Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ask what you guys have been using. I have been tweeking for 2 years on mine, want to know what everyone else is using for clutching, etc.. with success.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have been working on mine as well, and it is better than stock, I believe, but still didn't get the testing time I wanted.  Lakes never froze up again when we finally got snow, so my testing was done on weekend trips up north, when everyone wanted to ride vs. wrench.  Anyway, I made the mistake at the beginning of the season and changed too many things at once, and when I was slower than stock 800's, I didn't know where the problem was.  I am now running thundershift arms, and Cudney springs and helix, but am wanting a bit more time with different helix and maybe back to the stock white secondary.  Also, GLH if you read this, I am trying to figure out if you were referring to flipping the arms over so the bolts are on top.  I also have gone back and forth with the 26 and 27 gear, and am currently with the 27.  I had boyesen reeds, which I took out and am back to stock.  Backed out my rave caps flush with the cover, 490 main jets, and MBRP trail silencer, which has already cracked at the weld on the bottom of the can.  If I uncouple my blocks, and rotate the stoppers up, I am getting 2-3 sled lengths over a stock 800, and 02 XC 700's that were giving me trouble before, but I still need to have the holeshot to hold them off.

Dave, I know you have been using heelclickers, and they take even more time to dial in.  What is the outcome?  Worth it?  Ever mess with titanium or magnesium arms and loading up the pin weight?  I have heard good things about these settups, along with a 160/290 primary spring.  I think I saw you were selling your dynoport single for a twin.  Are you porting as well?  RK Tek head?

·
Registered
100 Posts
had pretty good success with my twin 800 but i wish i had a chance to try the magnesium arms with it.Got a question for you guys,how often or when should the shocks be recharged on the X-package? I have 3000 miles on mine now and they have never been touched.Also i have tried 25,26,27t gears and have come to the conclusion that the 25 works best for me.it ran 110mph on gps so i was satisfied with that.Which gear combo works better for you other guys.Ithink i will sell my mbrp silencer as the noise is starting to bug me.Anyone interested just leave me a message.I am asking $175 can.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I found the white spring that came with the sled far better than the beige.The beige works great in my buds but mine seemed to reject it.I ended up with a stock primary on #3,50 helix/white spring set between 19-23lbs(depending on what i'm riding) and a 24 tooth top gear.It seemed to shift out better with the 24.Still has stock jets as we never seemed to get winter and i didn't want to spend all my time wrenching.I did one radar run with it on a plus 7 degree day and it was one mph slower than two of my buds xcrs.I bought a egt gauge for it so i'll pop that on over the summer than start playing with the jetting in the fall.
Thats if i don't trade it

·
Registered
292 Posts
The 800 Doo Menice:

I have had the opportunity or displeasure to try almost everything under the sun on these engines.  I have a few items left and have beed sponsered the equipment to try it.  However in the clutching department:  Heelclickers are still my favorite, Best all around setup and least finicky to changing conditions.  TRA THUNDERSHIFT ARMS, not a bad device but I can get the same results with the stock parts.  Gearing, 25/44 was the favorite.  Engine package: I am putting one together this summer and should be a real killer.  150 was easy to get at stock rpm and pump gas, I want to push the edge a little. I expect 165 ish when I am done for trail riding on pump gas and all I can tell you is MACDIZZY is envolved.  Best add on for the 01' goes to RK TEK, hands down the most fun and best bang for the buck.  The 02's are a different story...  I can tell everyone that these engines will fly with the right combination.  Does it cost money??  Yes it does, my renegade has about $1200 worth of goodies and has NEVER been beaten by ANY other 800 twin or tripple in the snow for 1200ft.  Some of the sleds I have raced are: 1025 crank shop, 800 improved, SRX with pipes, thundercats with any brand pipes, our own ZR 800 with pipes and the works, my own stock engine 800X, my own Mach Z, Black Majic 925, Crank shop 900 etc.  These sleds will run!!  The down side is the money.  I also wanted to mention that the renegade is for sale and is a pump gas sled.

GLH

·
Registered
171 Posts
GLH racing you have given some good advice in these forums, I agree that these 02's really fly although I am running a 800 HMX and with 22/46 gearing am limited to about 100 mph, thats not bad for a 151' x 2' paddle track, I just turned my best time in 300' today 72 MPH, I have a question though why do I need to  jet down with boysen reeds, I had to go from 440 mains to 420 mains I always thought more hp needed more gas, if you have a theory Im interested.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have had good, but not great results with the HCs. I am losing belt grad down low, as the grooving in my primary is proof. I have to run a little more tension to get it to work. White worked allright for me. I just never found a great setup. Always messing with it. Seemed like the RPMs wouldn't run the same 2 days in a row.

I like the Dport pipe, have a MBRP silencer, but mine also broke around the bottom.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Bonzi, if the vacuum signal is increased to the carb metering circuits  it will draw more fuel, just as if you increase the motor size with the same size carb sometimes you will have to lean it out, sorta weird huh.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
How many of you are running 02's? I have an X package with DPM. It runs real strong and I have had none of the problems that we have been hearing about all winter. I'm curious what others with the RER secondary have done. So far I have installed Boyesens, put on a 1 1/4" paddle, a different secondary spring to exert more side pressure on the belt (which I feel helped a lot), and i installed a set of aftermarket arms. I haven't had much time to 'test and tune' due to the lack of weather, so ... I'm pretty much at a loss as to what kind of improvement I've achieved. I doo know for sure that I am having a ton of trouble getting the SC10-3 to hook up!! Any thoughts on that?!?

GLH...can you give any insight as to what you've done with the 02's? How is the RKTek head working on them?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GLHRACING @ Mar. 24, 2002, 5:21pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The 800 Doo Menice:

The 02's are a different story...  I can tell everyone that these engines will fly with the right combination.  Does it cost money??  Yes it does, my renegade has about $1200 worth of goodies and has NEVER been beaten by ANY other 800 twin or tripple in the snow for 1200ft.  Some of the sleds I have raced are: 1025 crank shop, 800 improved, SRX with pipes, thundercats with any brand pipes, our own ZR 800 with pipes and the works, my own stock engine 800X, my own Mach Z, Black Majic 925, Crank shop 900 etc.  These sleds will run!!  The down side is the money.  I also wanted to mention that the renegade is for sale and is a pump gas sled.

GLH[/b][/quote]
GLH, I too would like to know what can be done to the '02 800's. Mine is set up close to how Idooski has set his up. These motors produce tremendous amounts of torque on the bottom end but lacks at the top end. I have heared as much as 126mph out of these sleds on radar but, in stock form noway is that going to happen.........what is your secret??!!!

Brian

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just got finished looking at my reed cages and guess what?the rubber is peeling away from the cage just like many fellow sledders claimed in there forums.I phoned my dealer today also about the recoil and he said it only affects the 2002.What a bunch of bs.I told him if i get out on the trails and that recoil leaves me stranded i'll strangle him with that f-in thing.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have not experienced any problems with my recoil.  Should I be checking my reeds for troubles? Sled has 1900 miles on it.  Has their been any recalls on the 2002 800x models dealing with the recoil or reeds?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (2tone800X @ Mar. 26, 2002, 3:08pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Has their been any recalls on the 2002 800x models dealing with the recoil or reeds?[/b][/quote]
Yes, on the recoil. You will get a new muffler shield and new parts in the recoil

·
Registered
292 Posts
In my last post some of you mis-read.  I was not trying to say that the 2002 is any better of an engine.  Infact I prefer the 2001 but the same mods can be done.  The internal dimensions must be changed ie "porting" as well as the exhaust.  

Bonzi,

Your speed is not to bad, we typically see about 79-82 in snow for 300 ft.  

If there are particular questions on this subject I would be glad to answer through e-mail.

GLH

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a 01 800 with HC, boysen reeds, RK Tek head,
exhaust restrictor.

It took me all season to get to the correct jetting
with the head. I ended up running 390's, 942 needle #2,
and 20 pilot.

I had trouble with top end in the beginning even with
the heelclickers, but believe it was belt slippage. I
bought a racepak avenger just to measure EGT's for jetting
and jack shaft/RPM ratio. I believe I had it figured out,
but never really had a chance to run it over a long
distance.

I never got to run against my baseline sled at the end
of the season as I had a MAG bearing go in my sled.
Looking at it, it seems that there was never any grease
in the bearings. I took it to my dealer and am waiting
to hear back from ski-doo.

·
Registered
93 Posts
heres my current set-up with the H-C on My '01 800 twin:
Stock gearing
Stock motor
Stock pipe
Stock silencer
All jetting is stock also
Stock primary spring
HEEL-4.2
TIP-5.6
MIDDLE-15.2
BASE-0

Running a 48-42 dalton helix
stock white sec. spring wrapped around 11-12 LBS
With my 1/2 track and 240 shovel stinger picks it will run around 119-120 on speedo. Gets to 110 fast, from 40-90 its a blur on the speedo. I will pull away from buddys '01 srx on topend. He could pull away from me when I was with stock clutching. Side by side with other buddys viper with hauck pipes and clutching until we let off. I seem to have a bit more low end then him.
Only thing is...When launching for a dead stop on bare ice is that the clutches seem too slip a bit at first. This is with MAX hookup. No spinning. Sounds like the motor is loaded hard and it doesn't overrev but just seems to lag for about 10-15 ft. Don't get me wrong, the sled goes good out of the hole but not perfect. Just a bit of a slip I think. Maybe the 26 isn't good for the clutches on the bottom end. Not sure what to correct on that.
josh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts