Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a new track this week and I am wondering which track is better. My friend is using the Bombardier OEM 1.25 track with 96 studs. He has had no problems with this track.  Yesterday i saw the 9818 and it looks more agressive that the OEM.  The lugs look thicker and are stiffer.  I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what track is better? I also would like to know which track weights less?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i have had both tracks and the 9818 is a better product,its more durable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know what track was lighter?  How does the 9818 hold up with the use of studs? I am going to use either 96 or 120 studs in the middle and I was wondering how tough is the track. A friend of mine used a 1 inch kimpex track with 144 studs and at the end of the season he had 17 studs pulled through. The dealer said that it was because the track compound was not strong enough. Is the 9819 strong enough?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
not sure which one is lighter(never put them on the scale),and up here we dont stud our sleds so i have no clue about that either,9818 is a very impressive track for trail and powder riding

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same dilema last year.  I bought an oem 1.25 from my doo dealer when I bought my sled last fall and also picked up a 9818 up at Haydays pretty cheap.  The 9818 already had stud holes drilled so I went with that one for the winter and had good results.  Before studding I weighed both of them with my fish scale.  The predator was 39lbs. and the oem was about 37lbs.

A buddy of mine has run the oem on his last 2 sleds with real good results as well.  I'd say their both decent tracks!

If you decide to go with the oem 1.25 and want a good buy, let me know.  I still have the one I bought from my dealer last year sitting on my shelf.  It's still in the original wrapper.  Looking to get $375 for it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.  I see that you live in cochrane. Now I now why you dont use studs. I was up there last Febuary for the first time.  Wow, you guys sure get a wack load of snow.  How early do you usually get snow? Where I am, we dont usually get good ridable snow until late December. Kinda sucks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DootheDoo, I am interest in your oem track for $375, depending on where you live. I dont wanna drive a long way just for a track.  Let me know where you live and maybe we will do some business!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
chuckman24 stop in next time..lol
,we usually start having snow at the end of november,but takes a while before groomer can get out and fill in all the swamps,so in the beginning i usually truck it out to a old road and put on a few miles before all the ditchs and power lines are safe,a lot of places get more snow than us,its just that come november it stays below zero and doesnt melt,and we are safe till end of march for riding,i can only remember 1 winter where we couldnt ride in march.

·
Registered
328 Posts
pantera, how long of drive is cochrane from sault ste marie?  could you give me a description/comparison of your trails compared to the u.p.  other than the fact there probably isn't near the number of sleds.       thanks

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
we are 6 hours north of the sault,traffic very low during the week(weekend i avoid the trails),you can ride all day and only meet a couple sleds,although every year a few more are getting up here,ive never been to the u.p,but around here many of the trails are very wide and fast,you can easily cruise 80-100mph on many trails,we have a very good reputation in the north for our trails,cochrane,smoothrockfalls,kapuskasing,hearst,kirklandlake,they cant always be 100% but are pretty close,hopefully a few more people who have ridden here and have a good experience will post also.if you ever need any info on cochrane  let me know

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chuckman24,
I'm in southern Wisconsin. Check your message center, I left you a note last night!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've gotta agree with Panteraone,  The Cochrane/Timmins/Hurst area is truely a great place to ride and ride fast.  We've been up there twice in the past 4 years due to minimal snow conditions down here in the midwest.  When Panteraone says you can average 80-100mph, he's not joking.  It's definately big iron country up there!  The first year I was up there I had a Mach Z and last year with a 800 MXZ.  The sled is taped most of the time.  Doesn't do much for gas mileage, but the trails are wide, smooth, and fast so the extra few buck spent on gas is not even a thought!

NEVER pass up a gas station though, there's sometimes many miles between stops.

There's also many trails that have twisties and can get your body temperature up if you get sick of cruising at 100 all day!

Definately worth the 15 hour drive!

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Ditto on that Panteraone. The 9818 rocks . I put on over 10000 kliks with no problems,( low snow winters 00/01). It is also a staggered lug height for MORE traction.  IMHO  it is better than the OEM track.  As far as the trails in Cochrane go.  It's just like the sign says." The worlds number one snowmobile trails" We are going to be purchasing one of our permits from the Polar bear riders this fall and one for our home region. Check prices for your track chuckman. I have seen some steals on ebay lately.

·
Registered
328 Posts
pantera, reading about your trails sent me into daydreaming land.  ahhhh.  hopefully I can make it there someday.

doothedoo, where are you at in wisconsin?  I am 11-12 from munising, so I assume cochrane would be around 20 hours for me.  20 hours would be no problem the way the riding sounds up there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I ride w/ Panteraone alot, and he can show you some great places to ride.  We always have a great time when we go...

·
Registered
32 Posts
2tone, I'm near Madison.  We drove non-stop from here to Timmins, which is about an hour south of Cochrane.  It took us 14.5 hours. (only stopped a couple times for gas and a quick fast food meal - also spent about a half hour at the border exchanging money)

I guarantee you will forget all about the long drive once you get on their trail system up there!

Coming home sort of sucks though!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts