Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 800 Sport RER that has been running excellent all winter.  Last weekend it was pulling 8000-8100 on the tach (tested with meter and it is 250 on the high side), sled pulls 110 MPH on GPS.  

This weekend would only pull 7500-7700 on tach.  Tried changing belt, plugs, clickers (from 4 to 5 to 6) no difference.  

I am very baffled.  Anybody have any ideas why my top RPM would go away like this?  

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Something similiar happened to me this weekend to.  My sled always runs 8000 RPM and this weekend I could only hit 7600 RPM.  After riding for about 80 miles I noticed that It was running a lot faster so I look at my RPM and it was back up to 8000 RPM.  I don't know what happened but I'm gonna make some phone calls today and see what is up.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Normally its the belt being warn but you mentioned you changed that so its probably the clutch.  But engine problems could cause that also so you just have to play with it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Check all the rave valves and make sure none are sticking closed, as this will not allow engine to get full power on top. Maybe do a compression check also, to make sure engine is still strong.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
u know what. how weird is that i also noticed this weekend that my rer was low on rpm. so i kicked up the clicker didnt seem to help. so I checked the secondary tension and it was down. Only about 8lbs. So i took it apart and reset the tension to the 5th notch then it ran hard and lots of rpm. then again the folowing day it started to go down again I'm sure that the tension is low again. It seems that the rer spring can actualy spin a little and loosen off. Dont forget that the rer spring has a Flat bottom and does not have a pin that u put in to a hole ......Check this as I'm sure it will help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MachZ69,

Unfortunatley I have an 02 800 so I have no preload on the driven.  Good to hear that someone got their machine fixed.

Mine is in the shop now, pulled the primary and found that the spring was rubbing into the cap.  New cap and spring on order, should hopefully fix it up by the weekend.

Thanks for everyones advise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts