Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is up with the RX-1. The Ullmers and Haucks still are using the Srx. They are winning some with these sleds right now. But everyone knows they have the Rx-1's for quite some time now. The Yamaha payout for a win on a RX-1 is high, but not the Srx. Will we see the top dogs on a RX-1 at all at Hayday's? I am starting to think not as much chance as early indications were pointing at. 500 feet is not a long race, and maybe the thing is hard to hook up and go being 40 lbs heavier than SRX Approximately,lol. What's up?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Hang on, we'll see this weekend.  

A guy on american snow reports that his buddies ran a stock RX-1 against a stock ZR-900 yesterday. He guess's that it was about 600 ft.  First run they were even, second run back the ZR took the RX-1 by about a sled.  Their wives made them shut em down.  A Cat guy reported this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yamaha is waiting for haydays for its debut. you'll see it at haydays, garanteed!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
guess we know who wears the pants in their house  

·
Registered
25 Posts
rx1 weight a little to heavy to get hooked up quickly,in 500ft.I took my wts. out today and weighed them 73grms. stock for 121 tracked sled. The secondary was at 60 degrees wind i increased it to70d.
The front spring is a rather light one i understand. It is a yellow silver yellow with a .230 wire 3.5" long free play. Engagement is 3200-3400 tach speed,clutch is a slow 1700rpm,shift is hard to see unless ya run over 700' top rpms seem low at around 9200rpm,needs to be at 10,200 to really run,we ran ours at the dealer on very dry grass,with sliders smoking and track racheting at 106 on speedo,properbly not the most accurate speedo around with track spining and such. But its a start.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't think the RX-1 will ever become a great drag sled unless the tracks are longer than 500' for two reasons.
1. It's too heavy for the horsepower it makes.
2. An OHC engine doesn't have instant torque at low RPM like
   a OHV engine which accelerates faster from a standing  
   start.
The problem is Yamaha won't pay contingency money for an SRX win in stock classes this season. If Yamaha knows how to make the RX-1 competitive, they better tell their racers fast, because last weekend the RX-1 wasn't even close to where it needs to be by Saturday(Hay Days).
The RX-1 will make a fine trail cruiser and lake racer, but grass drag sled it's not. I hope for the Yamaha faithful, that the racers continue to use the SRX until the factory helps their drivers of the RX-1.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I can see it now, the blue underwear types here at work will be bragging about how the SRX did at the drags this fall & the RX1 is nowhere to be seen.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah, they showed up at haydays, but from what I hear from Saturday's results, they probably whish they didn't.

Looks like the REV is the sled to beat both the 600 and 800.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Srx wins over Rx-1. One Rx-1 made it past the quarter finals Sunday in 700 class, but that was the end of it. The Rx-1 ran 84mph on its best run with Jerry Fix aboard. In contrast a few Doo 600 H.o's ran 85mph. Haydayswas not a help to Rx-1, but maybe the display booth made up for it. Yamaha won Open mod 800 as the other class of the 30 finals in Pro ranks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In the 500 they didn't do that good but if you noticed by the 350-400ft mark they were screaming! I was there on sunday, wasn't suprised to see that they were sucking wind but was impressed by just how hard they pulled at what I would est. to be 65-70MPH

·
Registered
83 Posts
sharky I was there on sunday and I thought Jerry fix made the 800 final on his rx1 and was eleminated in the 700 by Pat Hauck and another srx in the semi's. On Saturday the rx1 I saw with orange accessories held his own in the trail stock 700 and 800.Unfortunatly from where we were watching on Saturday we couldn't hear the announcer so don't know final positions. Still waiting to find final results.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was not the Rx-1, in either 800 stock class final. I do know Pat Hauck was in 800 triple class with SrX, and I believe he made the final. The Rx-1 needed a couple of wins to make those finals, or at least second. It made it to 1 semi-final in 700 multipipe. Where it ended up 4th in that heat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This was from a guy that was a die hard RX1 fan all summer.

WELL, I must say, I watched an rx run 1320' at new england drags today. All I will say, is I went to my dealer afterwards, to cancel my order on the rx and bought a viper w/ 163hp kit, instead. saved $2000 even after the mods, and it will fly! I wish I could say the same for the rx. I am crushed by the lack of top end performance. Maybe the dealer wasn't set up right, or doesn't know what he's doing, but he's made a horrible first impression. The rx will be a great touring sled that gets excellent fuel milage with great performance, but if u bought one because you thought it would smoke an srx or other sleds, u r in for a rude awakening! I won't say what it did, because it is possible something was wrong w/ it, or something. A stock srx was 10 mph faster on the same track, and 1/2 second quicker in the 1/4.That to me was dissapointing enough to change my mind on my purchase. Oh well, honda is in yamie's gonna go bancrupt for lying!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
As soon as he said he saved $2,000 even after getting that HP kit I knew he was full of Sh*t.  No way, unless it was used.

Too many people have reported that once the RX-1 got rolling it was reelling everything in except for a really fast T-cat.  Unfortunately, 500 feet comes up pretty quick. The same guy talked about how a ZR-900 got a real good hole shot on the RX-1 and by the end the RX-1 only lost by a ski.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts