Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many states are gonig to ban pipes? i heard theres going to be a few. i think it's a crock! look at the harleys, their loud as hell.and they don't get bothered

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I agree, there are more motorcyles with loud pipes than snowmobiles.  What's the big deal as long as they are not too loud,  the quieter the better.  Everyone knows a Harley is not quiet with pipes.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I doo have to agree with you.  It's only a matter of time before they put the brakes on snowmobile pipes. I also agree with your comment about the Harley's.  I HATE summer because  no snow (of course) and loud harley's at 2:30 am l eaving the bar.  I have 2 boys that think it is great to run to the window and watch the Harley idiot's burn their back tires off, after they let them warm up for a 1/2 hour. Oh ya have to love it to when they leave town ( At anytime of the day 30mph speed limit ) and grab 3-4 gears and redlineing them in every grear.  I think if they are going to ban pipes, they should not ONLY target snowmobiles.  There is loud cars, trucks, boats, jet ski's, bikes, street and dirt, along with alot of other things. Ban them ALL or leave us alone!

Loud and proud!

·
Registered
625 Posts
The issue with this is that snowmobiles are on trails in most places where Landowners grant the PRIVILEGE of allowing us to ride their land. Harleys also have the Privilege of riding on the road, but where do you see gates to block access to most roads, you dont. Lakes need no preparation for a jet-ski to go on it. Most of us ride groomed trails. My point is we are over a barrel, no permission= no maintained trails= no riding for us. I agree about Musclecars, Harleys and such being loud as well, but you cant go out and put a gate on your street to keep them out, but with a sled trail you can! Thats the difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In Wisconsin, if you get caught with any silencer that is not stock, you will get a ticket.  It doesn't even matter if the pipes you are running are actually quieter than stock, you will still get a ticket.  How much sense does that make?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
There is a guy that lives down the street from me that has a very loud newer Honda road bike.All summer long that loud,abnoxous POS goes by my house.One day I counted,26 times I had to listen to that thing go by in one day.And of course he has to wind the pi$$ out of it.Just think of the people that give you permission to ride on their property.They don't want to hear those loud sled pipes.More trails have to be rerouted due to loud pipes.People just don't like the noise.I don't like the sound of a sled when it sounds like a chainsaw.Keep em stock,keep the trails.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have to agree with slarson, but really what is too loud?  I know they have a meter to measure noise level, but a stock MXZ 700 after 400 miles is not very quiet.  Who makes the decision?  That is the question, and the answer is:   The people that open up their property for us to ride on.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I dont know what is really too loud??? But I can say this, all the manufacturers know noise keeps becoming a greater issue because in general their sleds keep getting quieter year after year  

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Slarson said it ALL! Everyone read his first post again and again until you get it.
It"s not fair but that"s the way it is in the snowmobile world!
If you want to buck the system, then it will only be a short time before everyone"s $8000.00 + sled{s} is a lawn ornament

·
Registered
555 Posts
The level of noise is not the issue. It seems to have become the American way to complain, that is the issue.
Quieter does prevent the complaining from happening as often.
BUT the ones who complain about the "loud" snowmobiles will always think they are loud .
As for motorcycles, we are going through the same issues of people complaining about the noise.
If you think they can't ban loud vehicles from the roads, you should check your local ordinances. They will impound loud Bikes in some areas.
It is WAY easier to put a law on the books than to take them off. (do not drive a red car in Minnesota)(and if you are in a covered wagon in ND you can shoot indians) as examples of old laws.
"Make a law!" they yell at the representatives and congresspersons. Then, later, when they get affected by some other law (that was created by some other complainer) they complain about the law.
Every law that is made to protect someone's freedom takes freedom from somewhere else, when done properly it works well.
The law in Minnesota reads "For any snowmobile built after April 1 1975, Max 78 decibles at 50 feet on the A scale"

·
Registered
108 Posts
I dont mind loud pipes on anything,I have them on my car,truck,cycle,and sometimes Ill throw a stinger on the sled.I cant really agree with putting Harleys on the same level as a sled though,If you think about it,you dont have Harleys running in the backwoods on private land right next to someones home,at least not that I know of
Everything is loud in the city,I would think that most of the complainers would be the ones who are leaving the city in search of some "piece&quiet"Me personally,I head upnorth to have a good time.(which is about the only place I can get away with changing my pipe for a couple of lake runs)Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts

PERSONALLY, I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THE LAW ENFORCEMENT PEOPLE HERE IN WISCONSIN HAVE NO BALLS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE HARLEY  EXHAUST NOISE.
JUST BECAUSE HARLEYS ARE HEADQUARTERED IN WISCONSIN, THEY ARE UNTOUCHABLE IT APPEARS....  AS FAR AS HARLEYS NOT BEING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY AS IT IS IN SNOWMOBILING,  THEY ARE ON ROADS MY TAX DOLLARS SUPPORT.  I LIVE ACROSS THE ROAD FROM A SNOWMOBILE TRAIL JUST OUTSIDE OF TOWN,  ABOUT A MILE, AND HARLEYS GO BY IN NUMBERS DURING WARM MONTHS. THE ISSUE I'VE GOT IS I HAVE TO TURN THE VOLUME UP ON MY TV AT NIGHT EVEN WHEN I HAVE THE AIR CONDITIONER ON & THE WINDOWS CLOSED. DOESN'T THIS COMPARE WITH SNOWMOBILE EXHAUST NOISE COMPLAINTS? WHERE DO MY RIGHTS COME IN ? WHY DO LANDOWNERS PROVIDING SNOWMOBILE TRAIL ACCESS HAVE BETTER LAW ENFORCEMENT ( DEPT. OF NATURAL RESOURCES ) THAN PUBLIC ROADS?  ON MILTON AVENUE IN JANESVILLE, WI. THE COPS JUST IGNORE THESE TWO WHEELED JOHN DEERE TRACTORS NAMED HARLEYS WHEN THEY HAVE LOUD EXHAUST...  WHERE IS THE PARITY IN ENFORCEMENT?  NONE IN WISCONSIN !! YEAH, WE NEED TO KEEP OUR TRAILS.... THE LANDOWNERS DESERVE THEIR RIGHTS AS WELL....  WHERE IS IT WHEN IT COMES TO HARLEYS???

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree with Zertma8,  just cause we live in WI it is alright for Harleys too be loud?!  What the hell.  Our sleds are nothing compared to loud pipes on Harleys,  I also pay for the roads,  Our WI enforcement is bullshit!

·
Registered
108 Posts
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WISCONSIN...its the fact of piece and quite for people that are not into the same thing as us and the backwoods.Like I said I have no problem with loudness,but everyone else has their right to B#@*#just as you do as a taxpayer!(unlike motorcycles,snowmobile access across private land is a gift not a right&#33

·
Registered
137 Posts
Fortunately Since this thread was started waaaaaay back in 2002. the laws in Wi have changed. When they decided to institute the night time speed limit they added into that particular senate bill, a revised sound decibel limit of somewhere around 88 db. Here's a good one thou... Back around 03/04 a well known northwoods sno club did a test on their diesel groomer on a trail at full speed. It registered a higher db reading than what was then allowed at the time (+78db)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Nova Scotia has put a decible law into affect now as well, and the sled can not be modified to be louder than when it left the manufacturing plant .

now if they got the government gets there head out of there ##### and ban those cherry bomb mufflers for cars i would be happy. have to love it at 2 in the morning all you hear is those things

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The Quebec Transportation Code states "No Modification to the Exhaust System" and goes on to say you are not permitted to defeat any safety systems or warning devices. I had a discussion with a lawmaker concerning the giant "Warning" labels festooned all over the cab and clutch guards and he said those are what are implied. Again, silly reasoning not designed to work with the groups but to mandate what they can & cannot do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had some of my landowners complain about the sleds with pipes going past their house at midnight waking them up. They weren't too happy. In the winter time we have the advantage of closed windows to muffle the noise to the inhabitants of the homes we pass. The aftermarket pipes quite often add a certain amount of vibration to their sound to irritate the homeowner as they pass.

This problem is going to make trail access difficult as our local small communities seem to spreading quite rapidly here. The subdivisions are now along side our trails. Even though we were there first who do you think the local councils are going to listen to? I have been told it is going to be a battle getting better community access trails by some members of the township government as they don't want to deal with the complaints that will be generated by the adjacent homeowners.

Keeping sleds quiet is in our own best interest.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts