Snowmobile World banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
1st off, this engine will most likely be bullet proof.  But yes, if it did go it would be expensive to repair, which is why I am strongly considering the addional 4 year warranty for a total of 5 years for $500.00.  Of all the street bikes I have owned, I have never had an engine related problem which is why I'm so excited about the RX-1!

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
skidood,
 you're right big loot to fix but not even within this time zone will the likelihood of a problem arise. my 4 stroke cycles never gave a seconds motor trouble, i have owned two 2 stroker cycles and you already know because you're not stupid how much engine trouble aroused me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think I will give a few months on the trail.  And if my M-10 slides in & the front is easy to beef up.  I'll be getting one too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in the North ( far north ) where we've seen -30 to -54 windchills, and I see a lot of RX-1's in this area now. As far as cold weather starting goes,not a problem!
Just a simple "turn of the key" and away you go on Yamaha 4-stroke technology.
I've seen them with 15000kms on them with a "flawless" performance. You are doing good if you get 15000kms on a 2-stroke with no problems though!

Now as far as the sound of the RX-1's,have you ever stood near the R-1 bike when the driver "cracked" the throttle??
If so, you know what I'm talking about when I simply say "AWESOME"!!!!!!!
Imagine it,a street bike engine in an awesome looking sled,with 4-stroke dependibility and fuel economy,what more could you ask for??
Think about it!!
1997 vmax

·
Registered
268 Posts
4 strokes still have carbs and jets, if i remember correctly, they come jetted lean to keep emissions down, I'm sure you'll have to re-jet it for easier starting and better (smoother)carburetion.  I still for some unforsaken reason think that this new 4 stroke if widely successful, has just hastened the death of my beloved two strokes.....
I have been highly involved with 4 stroke quads for the last 14 years and drive the winter groomed quad trails we have here. As for rejetting, not required and they work/start just as well in -30 to +30. Did you ever rejet a carb on a car for winter use? I would like to add, the quads are shipped from mostly the States and are sent to Florida or Alaska with the same jetting. The only exception to the rule is high altitude locations where the dealer will re-jet and re-clutch above 6000ft.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by Machzzzz1@Jan 18 2002, 10:31 AM
Yeah but unlike other snowmobiles this new melody is aimed right at the rider behind you.  I think this sled is going to be louder then a 2 stroke.  
Louder than a 2 stroke? Apparently you haven't heard one huh? It's not even close to as loud at a 2 stroke from the factory. Nevermind one that has aftermarket pipes and a can on it.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
My dealer just sent out a sale flyer-he has an 04 RX-1 LE for sale-part of the winter clearance with his spring stock coming in-$6999 USD with 0 miles on it. If you want more info, PM me. He's got a bunch of other sleds for sale too-mostly Poos.

When I bought the RX-1, I bought the Y.E.S. additional 4 years-just for peace of mind-haven't used any warranty service yet.

One thing, if I had it to do again, I would spring for the extra bucks for reverse. It's heavy when it's sitting still. Not on the trail.

None of the guys I ride with has ever complained about the exhaust pipes on my sled-everyone thinks it's cool and sounds great. I'm the only one complaining-if I'm not leading, I'm smelling that stink. Never noticed it when I rode 2 strokes......

btw, Blue is the only color to go with, though HonksRx1 has a red one that's real pretty...........

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Originally posted by spikegary@Feb 10 2004, 12:30 PM
btw, Blue is the only color to go with, though HonksRx1 has a red one that's real pretty...........
You finally wrote something I disagree with. Black is the way to go Baby!

·
10,054 Posts
definetly not running on the rx1,,,,,I love the sound and the looks, but I do have a question,,,,, it was stated in this post (2 years ago), that you could go 180 mile without starting to look for gas. how far do you actually drive now before starting to look for gas?????

·
Registered
791 Posts
It depends how you drive, just like any other gas powered vehicle.
But, I wouldn't count on going 180 miles even under the best trail conditions that we see in Saskatchewan (Warrior). I count on about 16-18 mpg.
As an example my group did 350 hard kms on Sat. I got 2 mpg. better than REV6 sdi, 3 mpg better than 04 Viper (and we won't talk about the other 4).
Just my obsevation, but whenever I see guys posting 20+mpg on any sled (RX, sdi, T660) it tells me that their trails are like highways and they don't drive like I do.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I have never gone more than 100. That's because I don't ride by myself and have to stop for my buddies :D

I averaged 16.2 for the first 350 miles on my Warrior on my most recent trip. Keep in mind that I was running K&N's with 165 mains instead of the stock airbox with 135 mains.

·
Registered
93 Posts
konkinj,

I agree with you regarding the trail conditions in most of Sask, but I do ride with a fellow that has a T660 short track and he does average 20mpg, best was about 22mpg. The type of riding that we do is not easy with most open areas being 3/4-WOT. When we ride together my T-Cat is at the 12~14 mpg, with 800efi's in the 14~15, and the lone 600 SDI is near the 20 mark. They do not go 180tank either but they do fill up when we do, and take less $$ to fill than we do.

I am not trying to start anything. Just letting you know what I have experienced first hand. Has me rethinking the purchase of a F7, and the purchase of a SDI or T660.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Northern Rider, I shouldn't have included the T660 in my post. I have seen them on the trails here, but I haven't riden with one (oooops!). I have no doubt that they are most likely the most fuel efficient sled made, period.
My point was directed at guys who have posted 20+ (and somethimes 25) miles per US GALLON. I just can't imagine the conditions under which ANY sled can do this.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Originally posted by spikegary@Feb 11 2004, 12:45 PM
Ok Mighty-

And the Black one's are beautiful too!!!!

We back on track now?
if you're talking real black like for 04 we are :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2004 Warrior and i'll just say this call your insurance broker now and make sure your sitting down. oh and fuel economy-- with over 800 miles i am getting 12 mpg.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts