Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying my sled earlier this week I figured I'd give it a quick checkup to make sure I don't get stranded on the first trip.. I started with some new spark plugs.
So I checked some site and saw that BR9ES were the recommended plugs for my engine, so I ordered a box of 10 online. The day after I was at a local dealer, and this guy really knows his Ski-Doos, he writes technical articles for magazines and always has an answer to everything you throw at him. So anyway I asked him which plugs he recommended, and he gave me BR9ECS. I didn't look at the box but just took them home, where I discovered they were ECS instead of ES. They were quite a bit more expensive than the ES but I bought a bunch of other things as well so I didn't really notice.
So then I was going to replace the plugs that were in the sled with these ECS, and discovered the plugs in the sled were BR9EYA.

So now I'm totally confused :) Which ones do I use? I'm sure BR9ES will work fine and they are the cheapest of the bunch.
But what are the advantages with BR9ECS or BR9EYA plugs over those?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
BR9ECS is a copper cored plug thats supposed to be more resistant to oil fouling.
BR9EYS is a projected (longer) firing tip and insulator that is supposed to self clean.
BR9EIX is an Iridium cored plug which has the same properties as both the above spark plugs. If your sled runs fine with the standard solid terminal BR9ES why invest more money for nothing. The above spark plug are good for high mileage machines which Idle extensively and generally run most of the time at low speeds not benefiting from a good high speed run to burn the accumulated carbon deposits off.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for clearing that up!
I'm not sure if there were BR9EYS or BR9EYA in the sled. They didn't look pretty but then again I have no idea how long they've been in there.
One thing I did notice is that it seems to idle better with BR9ECS than whatever was in there before.

I haven't actually tried BR9ES but I'm just assuming they'll work fine as those are the plugs that are/were recommended. I'll give them a try soon and see if I notice any difference between ES and ECS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts