Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please give me your opinions of which one of these two sleds you'd buy.  Pro's and Con's if you will.  My riding area is in Minnesota so its ditches and trails that see a grommer once a week if that.  Couple of trips to MI.  Fairly aggressive, yet some times like to cruise at 40-50 mph.

2003 440 Pro X Fan   or 2003 XCSP 500

What do you think?

·
1,327 Posts
Go with the 500 XCSP,

My neighbor has a 2002 and it rocks. That little polaris twin is pretty fast.

500cc VES, Liquid cooled VS 440cc FAN, you do the math.

I haven't ridden the ProX fan but I would stick with the Liquid engine.

There is under $1000 price difference as well.

I don't think you would notice the difference in suspension unless you were racing anyway.

That's my $.2

DP

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
if it was the 440 liquid i would say get that, but now id say the 500.

·
Registered
625 Posts
XCSP 500 with an M-10 if the trails are that bad, with proper setup they claim there is nothing better on a bumpy trail short of sno-cross racing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was basically after the 440 Prox because of the lightweight chasis and the excellent suspension, better egro's and better graphics.  

The power of the 440 Fan has been the only thing holding me back.  I've talked with a few folks who had the 02 fan and they said it had decent low end grunt and a top end of about 80mph.  For 03 POL put in a digital CDI and better timing curve.  BUT all of you have posted that the engine is the major factor.  I have to admit that I'm worried about being disapointed by the Fan's power.  Wish there was a place to go and test drive one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Funny to say that F3600, I wish I could also.  Ive order an '03 prox 440 fan last spring and have been on a due or die mission to obtain as much info about it as i can.  At first i was very concerned about the engine performance but after talking to many people with '02, polaris race dept., polaris reps, and polaris engineers, everyone ensured me that it was a must buy for the '03 season.  They said that it wont be a 400 liquid, but the little fan will run this year.  They exspect a 20% hp increase from last year due to piston coating, new exhaust, additional porting, and reconfigured exhaust valves.  So based on that factor of increased HP, the new roller clutch, the extra 10lbs of weight loss, the dependability, and thats its a cool sled, I BOUGHT ONE.  I've got a complete listing of aftermarket parts I'm gonna due to mine when it comes in.  I do admit the machine definitely wont be "stock" anymore, but when I'm done it will be pulling about 88hp. and weight around 410lbs.

A

·
0 Posts
I hear alot of 440 owners complaining that it doesn't have much power.  Fan's seldom do.  Go with the 500.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I own a 02 440 pro-x fan it is an great sled to ride. I bought cause I need a light sled for ditch banging and jumping. I don't know what you have know, but a had a 97 ZRT 600  before I bought the X. And I wasn't disapointed at all with the Pro-X, it is quite a fast sled for a fan 90-95mph. I did think about the 500L/C but the racing flair of the Pro-X just won me over. If I had more money thought I would be on a 02 440 Pro-X L/C or a new Firecat F5
 Just buy the Pro-X you won't regret it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I thought about a purchasing a Pro-X fan as well. And to tell you from my experience it would be enough sled to really have fun on. If you're not looking for top speed, just a lot of low end and ditch banging this is a nice sled. It does have a rougher ride being set up for racing than the 500 would on the trails from what I've been told. I too like liquid cooled though. They run great no matter what the temp is outside. I ended up purchasing a MXZ 500 this last July. No regrets yet, other than it's not a Polaris, but I couldn't pass on the deal.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
This is a no brainer. The Liquid is the only way to go.

1- power
2- longevity- liquids will run well past 10,000 miles, with   decent care, all the time
3- noise
4-resale value
5- for anyone shy of a full on racer, the difference in weight is no big deal

AL

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey TaTaLover78,

Can you give me a list of the aftermarkets you are buying or have found.  I'd appreciate it.

F3600.....

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would prefer the liquid over fan anyday. I would also look at the xc500 or even the indy 500 and get a set of fox shocks installed. The reason behind the indy500 is It will be cheaper and will more than likely last alot longer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here it is, if you have any questions email me; [email protected]  I plan on drag racing it in the trail 440 fan class, doing this little bit of mod to it will still qualify you to run it.  (the clutch kit is the only thing is question right now, trying to decide Goodwin or EPI)

SPORTECHINC.COM  
            WINDSHEILD, 9" RED  CEGX-RD $79.95

PURE POLARIS
            HANDLE BAR, 45 DEGREE 2872482-83 $16.99
SKID PLATE, LIGHT WEIGHT
                     (NO COLOR)               2872397      $59.49
TRACK, 1.25"X15X121 LUG 5411995-?    $407.99
STUDS, 1.375" X 5/16"
                       GOLD DIGGER
                        (96 PACK)   NA       $152.99
BACKERS, STUDS                NA              $42.49
TEMPLETE, STUDS                NA         $21.24
SEAT, LIGHTWEIGHT 2900181        $416.29

Hot Seat Performance
HOOD HOLD DOWNS (3 SETS)  Hsphsk         $14.95

NORTHSTAR HOODS
02 INDY RED LIGHTWEIGHT HOOD
              (SHIPPING INCLUDED)    INDICATE PRO X   $399.99

GOODWIN RACING
CLUTCH KIT                2283        $229.95

K&N FILTER
                      AIR FILTERS,
                 CIRCULAR CYLINDER      NA         $42.99

I hope it helps, by guess I say you will loose about 21lbs (if you dont stud it) and about 18lbs if you stud it.  Using AMSOIL RACING SYN. Oil, the k&n filter, down sizing 1 needle size, and the clutching you should feel quite a bit larger gain the HP to ground.  You may also want to re-gear to your needs.  Right now i'll be running the stock 21:41 gears, but may go to the 23:41 for drag.   Good LUCK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts