Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was up at Grand Lake, Colorado on Saturday and they had 8 inches in town and and close to 24" above 10,000 ft. A nice powder day was made even better by the fact that our party of three sleds only saw two other guys riding...

w00t

Wondering if everybody is still just road riding, or is there enough pow to get stuck yet? :bash:
[/b]

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a good month yet before I get to think about riding...... :confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
We got 2 feet in town and 5 feet at 2500 but still waiting for more. Too many rocks and other hidden surprises out there. Need a good dump, then light rain, then a freeze then another dump then I'll feel safer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well got another 16" yesterday. Had to motor around the yard with the kids. Then it started to rain, and rain, and rain, and rain. Now there is a foot of water on the road. Should make for a good base once it freezes up. The only part left aftewards is the big dump. Suppose to happen monday or tuesday they say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
YUP been riding in kamloops had a good 3-4 feet on the top of todd mountain. Also valemount, chappel creek stopped there on my way back to alberta tons of snow in the alpine. Good base for climbing

·
Registered
239 Posts
You guys suck! :cussing: We got 6-10" last week and it went away then 1-3"yesterday. Some big storm in the works for eastern NY and New England. Then a masive cold front moves Canadian air across the G-lakes, that spells Lake Effect......... The lakes are the warmest they have been in quite some time which translates to mucho-lake effect. Fingers are crossed. With all that said, its a cardinal sin to ride durning deer season arround here. :bash: It goes to 15 Dec. Enjoy the pow dudes. I evy you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well the last time I posted was the 19th. Its been snowing everyday since then. Of course it had a few periods of rain inbetween but that made for a good base. An of course its snowing today again. The snow piles for the snow dumps are already 20 feet tall. I guess winter is here to stay. Will be going up on the pass this weekend to try to make a trail back to the glaciers. Still need more snow, alot, to make the glacier trips safer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Trying to find the Weather site for Thompson Pass. Talked to a backcountry skiier. Stated a few days ago he was up there and there was 5 feet of snow. Went up 2 days after and a new 5 feet of snow. Of course it has been snowing non stop for the last two days so I might be off on snow fall. Just found the weather site, 50-60" in the past 2 days. Normal for us. It starts snowing and before you know it you are out on the roof shoveling the snow UP onto the yard.

A excert from UAF:Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks

Dennis reported that the greatest snowfall recorded in a day was 76 inches at Silver Lake, Colorado, in 1921. During the winter season of 1998-1999, Mt. Baker in Washington made headlines when 1,140 inches (95 feet) of snow fell. Dennis wrote that the greatest depth of snow ever recorded on the ground at one time in North America was more than 37 feet in Tamarack, California. According to Rick Thoman, lead forecaster at the National Weather Service office in Fairbanks, that record has been buried. Thoman said the snow depth measured for one season on the Kenai Peninsula's Wolverine Glacier was 472 inches-that's more than 39 feet.

Alaska would probably chalk up more snowfall records if snow gauges existed on Malaspina Glacier or thousands of other remote spots, Thoman said. In the 1950s and 1960s, a weather station in Thompson Pass north of Valdez recorded these gaudy numbers: sixty-two inches of snow in one 1955 day; twenty-nine feet of snow in the month of February, 1964; and a total snowfall of more than 80 feet in the winter of 1952-1953.[/
i]

I've seen that 62" blown away about 7 years ago but as mentioned no offical measuring devices are in place.

The rough part is keeping the driveway clear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I saw you guy/girls got a good winter storm down there so some of you must of gotten some new snow. Probley out riding. Still snowing here on an off. 3-4 more feet and I will be able to step off of the snow and onto my 1st story roof.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts