Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to go sledding in Idaho this winter, since there not predicting
much snow in Washington. There are a lot of places to go from searching
the web. Does anyone have any first hand knowlegde of the powder hot spots.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I was in West Yellowstone, Montana last Feb. We rode to Island Park Idaho, That was some great riding. Lots of snow and great climbs. I was at the snow show and talked to some people from McCall, Idaho. McCall is 100 miles north of Boise, they had pictures and it looked like a snowmobilers heaven!
If you plan on staying in Idaho or Montana, make your reservations NOW!!! They book up quickly( lack of snow makes people drive to the mountains) and you get a better rate if you bok in advance.

FZ700 :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks F2700, it seems most of the folks on this forum are more back east
or central US and Canada. I think were planning on going to Priest Lake in
Northern Idaho. The pictures look awesome. Thinks for the tip on the lodging.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ahh yes, McCall. It is a beautiful place. I find myself up there numerous times throughout the year as I am from the Boise area. Here is a picture of Payette lake looking towards the Northeast. If I remember right, I took it about 2 years ago around the end of November, or beginning of December in 2000. I'm starting to think that favorite places to go sledding are sort of like a fisherman's private fishing hole, you don't tell the whole world about it. Oh well.

Snow-Drift

·
Registered
1 Posts
idaho sucks.
they never have any snow.
the hills aren't very tall.
people aren't friendly.

and the snow they do get is blue.

oh. and they have no beer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
drmiller, I have no idea who you are, but signing up in this forum to make the post you did makes you an unintelligent chump, especially for your first post. There is no place for that in here. That's your opinion and one that doesn't need to be shared. :cussing:

To answer your question Wantabe, Idaho has several great places to ride. McCall is good, too many people for my liking though. Outside of Cascade, about 30 miles from McCall, is some good riding, too. The Stanley and Sun Valley areas are great places to ride also. My favorite is about 30 miles east of Sun Valley, hardly anyone knows where it is, so there is a lot of fresh fluff to play in. Fairfield, the Trinities, Cat Creek, etc. etc. There are several places. I haven't done much riding in Northern Idaho, but that will be changing this winter as I now live up north. I have heard that the Priest Lake area is a good one though. Hopefully we both will find out. Need some more info., I can probably help you out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Crazy, man, chill out a little.

DRmiller is jesting, of course. Miller, it backfired, I'm coming to Idaho for the great sledding. Hope to see you there and maybe you can show me some other "undesirable spots" and we can drink some non-beer. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am from Mill Creek Washington and I go to Idaho every your . I love it.

Priest Lake is the the biggest place to ride. There are many bowls to play in. The Extreme Snowmobile videos are filmed there. You can also ride a trail up the backside of Schwitzer Ski Resort. From the top you can take the ski lift down and have lunch at the lodge. It only costs $5.00 to ride the lift back up to your sled.

Avery Idaho is another fun place to ride. Avery, is an old logging town. Some of the trails are along side old railways. The St. Joes Snowriders snowmobile club takes pride in their well groomed trails. They got a new grooming machine for their area last year. They also sponser a day long poker run that includes a BBQ and fun for the entire family.

Fernan Saddle is another fun place to ride. The trail head is abouve Fernan Lake or you can start from Bumble Bee camp ground. About 30 miles in is the Cascade Lodge. You can get food and drink there. They also sell gas and you can even rent a room and stay the night. (We have stayed there. It's really nice!) The only way to get to the lodge is by snowmobile.

If your in Sand Point you can snowmobile on Baldy Mountain. It is about 15 minutes out of town. There are awesome veiws of Canada from the top. If your staying in Sand Point, I recommend dinner at the Hydra resteraunt.

We are going to Idaho the last week of January. If you have any questions send me a message. See you there!!!

We ride Polaris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts