Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many of you ride with your other ? My soon to be wife likes snowmobiling but how do take her with with rest of the boys?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Who cares what the "boys" think. If you want to have fun sledding together then do it. They probably would want their gilrls to come along too but there are alot of girls out there who just don't enjoy the sport or don't give it a chance and try it. Might mess there hair up, too cold, whatever, they can stay at home, but if your wife to be likes to ride then go for it. Then there are the boys who are too macho to think that girls can ride well enough to keep up and on and on on on. Go ahead and have some fun!

·
Registered
168 Posts
My fiance, went riding for the first time last year and loved it, although she was not able to keep up w/ "the boys" she still had alot of fun and all of my buddies and I took turns keeping an eye on her (or hanging back)
Now that I moved from MN to SD I have no "buddies" to ride w/ and my soon to be wife is the only one around. So I say if she wants to go COOL if not COOL!!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Well I'm hoping to get my girlfriend interested. We went out and played in the field last year but with the lack of snow didn't get to take her on a ride. So any suggestions other then the basics don't leave her behind, warm clothes, good helmet, and good sled to make it a enjoyable experience for her.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey ZR500 here is one for ya, we all know how women LOVE talking, SO, I think that most of them (not all) are not that interested in snowmobiling because they get bored and have nobody to talk to...SOOOOOOOO get a set of those communicators that attach onto the helmets. BOOM------- problem solved, and when you get sick of listening to her just turn down the volume, oops!! :D

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
my wife rides,she rides with the boys as well.now she does not try and keep up I do stop at trail crossings and wait on her.she does not like to ride all day like I doo,usually she is ready to quit mid day,so it is best if she has someplace to spend the rest of the day.even better if she has company to talk with while staying back,thats when its nice to have another buddys wife or girlfriend to chat or drink with. :p

·
Registered
269 Posts
We have 7 guys in our group ( TeamDuctTape ) and 5 of us are married, We have a cabin in NY and the girls all like to go so we have "girl trips" and we have " guy trips", We've all talked about it alot and are planning two trips to MI next year, for girls and guys.
We all think its good to get away from the ladies once in a while, on are guys trips its no wives. But thats normaly only on our trip to MI...All have kids now and some of them are starting to ride, so we like to bring them up to NY and let them play and then when the wives and kids all go to sleep, we hit the trails all nite.. SWRules

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Bone Daddy you have two choices, buy a two-up or get her one, its more fun if she has her own sled. If she is inexperienced start her off with a smaller sled, say around 500cc let her learn on her own pace and be patient. My wife hates winter and wouldn't go with me untill I let her drive a buddies older sled, then we bought her a 440 everest then traded up to a 550 ext she loves it and I can go whenever I want! P.S. IT'S ADDICTIVE READ THE LABEL :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
I agree.It makes life easier if your wife/girlfriend likes the sport too.She wasn't interested at first ,but now she loves it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would think you'd be able to do a lot more riding if you brought her along sometimes; less friction about it. She'll go through a learning curve, but will likely be able to keep up with the guys in time.

I used to hate the cold (still do!) so I would suggest that you don't scrimp when buying her gear; as long as she's comfortable she'll be more like to want to keep doing it.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
The things I have found most important are

1) Dont take off on them they hate that
2) Buy proper warm clothing
3) get them their own sled
4) Dont yell at them when they make mistakes or are slower
5) Never spray them down with snow

My wifes Riding skills heave increased ten fold over the last few years. It just takes a bit of time. everyones skills are different.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i take my girl friend out on the Mach but find it hard at times. its had to turn when your sitting on the gas tank.
i was going to buy her one this year but i bought a quad instead... ooops.
She won't get out much this year anyway due to surgury in December but i better get her one by next year because she really likes the sled.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My wife hated snow and didn't think she would like to sled due to a bad experience on a pos sled 15 years ago. Two years ago she rode a new sled. I am soooo glad she did, because since then we have bought 4 new sleds!! First a couple 370's, so as to not spend too much dough if she didn't like it. By the end of the 2000-2001 season she was ready for something with a little for power.

If I want to ride hot and fast, me and my brother have midnight rides on the weekends. She doesn't care to ride that late, and doesn't complain because I'm not home because she's sleeping anyway! SWRules

·
Registered
678 Posts
I made the mistake of letting the wife drive the XLT SKS for her first sled, it was a bit much for her, had to dig her out of the side of the trail quite a few times. Now she has a new legend and loves it, it's about perfect size for her. I think she'll be ready for a 500 lc next time though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
my thoughts

me and my girlfriend take short trips during the week after work usually to a bar where there is all u can eat wings for $2.50 but sundays it's just me and my cousin nobody likes to go as far as us and they all want to stop at every bar restraunt gas station and every other tree!

right now i am squeezing her on the back of my formula z but trying to get her to drive once in awhile then when she wants a sled i'll buy a new one and give her mine :)

thats just my 2 cents but in canada i think thats worth 3 cents

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to ride with this old girlfriend (She's been sent out to pasture) and she was a maniac. Out highmarking most of the guys and stuff like that kinda made me a little spoiled.

The new girlfriend has went sledding one time so far and liked it!!!. She's not a maniac like the other one nor as athelically gifted but she listens to directions well and if I tell her she's ok then off she goes.

Anyways my point. Is I've always tried to show a lot of patience, patience, patience when breaking in a rookie to the snow and it seems to have paid off. Also try not to take them out on those chest deep powder day cuz they can be a bit demoralizing when you still learning. Wait til they've got a bit of experience, they get'em stuck up to thier arm pits of the fluffy....

Later,
MC-2STROKE

Where's my snow!!!!! ???

·
Registered
852 Posts
I gotta agree with permafrost, I only ride with the wife (it seems like) and what he says is true, get a sled , get input and work into a sled that suits what she wants in a sled, its easy to trade sleds around and not lose if there nice. Right now , and for the last 4 years my wife rides a 440 zx with the high tech front suspension, recalibrated shocks, 100 horsepower and 460lbs dry,she has so much fun she forgets to remember to look for the old dude.. sad but true.. the other thing is if you ride with hard core lunitics... which usually we dont, stay within sight distance of the wife, but, ifs she`s got something she really likes, she`ll be the one in the middle, again suit the sled to what she wants, in my case super light and highly manuverable.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts