Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, Please help! We are building a cabin in Washington state and it is in a snowmobiling community. We need two sleds. My husband likes Arctic Cat and I just dont really know enough to have an opinion. I have rode Polaris, Yamaha and Arctic Cat and for the life of me dont remember the fine points of them specifically. I think we both want to start out with 600cc and are thinking the MC line is a good one. Please tell me what you think and why we should go with Arctic Cat and if 600 sounds good to start for size and whether I should go for a MC or ZL model??? HELP!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
we have ac , we have riden on mt. saint helens with them, if you are sticking to the trails, the zl is very nice, plush, if you want to go off roading go mt cat. go with the efi(only avalible on ac) you will not have to adjust the carbs for temp or elevation. good luck.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
i would say that 600cc might be a little big for a starter sled... the mountain cats are good machine but you might want to considr a 500 or 570fan. te long track will be a nice ride and probably better for the washington terrain

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The biggest thing is to find a good dealer. It doesn't matter what brand without a good dealer you won't be satisfied. Ask around, vistit dealerships, and even join a club and see who the good dealers are in you area.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i agree a dealer is very important,the big 4 all have nice sleds but with a crappy dealer it can ruin a potentially good sled,the zl is a nice trail sled,if you want to bust some powder the mc 600 efi is also a real nice sled

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by PowderBoy@Oct 22 2002, 12:06 AM
i would say that 600cc might be a little big for a starter sled... the mountain cats are good machine but you might want to considr a 500 or 570fan.
I would go with the 600 with the elevation. Just cause ya have the power doesn't mean you have to use it. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey There,

Washington State rocks. I used to live in Kirkland, WA. As far as sled riding you would need a mountain sled. I would highly recommend Polaris, they make great mountain sleds RMK and get at least 700 (will need the power in the mountains). I personally ride ski-doo and prefer them for trail riding, ski-doo mountain sled will be my second choice.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I agree, a dealer most times is more important than the sled you buy, its pretty hard to buy a bad sled these days but bad dealers lurk around every corner.
:)
Rick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the opinions and keep 'em comin'. We are making our decision this week. For those of you that mention the "dealer" aspect, what makes a great dealer? What do we look for or stay away from? SWRules

·
Registered
533 Posts
Arctic Cat even makes a model that has a remote keyless start. Just press the button on the key chain, get geared up and take off.

A great feature for women.

As for size, Arctic Cat makes a great 500cc and 600cc, about 13 - 15 hp difference in the two. The 500cc is a much louder engine, has to rev higher to make it's power.

My woman rides a ZR440, she loves it cause it is so light, she can pick it up, start it, and do some stunting, and is easy for her to steer. Her only complaint is her thumb get tired, but the 440's are carbuated. She has a hard time riding my ZR600 cause of the extra weight, but the efi's are real easy on the thumbs.

If you are a small woman, get something like a ZR/ZL/MC 500 efi. Light weight, easy throttle pull and easy starting. My brother has a 99 ZL500 efi and loves it. Never has had one problem with it. But of course I do all the maintenance on it. Seams like I fix everybodies!

just my two cents!

newf

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you are going off-trail alot get a MC, if you like to stay on the trails,
the ZL is awsome!! the MC's are Not a trail sled, and personally I would not buy a fan cooled sled (but to each there own) The ZL500 or 600 are both good starter sleds for adults. enjoy :D Rick

·
Registered
483 Posts
Like the others, I think the ZL600 would make a great sled for the trail, or the MC 600 to ride the hills. As far as what to look for in a dealer, it can be summed up in 2 words...customer service. When you walk in to their shop do they treat you in a friendly manner, show a genuine concern to help, or are they just interested in making a sale? Do they try to oversell you, or when you bring a sled in for service do they give it to you straight, or give you a run around. Unfortunately, it may take some trial and error to find the right dealer, but ask around. People will tell you if they have had good or bad experiences, I know I tell people around here who to avoid ;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Like zrgreen said, it could take some trial & error in finding a good dealer. It's best to ask around if possible. People will usually have no problem pointing out the bad ones. I've had better luck with the smaller shops. The ones that sell a certain brand of sled only. I've had terrible luck with the cross-over shops (bikes and sleds). I know there are tons of exceptions, but that's my experience in my area.

·
Registered
203 Posts
First of all IMO starting out with a 600 is to much, if you haven't rode that much for you're safety I would go with a Z 440. You need to get the feel for riding first before you hop on a 600 liquid. These new sleds are so smooth, you can find you're self flying along at 80-90 mph and not realize it. Things happen real fast and with limited experience bad things can happen.
My wife has been riding for years and she still wants a fan cooled light-weight sled, she's either going to get a Z-440 or MC 570 fan this year.
Just my opinion, regardless of the make there all great sleds and I hope you guys have a great and safe experience.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congratulations on deciding to get into the sport. Its great! As a newcommer myslef, this is one post I feel I have some expertise in. My wife and I bought two used Artic Cats last year. These were the first sleds we've ever purchased. We took the advice of a friend of mine who is big into Artic Cat and has a great relationship with the local dealer. We also spoke to the dealer before purchasing the sleds. It turned out the dealer had done some service on one of the sleds the year before. He gave us the thumbs up on them, and they have been great since. Both sleds are EXT 600s. My wife rides a 98 deluxe. Both sleds have carbs and she does complain about thumb sorness once in awhile. Also they are heavy. My wife realy enjoys the fact that her sled has an adjustable back rest, reverse, and electric start. It makes riding alot more enjoyable for her. Since all of the major brands have good sleds, I think a good dealer is the #1 priority, and pick a sled that will meet your riding style. Maybe talk with the local snowmobile club in your area to get some recommendations. Good luck with your decision.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would definitly go with the Mountain Cat if you buy the Arctic cats. The tracks are much better for the Washington snow. As far as size goes, anything 600 and below will be okay. My wife has been riding for 12 years and she rides a 550 fan cooled Polaris and the power is just fine for her. So don't be afraid of the 570 M/C. In fact a friend of mine bought one last year and loves it. Have fun this winter. You'll love it. (Don't skimp on clothing get good quality stuff) Jack

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
A 600 has the power of a 440 fan at higher elevations lol. Rember that you lose 5% of your engines power for every 1000ft of elevation. I say the 600efi cat for sure. Will ride great, incredible performance with the efi, and a proven track record.
Caleb

·
Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by Sled Dogg@Oct 23 2002, 09:01 PM
A 600 has the power of a 440 fan at higher elevations lol.
:D Your killing me :D maybe on everest lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kafferdd

Living in Washington, you and your husband would want a snowmobile that can be used both on and off the trail. A 600 MC would be an excellent choice. You have the ability to adjust the ski stance from 39 in. to 41 in, and with the 41 inch ski stance setting, the sled will handle very well for the trails also. The option of the 144in. or 136in. track length would depend on how much off trail riding you may want to do. Also, the 144in. track is a bit harder to handle. The 600 may seem a little too powerful at first, but the sled is so light, that it is still very easy to handle and once you get some experience under your belt, so to speak, the sled will probably be just what you need. The MC is est. at 110hp, the 136in and 144in weigh in at 473lb and 478, respectively (arcticcat.com). To me, it seem best to get a sled like the MC 600 that is a great "all round" sled to gain experience, then once you have been riding for a while, you can decide if a trail or high performance sled is more you riding style, or if you want to get into more mountain riding.

Also, a snowmobile dealership that provides excellent customer services is a must for someone who is getting into the sport. By "customer services", I mean a dealership that you can trust to treat you fairly and honesty with any problems, needs, or questions that you may have. Basically, look for a dealer that treats you like a PARTNER, and that cultivates a long-term relationship with customers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts