Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what are the advantages of using wiseco pistons over a cheaper piston like a factory or Kimpex? Do they withstand heat or dissapate it better? lighter and give you more hp? im curious because i was looking for cheaper after market pistons then i broke down and just got these wisecos.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
There are no advantages, take them back and get OEM.
Cant put it any clearer than that.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Check the thread on here about this exact question. The weiscos are forged rather than cast (I might have that backwards) and therefore expand at a different rate than OEM pistons and your cylinders. Without careful warm up procedures they expand at a faster rate than the clinder which leads to all kinds of bad ju-ju. THey are however stronger. That's the gist of it anyway.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If you read through this thread, Thumbdoctor posted pics showing underneath the pistons and the differences between the two. I think you'll find it very informative.

It's near the bottom of page 4. Here's the link.

http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/index...72397&st=45

Of course, with the Wiseco pistons being forged, proper warm up procedure is crucial but well worth the extra attention required considering the positive differences.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
As I have said for years, Wiseco can be a great change with many benefits, but proper thought has to go into setting it up.

I for one have had several sleds that I have ran Wiseco's in, 600 Rotax Tripple, 700 Rotax Tripple, 521 Rotary Valve Rotax, 800 Twin Series 3, several F7's.

The only problem I have had is a batch of Wisecos that were made to fit the 800 Cat Big Block Twin, and it was nothing to do with the piston. The pins supplied with the pistons were a touch too long (approx .03"). The pins get warm and swell both in diamater and length from cold to hot. Cold the pins were short enough to get everything together, but once hot, the pin would pop out the C-clips. Then wedging the clip between the top of the piston and the side intake ports.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts