Snowmobile World banner

Where. are the trails in Indiana?

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  LakeEffectSledhead 
#1 ·
where are the trails in indiana?

#5 ·
Its not the miles, its just having a trail system to ride. I have only ridden the trail system in Indiana west of South Bend and it is first class in my opinion. I like it enough that I joined the club to help make sure it stays first class. You can ride for hours and not be on the same trails 80% of the time due to many sections being one-way. The South Bend trails (Buffalo Run) also connect to a system of trails in Michigan near Galien, Michigan, but not the Niles trails (which would be wonderful if they did).

It's worth the drive from Indy if you have the need, which if you're like the rest of us you will need that "fix" as often as possible!

Tony

#8 ·
The biggest obstacle I see is the St. Joe river. There are some old train bridges, I think, but I don't think the Four Flags club can afford to update a bridge for sleds. And it's not like up north, where sledding makes or breaks a local economy, so you won't get any outside help.

Thinking of all the bridges across the river, the only car bridge that may work is in Berrien springs.

Actually this is a great business opportunity! We can have the trail on both sides of the bridge, and people can pay me to transport there sleds across (ala, Big Mac)!! :D

I'll ask the South Bend Snowmobile club at the next meeting if anyone has done a feasability project on the idea.

Tony

#9 ·
I thought the every state had money set aside for things like this. I know I saw that the state of Ohio has a fund for trails. The article I read it in was talking about how this money comes from the federal government and if we do not write in and ask for different things, they can take up to 50 or 75% of the money and use it in other areas. So they basically said that since we (in Ohio) were not standing up and saying we want trails, the money was being taken and used elsewhere.
I have no clue where I read that article, but I will see if I can dig it up to get more paticulars out of it. But there is money there from the state, and federal government, we just have to ask to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.