Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the trick to operating a track clip tool? What is the easiest
way to keep the base stationery and square to the track while turing the "compression
bolt" . I need to inslall ALL the clips on a track and it seems like I need 4 hands to keep
this tool from wondering while I'm installing a clip! I need all the help I can get here!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I never had to install the clips only 1 or 2 , but maybe you could use a c clamp to hould it down for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never had to install the clips only 1 or 2 , but maybe you could use a c clamp to hould it down for you.[/b]

There is a good amount of torque there. I've had to use a pipe wrench to try to keep
the base in position. There must be an easier way!! I'm beginning to think that this tool is used in a vise with the track
suspended above it!!!

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
There is a good amount of torque there. I've had to use a pipe wrench to try to keep
the base in position. There must be an easier way!! I'm beginning to think that this tool is used in a vise with the track
suspended above it!!![/b]

The pliers type is much easier to use, but since you have the clamp type, maybe try an impact wrench on the bolt. Maybe clamp a couple of 2 x 4's around the base to give you some leverage? I have never used one so I'm just throwing out ideas. I don't know if they will work or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pliers type is much easier to use, but since you have the clamp type, maybe try an impact wrench on the bolt. Maybe clamp a couple of 2 x 4's around the base to give you some leverage? I have never used one so I'm just throwing out ideas. I don't know if they will work or not.[/b]

Maybe I should try the pliers type. Does it work with the very old vintage bogie clip?
I have a vintage tool that includes a "clip shaper" to bend the ends of the clips over.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have both tools, pliers are best. the other, use an impact with another person holding the tool, stick a screw driver inbetween one of the bars and the srew shaft for leverage, for the pliers type, there is a narrow one for older sleds and a wide one. two different tools to buy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have both tools, pliers are best. the other, use an impact with another person holding the tool, stick a screw driver inbetween one of the bars and the srew shaft for leverage, for the pliers type, there is a narrow one for older sleds and a wide one. two different tools to buy[/b]

That's what I thought. "How many snowmobiler's does it take to install a clip?"

ANYWAY.... WHERE DO YOU BUY THE NARROW plier type?????
I found a plier type at RV Service Tools, part # 900323. They says its for
the Camoplast track. Is this one narrow or wide?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tools from the dealers are stronger but cost more, alot more[/b]

WOW! Talk about a "best kept secret"! I've already ordered the 1" plier type. It's 1/3
the price of the Camoplast plier tool. They want $150 for that one.

Hope this works better!!! Sure do appreciate the help!

I can't believe that I couldn't find them using Google.

·
Registered
35 Posts
neighbor had a 650 saber jet back in the middle to late 70's. he could hold on to the handle bars while standing on the ground and hit the throttle and it would stand staight up like you could do with a dirt bike. trail riding with him was slow, the skies were always in the air

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
WOW! Talk about a "best kept secret"! I've already ordered the 1" plier type. It's 1/3
the price of the Camoplast plier tool. They want $150 for that one.

Hope this works better!!! Sure do appreciate the help!

I can't believe that I couldn't find them using Google.[/b]

get the tool yet ? w00t

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
get the tool yet ? w00t[/b]

Not yet. Its backordered till August!!!! I've been playing around with
a bolt type. Its OK if you are somewhat coordinated. I hold the base with
a pipe wrench while I'm kneeling on the wrench handle! The tool has to be one
that the press looks like a top of a heart. There is one that I bought from Sno Stuff
that doesn't have enough curl designed into the press and doesn't hook the clips enough.

I'm not sure what clips this one works with but it really sucks witht the bogie clips.
Has anyone ever used the Sno Stuff clip tool on any clips? Its the one that comes
in the yellow plastic case. Mfgsupply sells it, along with others...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts