Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey
im needin a new track on my 93 phazer and i can get a good deal on a used track thats studded and i have never driven on a studded track before.
i was thinkin my ride style wouldnt work well with studs...i ride tight trails fast and rely on sliding around corners and i wouldn't ride any other way
so i wonder if studs are gone keep me from slidding into turns
is riding like this going to tear studs out???
how hard is it to take them out?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it wont effect my riding style???
it just seems i shouldnt be able to slide around turns nearly as good
im ridin a 485 fanner so i dont have the power to spin track full of studs as easy........i assume......
as it is im leavin all the powerful machines behind on trails cuz im hittin the turns harder and dont wanna lose that

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
YOU'LL HANG TIGHT IN THE CORNERS-BUT NO THROWING!

·
Registered
204 Posts
You won't have to slide the turn's any more...you can power right through.

I have a skidoo 500 fan studded and can walk much biger sleds in the turns, because I don't spin.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
it wont effect my riding style???
it just seems i shouldnt be able to slide around turns nearly as good
im ridin a 485 fanner so i dont have the power to spin track full of studs as easy........i assume......
as it is im leavin all the powerful machines behind on trails cuz im hittin the turns harder and dont wanna lose that[/b]
Thinking that you're faster without studs is like thinking you're faster without winter tires in the winter, or with street tires on your motocrosser. More traction means more speed.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I went from studded to non studded on a 95 Polaris xlt.. and well it throws the rear end all over the trail. I really miss some studs, but the reason I had to change tracks was cause the other one fell apart due to studs pulling out. Its kinda fun to have no studs so you can ride the gas hard and throw the rear end all over the place, but pics make the ride so much better overall!

Go for it, just don't over do it!!! I will never put studs on the outside again, just seemed to pull the track and rip it up.. just my opinion..

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
most find themselves saying why did I wait this long.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I drove for 10 yrs without studs on my past sleds .and added studs 2 seasons ago and all I can say is WOW I drove all those years slipping and slidding and spining all over the place I wish I had STUDS long ago.

·
10,054 Posts
if you get the track with the studs,,, I wouldnt suggest trying to pull them all out,,, just leave them in it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Nobody in my group rides with studs. One day we met a guy that wanted to ride with us for the weekend. The only thing I noticed was that the person behind him had to stay back a little and be on their toes. If something came up he could stop in a lot shorter distance then us. I never had them because I did a lot my riding here in IN in poor conditions on a lot of roads and crossing a lot of dry roads.

·
Registered
443 Posts
hell yea you'll like them!!
just installed 96 in mine over the summer and i can still slide those corners but when coming out of them you get that hook up and just fly out of them, you know what im saying? im sure you dont want that eh?
you will also like them for when it warms up and then gets cold and again and makes icey sections either on the trails or lake.
they're a great safety option and are easy to install.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The biggest reason I will never ride a sled without studs again is the fact that when you want to slow down, you slow down, no sliding all over the place. You'll be suprised how much you can still slide through a corner if you really want to, you'll find you just won't want to anymore because you can actually turn through them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will crossing alot of roads and hittin alot of gravel tear studs out or just wear them down??

soo many people swear by them on here and people i talk to face to face...i dont think i heard of anyone who tried them and switched by to none......i guess its unlikely i will dislike them but its so hard for me to amajin 1 single thing different about the feel of my ride

will it feel like ive lost any power with them in? i think there is only 90ish in the track

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
but DO NOT stud the very outer edge of the track or they will rip and tear out.
i personally like the straight line pattern that i put on my pantera.
don't forget to spent $10 and buy the template for drilling the track.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would try it & if you don't like them you can take them out. If you are worried about ripping out studs, just take it easy in low snow conditions. When crossing roads try not to spin your track & the studs won't wear down. I use to think the same as you. I like to roost around the corners, will I rip studs out. If there is enough of a base, you still can. :D

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I just went for the first ride of the season (YEAHHH!!!) with my new track on that I haven't studded yet, and I really don't understand how anyone can ride without them. I did a two mile stretch on a plowed road, and though I was taking my time, the lack of studs took away any fun I might have had on that stretch of road.
Even on the trails, which are not in the least bit icy yet, the lack of studs was obvious, and detracted from my fun.

As for worries about damaging studs, or track, crossing roads will not damage studs, unless they're not carbide, and most of the time studs will help protect your track, because it will help keep you from spinning in low snow conditions and ripping lugs on a rock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts