I just leave them in, and do you think the outer studs were the cause of the idlers going to the dumper, or it that just common place?
(I don't see any backers that look like they'd cause idler damage)

As you said, I'd prefer if it were only studded down the middle, but that's how she is....

Let me know what you think....Thanks!

[attachment=33479:DCP_3540.JPG]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
The studs on the outside of the track have split the idler wheels over time. The easiest fix is to just replace the split wheels with new ones and ride on. I would leave the studs in the track as they are and ride the sled. When it come time to replace the track and re-stud, then you will put the new studs down the middle of the track as has been recommended.

Enjoy the new ride.

John.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The studs on the outside of the track have split the idler wheels over time. The easiest fix is to just replace the split wheels with new ones and ride on. I would leave the studs in the track as they are and ride the sled. When it come time to replace the track and re-stud, then you will put the new studs down the middle of the track as has been recommended.

Enjoy the new ride.

John.[/b]
Thanks for your input John, I appreciate it. So far I love this Z, she really runs nice. :)

i 2nd last post. low snow will cause that too.[/b]
Tunedbyear, you're advice is always taken in the highest regard....thank you as well. :thumbsup:

I'll be putting new idlers on my baby a.s.a.p. and riding on with a big smile! :D

·
Registered
205 Posts

Enjoy the new ride.

John.[/b]

What he said ^^^

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, one more question....would you guys go with cat idlers or aftermarket, and if aftermarket, where'd ya get 'em from?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
pull the studs from the outside of the track.
it's very obvious that they're killing the idler wheels.
who ever put those studs there needs a good butt whoopin.
after you pull the studs-take a propane toch and sear the holes over until they almost melt.no-you're not hurting the track.
put on the idler of your choice-there almost all the same.
you might as well do the other side too-because it's been taking a beating too.
call me collect and tell me i'm wrong.
the boss knows-i've done it before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts