Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that a mid hieght windshield is better for top speed due to the flow of air that goes over the driver.
Less drag because its more arrowdynamic.

A low windshield causes turbulance as the wind hits the driver.

Any opinions ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Makes sense, a curved windshield has to be more aerodynamic than my fat head :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
I got the low profile on mine. i don't know if it actually works. I like the looks of it and when i race or speed top end i usually duck down a little so my body doesn't affect the wind current and slow me down.

A

·
0 Posts
<---low and blacked out. All ya have to do is tuck down and soar by the competition.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rode a mod. ZRT 800 last year, when you were going over 100 the sides of the windshield caved in, I was not expecting it (nor was I warned) bout blew my a** right off the sled :0:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The 2001 Ski-doo race manual states, "how you sit on the snowmobile can make a difference of 4 MPH at speeds around 100MPH." A tall windshield you should sit up, a low windshield you should tuck in behind it. :hallo2:

·
Registered
692 Posts
low blacked out w/ auto black clear coated then airbrushed a couple flames on her and clear coated again,

low is the way to go

·
Registered
516 Posts
Originally posted by jacqui583+Oct 31 2002, 08:56 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jacqui583 @ Oct 31 2002, 08:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--ZR Sled Head@Oct 31 2002, 06:47 AM
I'll bet the lower one feels faster.
:)
I'll bet the lower one feels colder! :0:

Jacqui.[/b][/quote]
I bet it feels colder too lol thats why i make sure i'm dressed up warm enough

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Ever hear a lot of fast clicking sounds when someone goes by with a short windshield? It's the dude that thinks he looks cool with his nothing windshield with a teeth chattering problem and too proud to admit to anyone he's an idiot! :doh: :hallo1: :nervous:

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Mikadoo@Oct 31 2002, 04:25 PM
Ever hear a lot of fast clicking sounds when someone goes by with a short windshield? It's the dude that thinks he looks cool with his nothing windshield with a teeth chattering problem and too proud to admit to anyone he's an idiot! :doh: :hallo1: :nervous:
I used to have that problem when I rode a Formula. :hallo2:

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
mxz7,
a low windshield {i have} is great for freezing to death and judging from pictures of you i think that a 12 foot high windshield won't affect your top speed. :sly:

·
Registered
959 Posts
i would guess that it would play a factor but i dont think its gonna go ALOT faster with a dif wind sheild.. i took my wind sheild off for this season and put on a handle bar raiser so i can pound the ditches i dont care about my sled this year its old and i need a new one next year but like mudwieser says.. i dont think it will do more then 4mph but if thats what it takes then go for it ;) good luck pete

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I will stick with the mid hieght windshield. My wife has the low on her FZ 500,she likes it,I hate it. Around 90 it feels like my helmet is going to float away on me,and its too damn cold.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have the mid-height windshield on my 583 Form. Dlx, I'm comfortable with that, but I freeze on my partner's MXZ with the lower windshield.

As far as it affecting speed, I don't race mine but I never had a problem keeping up with my partner when he was riding his piped and clutched 600 Vmax, and we ride pretty aggressively. I guess the decision would be at least partly based on what you are using the sled for; racing or pleasure?

Jacqui.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts