Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I are going to be heading over to the whitestar auctions.. been reading up on here about the auctions there and ill be bringing a compression tester pencil paper flashlight :)..

looking to be some good deals hopefully upon last years october list. and wiht this crappy season we had maybe people be wanting to get rid of there sleds....

just wondering if anyone has idea what duty usually is when you are coming back thru the border?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You won't be paying duty but do a search on here as to what you will need to do to bring a US registered sled across the border and then what you'll need to do to register the sled here in Ontario.

From what I've read though, I'm not sure that it'll be so easy as to go over there, buy a sled and then just declare it at Can. Customs and be on your way.

You need to stop on the US side and have very specific papers completed by the previous owner and they'll possibly need to have some of those notorized before you try to see US Customs.

You might contact the auctioneer and see what paperwork they're able to provide for you.

Good luck and let us know how you made out. That way we all learn as to the process of dealing with an auction bought sled compared to buying from a dealer or private seller.

Jeff

BTW, where in Ontario do you live?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Nothing to do with them personally, just a few years experience in dealing with them. Normally the paperwork received from them is a bill of sale from a licensed Michigan dealer - the same as you would recieve if buying through any authorized sled dealer here in MI.

There will be no opportunity to speak with the previous owner, unless you just happen to run into him, which doesn't happen often.

Hope that helps. -Al

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think your best bet might be to buy a new sled from the auction, many times the dealers will get rid of new non current sleds at whitestar with no reserve, just to move their inventory. Another place in michigan with great deals is leaders marine, they are many times, over a thousand dollars less in price than anyone else I can find. good luck.
www.leadersmarine.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts