Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !! In a older post,  i mentioned that i had powervalve problem and this problem probably caused my sound problem but this sound is always there. This sound appeared after my  clutch problem. I have check the three pipes cause i jump alot with  the sled and i was thinking about a bad pipe connection. I dont have check other thing than that. Its a very acute sound that i can hear at 7000 RPM and more

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
will try with a better english
) sorry

its a high pitched whistling noise that i hear at high rev (start at 6500) ... i know its not the clutch, or track or bearing, i have try it on a stand without the belt. Powervalve has been checked and cleaned. Didnt find a problem with pipes connection. Where to start checking now??? Like i said, the performances did not change but this sound is very abnormal, i dont want to worsen (good word???) the situation .... thx for you help...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If its a whisle you might want to check the carbs and how there attached.  At high rpms you might have a air leak around the carb boot.  This can cause a whistle.  

Try tighting the carbs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i think whistle is not the good word. Sorry im french
)

The sound is more like electrical razor...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Im sorry to have to say this but if you ran it with out the belt and it still made the noise and it didnt make this noise when your first got it then you might be looking at somthing like a crank bearing ready to go.  

I have never heard anything sound like a electric razor.  But I would think that if somthing is that intence at 7000 rpm its probably not the pipes, its probably somthing spinning most likely a bad bearing.  

Ask your self a few questions.  

1. Are you sure this is a new noise, not just one that was there all along just never noticed.  

2. Are the pipes connected good as far as you can tell.  (Even though i dont think that lose pipes would cause this.

3. Can you find out where it is coming from if you listend for it when someone is giving it gas.

Also tell us how bad or loud this sound is.  If you can hear it over 7000rpm it must be pretty major.

My friends srx blew a crank but i dont recall any noise it just went.  You may be very lucky if it is a bearing that you have a warning.  

If i were you i would want to find out what it is before doing anymore 7000rpm test.  Maybe a call to a dealer is aproprate.

Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well ####, Its more a major problem than a little problem if i understand well. Its a new sound for sure. Even my girlfriend make the remark about the sound change... I will make some tests again tonight thx

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Did you say earlier that you had a clutch problem.  This may be related to that.  

What year yamaha is it.  I know if it were my mach and it was 4 years old i would still go to the dealer and say what the [email protected]#$.  Maybe they will still cover you as long as your still stock or really close.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI!!  

Ya, i had a cluch problem and the clutch was serviced. This is a 1998. I know i can go to the dealer but i dont have enough money to paid 50$ an hour. I check myself the sled with the help of some friends .... I have put the sled on a Stand this afternoon for try to locate again the sound but i can hardly hear the sound like that. Its more apparent when i ride the sled and a thing is sure, this sound came from the engine. Maybe its just gasket and O-RING powervalve (i need to change them cuz oil leaking) I dont think it can be a crankshaft bearing that cause this cuz i think i will hear the sound at idle

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Is it a SRX.  Because the 98 srx had a lot of crank problems.  There is a recall on them.  So you should check to see if your machine ever had it done.  Just call a dealer with the serial number and he should be able to tell you.  

Bearings can make the weirdest noises so i wouldnt count it out.  

But it could still be somthing in the clutch.  But I can almost be sure with what your discribing that its a bearing of somesort.  The powervalves if jamed would not make a weird noise like that. You would just get crap performance.   powervalves because there either stuck in the up position of down and with yamaha maybe somewere in the middle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Mach, Yes, my CrankShaft was verified. Do you think that can be worn gasket or o-ring that cause that???

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I dont know.  If it sounds like an electric shaver then it sounds alot like a bearing.

What o-ring are you talking about.  The headgasket.  If that was the case you would be eating coolent.  If it was the base gasket samething.  Other then that what is there.

I would get it checked out.  One of those engines can go upwards of 3000.00 cdn.

Hopefully its nothing serious but it could be and if you dont do anything about it a 200.00 fix could turn into a 4500.00 fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts