Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I searched on this already but let's go over it again. I have a new mxz500. Which oil should I run? syn vs non syn? What should I break it in with? If I change to syn. do I need to adjust anything? Is Amsoil really the best bang for the buck? Thanks SWRules

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 99' 670 and a 02' 500 fan - I have ran just the regular Bombadier brand and had no problems at all. The 99' went 2000 miles before the RAVE's were checked and they were in great shape.
IMO - if your just the average trail rider with the once in a awhile lake run Regular would be fine..
Rubber Side Down

·
Registered
191 Posts
I ran Shell Advanced synthetic last year on my 96MXZ... dealer said they had quite few failures that could be blamed directly to that oil on reed based engines... I will be switching back to regular Ski-doo injection oil for it and my new REV... dealer will also sell it to me at bulk price so that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use Amsoil both the series 2000 and the standard synthetic
The standard synthetic is priced quite competitively. less than you would pay at a dealer for regular bombardier oil
The series 2000 is also competitive with the cost of other synthetics less than you would pay at a dealer for synthetic bombardier oil.
I use many of there product in my other vehicles as well.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I run the regular synthetic amsoil not the 2000 series, I can buy it for less than factory doo oil and it is a full synthetic with a low pour point. My valves stay clean, and my motor still runs with 6000 miles on it with 150 lbs in all 3 cylinders. I am satisfied with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Break your new sled in w/ standard petrol based oil, not synthetic. after the first 500 miles, start using synthetic. AMSOIL is the best oil, and its cheap as well. The series 2000 stuff is meant for racing, when the engines are pinned 24/7 so the heat is there to burn everything up, and we dont race like sno-x so use the regular amsoil synthetic.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Run regular AMSOIL Synthetic, not the series 2000. Series 2000 is for racing only, and you are more likely to foul a plug while running the series 2000, plus it is more expensive. I just paid $14 for a gallon of the regular synthetic.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Everyone always has their own opinion on this topic. If your worried just run the ski-doo oil. They put their name on it so they know it works well with their sleds.

·
Registered
310 Posts
$38 a gallon...... or.....
$13.50 a gallon. make your own choice.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Regular amsoil is best bang for your buck. Series 2000 is meant for moded motors (elevated cylinder temps) if you run it in a regular motor it will work but you will notice plug fouling and leakage if its a valved motor. Don't waste the money run the regular!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been using Canadian Tire oil ($10 Canadian on sale for 4 liters) in my FZ670 since new, it now has 9100km, exhaust valves have never never gummed up, compression is 160 psi on both cylinders. Also my wife had a Formula s 380 she put 14000km with the same oil, compression 155psi on each cylinder, too bad she sold it I would have liked to see how much millage that 380 would have lasted. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
i use the regular bombi oil and have never had any problems!!...i think the synthetic oil is a bit pricey.....

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I run the regular Bombardier oil in all my sleds. Never a problem. I get it in bulk at my dealer for $20 Canadian for 4 Lt. I baught a new gas can and just take that to my dealer and he fills it up for me. Besides Castrol makes the oil for Doo. I tried some of the different syn's out there and always had a major problem with the ex valves gumming up real bad. Sometimes to the point of sticking in less than 300 miles. With the regular Doo oil I now have to clean my valves every 1200 - 1500 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I don't have an opinion really, I can't give you a comparison because I only use one brand.

I broke both sleds in on regular Bombi oil (first 500 miles) then switch to synthetic.

I took my 583 to 15,000 MILES before I tore it down. Could have gotten away with just rings but did a full rebuild while apart.

I'm gonna keep dooin' what I'm doin'. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
677 Posts
We'v all been running klozt for years and have never had any problems, i haven't cleaned my rave valves ever on my 4 year old mach z. I check them at the begining of every season and they are perfect. Plus klozt has that sweet smell, and it dosnt burn the eyes of your buddies behind you when you'r in the woods.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:) Thanks for everyones input!! I had to uncover my sled today just to look at it again. I've got the itch.

·
Registered
168 Posts
After 24,500 milles on my Z engine ,i used only Polaris standard oil!!!!!If you have good engine and good set-up used standard oil! If you have bad engine and probably bad set-up used the best oil it can help you to survive!!!!

Take care! And if it work fine don't "modify" it!!! Z36Qc
:D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Reg Amsoil Synthetic. Cheaper than Ski Doo petroleum oil and will NOT gum up the exhaust valves near as much as petroleum oil. I pull my valves once a year to check them and have very minimal carbon build up on them--not even close to sticking. If you're breaking in a new engine, use petroleum oil first to seat the rings. Amsoil is to slippery to let the rings seat to the cylinder walls. Amsoil IS compatible with regular petroleum oil, plus it has good rust inhibitors to protect the engine while in storage. It flows better in cold weather also. !!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts