Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a set date when the trails are opened in the U.P. ? Most public trail systems are governed by the DNR,State or County and have set dates. Just want to know so I can plan an early trip possibly.

·
Registered
884 Posts
:withstupid: You can ride through the month of November, you just have restricted hours. I think it is 11:00AM to 2:00PM during the day, and you are allowed to ride all night. Keep that light brown helmut in the garage if you go out from 11 - 2 though, that still makes the hunters mad! Hell, give em' a break, wait until the evening or Dec. 1 st., they deserve their time in the Woods too!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
:) The trails don't open until Dec. 1st but now is the time that all of the work is being done to get the trails ready. We are working the next two weekends so the trail can be ready before the hunters are in the woods.

Call the club in the area that you ride, I'm sure they would love your help. You may even make some friends with the "locals".

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
CatRules is absolutely correct.

As stated in the snowmobile regulations, the trails are actually open to riding anytime. The only time there are any restrictions are during Firearm rifle season. (Nov 15th-30th) During then, you can ride up till 1/2 hour before sunrise, between the hours of 11:00-2:00, then 1/2 hour after sunset.

There is confusion regarding the Dec 1st dates. These are the dates that the trail maintenance begins (Trail Grooming)

Snow permitting we usually take a night trip and start at 8 and ride to 12 around thanks giving weekend.

·
Registered
678 Posts
That 11 to 2 thing is supposed to be an exception for the hunters transportation. 1/2 hour before light to get to your hunting area, 11-2 for lunch and 1/2 hour after for getting out of the woods.

PLEASE stay off the groomed trails until Dec 1, the people that tear it up early make the base worse for the rest of us for about 6 weeks after Dec. 1

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Guys,

Unless something has changed from last year, 12/1 is the date when the DNR leases start on the sections of trails that are not publicly owned. Do us all a favor and don't try running on these sections before then. It would be the same as tresspassing anywhere else.

The times the trails are open during rifle season are for use on KNOWN PUBLIC PROPERTY ONLY.

Let's not give them another reason to get upset with us.

AL

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Plus, do you really think there will be enough snow to get out there before Dec 1st.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Those are the laws though, as in the DNR snowmobile regulation handbook that they hand out.

IT says this:

A person shall not operate a snowmobile:

In an area open to public hunting during the firearm dear season from 7am till 11 am, and from 2 to 5 pm

This tells me, and I have been re assured by the local DNR, that I can ride any public land before 7, between 11 and 2, and after 5. It's the law. Call the DNR, they will tell ya the same. If it snows in June, you can go out and ride.

When we go it is during the week, like on a tue or wed.

And I have ridden every year in Nov since I have been riding. In Oct once even

·
Registered
884 Posts
800MXZ, I agree with you totally on your last statement. We too have spent many years at our cottage over Thanksgiving riding in those allowed hours. I have a hard time doing the 11-2 thing, but do not mind at all riding in the evenings. As you said, the DNR said we are allowed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts