Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

What sled is faster in a straight drag race to about 90mph?  A 2000 MXZ-X 440 l/c or a 1998 Formula Z 670?

Sorry for asking this, but I'm thinking of trading my Mach for an MXZ-X, and want to know if I would be able to beat my buddies Formula with it.  Normally this wouldn't matter, but he is a really cocky guy.

Thanks.

-Josh

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I wouldn't put money on your sled....but I'm not familiar with exactly how fast those 440's are.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me either, that's why I was just checking.

A couple guys I know raced a ZR600 against a ZR440 sno pro and they said that the Sno Pro just walked away from it (in the field they raced in you can hit about 90mph).  

Thanks for the quick response.

-Josh

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd put my money on the 670. My brother has a 01 440zx that was Chris Humpreys back up 440 last year. My 97 MXZ 670 would stay even to about 330ft until I pulled away. I thought that his 1.35 track and 96 studs in the centre were a fair comparison to my .92 with 144 in the centre.
The 440 is pretty quick out of the whole, but has no chance anyway near 90 mph.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My bud had a 99 440 and did that thing haul in the 1/4 mile.I had a 98 mxz 670 then,my other bud with his 99 670ho and another with a fz 670 and that dman 440 would just smoke us for the first bit.I think the 99 440 was different than the others for some reason.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a 2000 440x and have raced 2002 mxz 7 holeshot I would  pull his machine a bit and at 500' we would be even, at 1000' he would be about 3-4 sleds ahead.  At 500' we at 74mph. That 440 is a exellent machine, if you like to ride hard in the trails that would be my 1st choice. The only draw back  is no oil injection. It has all the best parts on it, they don't call it a factory racer for nothing!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
the 440 to 80-85 then the 670 is going to show its longer legs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I distinctly remeber reading an article in a sled magazine saying that a zx chassis 440 will walk from a zx chassis 700 up to 80 mph.....no kidding.......Only one way to find out.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Stock sled, with the zx running the "stock" high comp domes in the heads its anybodys race. I race a zx and have raced a 670, prepped the 670 was running 6.0`s in 500' and the 440 runs 6.35`s but unprepped the 440 gains a ton on a unprepped 670. The 440 in my opinion is a more interesting sled  to own, and realistically if your near a 670they shouldnt be talkin too much trash.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jim bob what will your 670 do in (mph) 500'.  Because 74mph is pretty darn good. Those machines are ported and clutched right from the multi million dollar corporation known as "bombardier" this is the real "R&D" sled. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My 440 is running 78 to 79mph in 500' thats the good news, the bad news is as its set up there isnt much more unless theres a cliff in sight.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow thats exellent! you must have dedicated it to 500'? Those are awesome little machines with lots of bite! what year is yours?

·
Registered
372 Posts
From my own experence.  I have a 99 mxz 600 and my bud has a 99 mxzx440.  He walks all over me all the way to 90mph,  then I take over.  He is also clutched and I'm not though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Guys.  

If those darn things were oil injected I would get one in a heartbeat.  It's too bad cause that kind of pushes me away.  I know that it's safer cause you don't have to worry about oil injection failure, and you can probably tweak the most performance out of it cause you can mix at your own ratios, but it would kind of be a pain to have to mix the oil at every gas stop.  

Hmmmmm......decisions, decisions......

Thanks again.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Those things are awesome for trail riding!  The oil injected issue is a problem though.  I wouldn't want to mix gas everytime I went to fill up.  You'd be sitting there mixing it while your friend sitt there and whine 'cuz you're taking up their precious riding time!  Just my 2 cents!  Later.

Midnight Screamer

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have a 98 Formula Z 670 and I rode my friends 2001 440 MXZX last weekend. Awesome sled. It just feels so light and you can turn any bump into a jump. We didnt race at all but I felt like my 670 had a little more power. So did my friend but "feel" doesnt really mean anything. I couldnt ride that sled on the trails all day though, it rode soo hard. He said it was set up just the same as he races it so thats probably why. I did race my friends 2001 MXZ 600 and jumped out about 5 sleds on the holeshot and he never gained any. We thought it probably had to do with my 1.25 predator track vs. his stock .88 track with 144 studs in those snow conditions (unpacked field with soft snow). Let me know who wins when you race!
                               Ryan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts