Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody else ever use the famous windex bottle with gaz in it to squirt into the carb to help these old puppies to  start ?  

On my old olympic the kill switch was me putting my hand over the carb to kill it !  

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
danr,
 i am trying to remember the guys name that was famous in the early 70's that rode a thunderjet in the big league races, this guy would win by riding along the inside of the track while all else rode the outside. he would come out of every corner just a bouncing on his sled and after years it was found out that he had some sort of another fuel under the seat and when he bounced squirted the mystery fuel into the system. i am told he is dead now and i heard it was the result of a sled racing accident that is when it was noticed the seat had its own fuel tank. if i am wrong someone tell me.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'm not saying he used the fuel trick, but Jim Adema rode a Thunder Jet and was killed in a racing accident.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yes, been there done that, windex bottle is the best sled starter for 1965 thru 1974 models. We used to do that for a nordic 399 71. You could also tune the sled while ridding, The hi speed screw that is  
 They should have that nowadays, insted of changing jets, use a screw.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
revrnd,
 that is the name that i lost in my memory and of course as i said some tell me if i am wrong. the guy was great all the pack on the outside and he like a lone wolf down on the bottom sure made racing fame for sno-jet.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Paul: Jim definitely did it the low buck way. A white helmet and a big ole puffy down jacket. I guess when you're winning races it doesn't matter how you look  

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ya in the summer me and my frend rebuilt a 96 xcr 600 , we where having a hard time starting it .... out came the squrt bottle.... Well inside the air box there is this foam '' we did'nt know it was there '' first pull it back fired .... lit the air box  on fire , Well the first fire ext we tried was dead .... now the fire is getting bigger .... Now before doing this we just changed the gas lines ..... and old gas .... so there where 2 cans of gas sitting there ..... We where both running around BIG TIME !!! . Well the 2nd fire ext worked ...... But now the air box , carbs and motor where full of crap !!!!  from the fire ext , then we had to pull it all apart again . So needless to say ..... I'll never use a squrt bottle again ! Hahahaha  

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
bigmac,
 sounds like some of the tricks from my younger days we got the sled started and it was one without the airbox. a squirt bottle helped get it started and it backfired then started to die so another squirt just then it backfired again and caught the squirt bottle on fire in my buddies hand. from then on we said the only bottle will be a BLUE.

·
Registered
752 Posts
mxz7   Kinda off topic here but, is that the real Labbats Blue or do we send you guys a watered down version ? I would hate to think it was the real stuff , if you Americans get used to drinking Canadain beer it would take all the fun out of it .

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
indysks,
 they get the crap down south of the border that has been on the shelf too long we just add water 5 to 1 labbat and send it down there.  

1 - 15 of 15 Posts