Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help understanding my sled's electrical system. I'm trying to wire my GPS directly to the sled's 12V system. I bought a 12V female accessory adapter, used the positive and ground from the tach's light bulb and wired it in. The accessory adapter that came with the GPS uses a .5 amp fuse which pops immediately, but the same fuse holds up fine in my truck. I figured that 12V was 12V, obviously the amps are regulated down somehow. The sled doesn't have electrical start, so what do I need to do, go to Radio Shack and buy a resistor of some kind?

·
Registered
316 Posts
:) I am a electricain so i stand behind this information the other guys are right. your stator generates off of your engine which creates a a/c voltage wave! if your gps is wired for d/c you will have to install a battery on your sled but then you will have to by some type of alternator to charge your battery your best bet is to do what i am doing with my gps. buy a $12 battery charger and rechargably double a batteries and just use the gps with the double a batteries. they will last you all day with no troubles then you can just put them on the charger when you quit at night and if you are wanting the look of a mounted gps then just make some type of mount for it on the sled . hope this helps but unless you buy a rectifier you will not get this to work any other way trust me this is the most economical way!!!! enjoy the gps you will like it!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I agree with the other guys.... but, if your put an electric sheild or something like that, Cat has left live accessory plugs on your wiring harness... look around the steering post, thats where I hooked my into, works good... no cutting into the wiring.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a bunch guys, I'm going to Radio Shack at lunch today.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Even with the rectivier I don.t thing you get a constant enoght voltage from the sleds lighting coil to power a gps. A electric face shield, like a light bulb does not care if it's being fed a/c or d/c.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I followed the link above and the info is really good. I'm just going to follow the instructions there and build the rectifier/voltage regulator. But that begs a question, does the voltage fall below 12 at low rpms?

·
Registered
316 Posts
ac voltage varies in a wave form from 12v+ to 12v - up and down and up and down if the frequency that the stator creates is 60 then it happens 60 times a sec. if the information for the power sorce for the gps is correct then instead of buying a rectifier. you a making just a simple bridge rectifier it is made up of 4 diodes be very very sure you line up the diodes in the correct polarity order or it WILL NOT CREATE A DC VOLTAGE. ALL DIODES HAVE A NEGATIVE AND A POSITIVE SIDE. LET US KNOW HOW THIS COMES OUT . OR IF YOU NEED ANY MOOR INF :sleeping: O. ..... GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
...or if you need a fire extinguisher!!! Good luck!! But AA batteries sure sounds a lot simpler ???

·
Registered
316 Posts
I studied the wiring diagram and it adds up to the correct voltage output.. just make sure you keep your circut board and componets. DRY AND AWAY FROM MOISTURE/WATER. ALSO TRY TO SUPPORT IT AS GOOD AS POSSIBE THAT WAY YOUR SOIDER JOINTS DO NOT BREAK LOSE FROM ALL THE BUMPING AROUND THAT USAL :doh: LY OCCURS ON A SLED ..

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Blade is equipped with a 'safety stop' which has a lithium battery. I wonder if it is 12 volts and if it has enough juice to power the GPS? It is recharged by the system and lights a flashing front and rear led bulb for an hour or so after the sled is off. I'll have to call them on Monday.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I grabbed my electronics buddy and hit Radio Shack. We had 1/2 the parts on the list and then started talking about how to waterproof it. All this in a piece of tupperware wrapped with duct tape under my hood didn't sound like a good idea. Maybe covering everything in epoxy . . . Then he looked at me and read the sign behind the counter for AA batteries on sale. $13 for 24. Too bad I already have a hole and 12V outlet in my dash. But it might be a good place to store the spare set of AAs.
:D

But in all honesty I still may build this later this year. Did a fairly elaborate search on the net and found nothing. Could be a real product opportunity . . .

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
atyszak, why not mount a small 12 volt battery under the hood and run the gps from that, wire in a 1/2 amp charger to keep the battery toppped up.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would be a lot easier than building and waterproofing the rectifier.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so after going through 3 sets of AAs in 1 day of riding I decided to build the rectifier. Here's a couple pics of how it turned out. The box is mounted to the backside of the tach, so it's solid. I know that a bread-board is kinda cheesey compared to soldering it together but I wanted to make sure it worked. I have the board packed in the enclosure with foam so I think it's pretty solid, it didn't seem like anything could vibrate loose but the next ride should prove/disprove that belief. It works great and I'm sure will be well worth the effort not having to worry about batteries every 4 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Dan that looks good, can I get you to build me one Art. I see a real oppertunity for ya lol. I was hopoing you'd not go the AA route as we ate the crap out of your batterys the last trip. Keeping the batterys warm i guess make s them last longer. Your rectifier looks top notch, great job .
Caleb

1 - 20 of 59 Posts