Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would a person want to cleat instead of stud?

is there an advantage to studding or cleating?

dont see many people talking about cleats, just wondering since thats an option im thinking about.

thanks

Zagg

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I think cleats may be a little better in loose snow than studs, but cleats do nothing for you on ice as far as acceleration and helping you stop faster on the icy trails.  IMO studs are the best way to go for all around performance, traction, and safety.

·
Registered
530 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (phazerhater @ Feb. 27, 2002, 7:07pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think cleats may be a little better in loose snow than studs, but cleats do nothing for you on ice as far as acceleration and helping you stop faster on the icy trails.  IMO studs are the best way to go for all around performance, traction, and safety.[/b][/quote]
I second that.  I had 182 Studs on my 97 MXZ 670, and I loved every minute of it.  Now I have a 600 with no studs, and I'm really missing them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have never ran a sled with studs, but have seen many reports and television programs testing studded against non studded machines. Wow. The stopping ability alone is reason enough to stud a machine. They cut the stopping distance almost in half. The safety features alone make it worth it.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
zagg,
 the reason you are asking does that have anything to do with your location ?
 i don't use picks or cleats and i know riders say the stopping distance is reason enough to use them but i guess i just start to slow down sooner. i think the reason no more cleats get used is for the weight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
zagg studding your piece of doo still wont be enough to overcome me. get used to looking at the yamaha writing on the back of my sled.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sorry Paul, but sometimes we get into a situation where that extra stopping power would really help. Sometimes the unexpected happens and you don't have time to start slowing earlier and that extra braking could help. I'm not saying I ride like a raped ape every moment on my sled(heck, I crashed into barbed wire going slow, unexpected obstacle) but there are times when the exta stopping power could help a guy out of a sticky situation.. I don't ride with studs either but have ridden studded machines and the braking is awesome. Just my two cents

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Another reason why they don't run cleats anymore is,do you remember them brakeing while you were riding they tend to tear things up pretty good underneith a sled.Also weight and traction on ice covered snow was terrible.Just Put in some megga bites carbide studs in and you will be better off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a "74 panther 340 that was cleated, and to top it off it had 96 claws... no spikes.... it would pull anything!! fish shacks? bring em on...move over Doo...hated crossing a paved highway though...

I don't like them  because it's a little more difficult to spin your ass around in a sharp curve...but as far as stopping and traction? woe baby...what a rooster tail!!!

went to a hillclimb, watched the El tigre's win the climbs, but this panther, knowing I wouldn't be winning it with speed, i practically crawled up the hill... got quite a cheer... I actually miss that machine...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts