Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you think of the rumors that AC will drop the ZR platform and expand on the F-Cats? Will it push you to look at other brands? The ZR is what brought me over to A/C, if I'm left with the choice of either an F-Cat or ZL  
I'll be looking elsewhere. Rick.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Tough to say Rick, but I thought of that the other day as I was looking in the '03 brochure.  If you read the writing on the wall, it seems like they might drop them.  One would say that they wouldn't drop them because the ZL's use the same chassis/hood.  But it sure does seem like the ZR's will be competing w/the F-series.  Now how did the tripples fade away, there were three, then two, then none!?!  It seems the ZR's are fading too.  Who knows?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I don't understand why any of you would want a Zr with the New F-cat being so superior. Much better motor and suspension not to mention it looks great.
Caleb

·
Registered
757 Posts
I like the ZR's also but it's just a name.  The ZL is basically a smoother ZR.  My speculation is if the Firecat line is successful, there probably won't be any room for the ZR and the ZL's would probably end up on the Firecat platform.  Again, if the Firecat is successful.  It all comes down to technology evolution and marketing.  The one hitch in this speculation though, is the Firecat chassis needs the new motor design. $$$$
I used to love the Wildcats also.  Great sled, great name.  But then came the "T-Cat", then "ZRT" and "Wildcat" was forgotten.  Eventually "ZR" will probably end up same.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Besides, after looking over the Firecat, it might be real easy to forget about the ZR.  My love for my Wildcat faded real fast after I got my ZRT.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
They will definately keep the ZRs around for a year or two to make sure the public likes the F-series.  Could you imagine dropping the ZR's and the Firecat's not selling??  Cat would have to dig itself out of the hole.  They have to prove that they ARE superior, and I hope they do.  But the looks, that's a matter of opinion.  Personally, I think the hood looks like it's pieced together around the induction area...hope it's better in person.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I agree, the Firecat would need to be successful.  As for the looks, it's a love-hate thing just like the REV.  I've seen them both side by side.  They both have their share of ?? in design, but I like the Firecat.  The REV might prove to be THE sled, but YUK!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep the Firecat is ugly from the side the green one looks like a big green parrot. Will we get used to them? Yep! After a while even ugly grows on you.

Cat has always had two types of sleds. I think the ZR 900 will stick around for a for the longest or something even larger.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Example:  I wouldn't consider Dodge trucks beautiful, but man I like the looks of that truck.  Sometimes somewhat "ugly" can be good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think the Firecats are the new ZR's. What aggressive rider would not want a drastically lighter sled and one that has a way improved power to weight ratio like the Firecat. I, for one, pray that it suceeds. But, the lake guys will not be happy with a big inch motors in the Firecat chassis, if Cat makes one; one reason, weight! I clearly remember trying to outrun my bud on Drummond Island on that looong, curved, boulder-lined inlet to the main trail on a windy day on my 465 lb. ZR440 Sno Pro; the cross-wind almost pulled me into those nasty boulders. The Firecat is even lighter! Had I been on a sled on the north side of 500 lbs., I wouldn't have that problem. I think lake racers will not like the light sled for that. I think the ZR chassis will remain for that reason. I could be wrong, though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If the FireCat is going to be the chassis of the future then I hate to say it, but I will probably end up with an RX-1. I think the FireCat really does look like a ditch pickle.
Paul

·
Registered
310 Posts
i agree with slarson, the zr will probably be gone for 2004, but you would tend to think that MAYBE the zr900 will stick around for another year.  who knows maybe they will have a new "trail" chassis.  the firecat will be the aggresive one, and they will have a different one for the trail things.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't know about anybody else, but I just can't have a narrow track. I consider myself a little clumsy and older but too old to buy a trail cruiser as the panther. I love to have the power and giver er a good rip once in a while. I may be keeping the sleds for quite some time this time also (ya right).Who knows I guess I will waitand see what comes out. Kevin

A

·
0 Posts
If they do get rid of the ZR line I don't think it will be 'til 05.  They will want a year or two under their belt on the Firecat chassis.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I agree with you guys. Once the Fircat proves it self as an awsome sled which i am sure it will be like all the other new ones. You will see the ZR slowly disapear.. But you might see a Hybrid if you will.. maybe something Called a R-cat or something silly like that. Kinda How they put that 900 out there this year for the power hungry guys craving all the power they can get. Kinda the Evolved ThunderKitty. I my self like that 500 FC with the Snowcorss suspenion. I think that suits me just dandy. Plenty of power to bang corner to corner, and the big suspension for jumping! But then I belive a ZL can Bangs the trails pretty hard too if u ask me. the only thing i noticed from the 2 is the take off. But if you want the ZR style, chances are most people but after market stuff on any way right? So why not just get the ZL and soup her up a bit, Little Pipe, chip, and some clutch work, and away u go! Just my 2 cents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts