Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, getting to be that time of the year again. Just wondering what the experts consenses is on my ring flaking. Will I be ok to run them this winter or should I rering this fall. Its not a big job and I have no problem doing it but Its a brand new sled to me so I would like to run it firstswithout doing any major work to get a feel for it. Its an 02 800 with 5300 km on it. I just dont want to leave it and be kicking myself later for it.

Only one ring is flaking infront of the exhaust port, but Im sure the other one isnt far behind.

So what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You already have the manifold off your 1/4 of the way there doo it.Dont want too be down this winter the season is too short.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I wouldn't wait, if the molybdenum is coming out of the ring in the exhaust side, it's probably worse near the end gap. Any of that drops into the rod bearings can you say chi-ching $$$.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
If the members listed above say " doo it" ....That's what I would doo.......They know there stuff.

Snow4

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the members listed above say " doo it" ....That's what I would doo.......They know there stuff.

Snow4[/b]

Yeah I guess I should. Thats why I asked. It would be nice to have some seat time first but, ohwell. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the replies. And also are the new stock rings better as far as flaking goes?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Yes, the new style rings are better. Check taper on the pistons while you have it apart. as well. You can buy new spi pistons with ring around 60$ apiece, which is about the cost of the new doo rings. I run the spi's in my engine, which is modded, with no problems. I have about 2k miles on them.

Brian

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
well most 2 strokes need rings every other year. I suggest doing them every year to keep top performance. after your first ride with new rings check the psi on compression to have a spot to monitor from. I check them after every ride, well weekends worth of riding. I like the others would do it now , to avoid doing it mid season and further damage, they need it. you will find the opinons on pistons vary greatly. I will vouch for mxzwfo on his pistons. I would buy doo pistons myself. Brian has had good luck with his though. obviously my ring statements depend on mileage per year.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
well most 2 strokes need rings every other year. I suggest doing them every year to keep top performance. after your first ride with new rings check the psi on compression to have a spot to monitor from. I check them after every ride, well weekends worth of riding. I like the others would do it now , to avoid doing it mid season and further damage, they need it. you will find the opinons on pistons vary greatly. I will vouch for mxzwfo on his pistons. I would buy doo pistons myself. Brian has had good luck with his though. obviously my ring statements depend on mileage per year.[/b]

How many miles a year doo you ride???

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info guys, maybe I will just end up putting in a fresh top end.

My riding will change this year since I have a more reliable sled, so I hope to get between 1 and 2 thousand km. As much fuel as I can afford on a school budget. haha.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm on board with changing them now. I wish I had last season. Mine gave up during the season, it cost me a lot more money in the end, than if I had just changed them in the beggining.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm on board with changing them now. I wish I had last season. Mine gave up during the season, it cost me a lot more money in the end, than if I had just changed them in the beggining.[/b]

Yeah I hear you on that one. I'll replace them once hunting is over and before the snow flies.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i started using spi pistons too....nothing bad to report so far. really for the cost of new spi pistons and rings its worth considering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts