Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I think the 500 is a good contender with a 600 but when push comes to shove the 600 will pull ahead after about 75MPH. We raced a 98 ZL 500 that was clutched and jetted against a stock 99 ZL 600EFI. They were nose to nose until about 75 when the 600 just pulled ahead about 4 lengths. my money is on the 600. Until you've ridden both and seen them in action you wont quite understand

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its called power to rate ratio.  I 'd have to go with the 99 500 because i know wat the 500 engine does.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I can't see the 600 winning that one..The Cat 500's are over acheivers

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The 600 "should" win, but with all of these posts that ask whos sled will be this or that, it all comes down to who has the better set up, driver, distance, and conditions.  Way to may variables to pick a favorite or for me to put money down on any one sled.  I do know for a fact thought that both sleds have a ton of potential.  A buddy of mine has a '99 600 twin running almost the same speed as my 600 trip/trip in 1000', but he won't fess up to what all he has done to it.
 All he has to say is that the rule book just say that it has to "appear stock", which it does....haha
Anyway, getting back to the topic, the 600 should have the upper hand in a long run.

·
Registered
403 Posts
98 500 with the twin pipes and HIGH tention reeds.

That sled should rock. The high tention reeds are for top end power and the low tention reeds are not even recommended for the smaller displacement twins like the 440-600's. I talked with carbon tech about that and they only recommend the high tention ones for those sleds.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Having raced all the new and old 600 models with a 500 cat, you better have one heck of a 600 to beat it.The 98 zl we have has a D.D. super single,power breather,lite weight track,v-force reeds,whal brothers disc and gear. This sled is cluthed to engaged at 5000 with  dylton helix ( there are no others as far as quailty goes).This set has worked very well for many winters.The most recent  win was beating up on a dealers 700 viper with over 2 grand spent on it .The little 500 caught and pulled down the yamaha in a 800 ft run and pulled the 700 the rest of way out the back door.The other 500 is a 99 zl efi with a 711 D.D. power ,this baby will rock your 800 of all makes in hiding. It is avery good working set up.This something so trouble free cat should of made it years ago.                                                                              P.S. MAY THE BEST CAT WIN...............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts