Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I having a trouble getting my Polaris colt running right now(check coil post).  So I am thinking about giving up on it and working on my 69 Olympic.  It is a 320 as(18hp).  It is also in rough shape and needs a muffler and pull cord.
In your opinion witch sled is the more reliable and fun to just goof around of.
The colt has a 295cc motor.
Thanks for the your thoughts.
Matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I decided today that the Polaris is going.
Has anyone ever done any work on an Olympic that has been siting for alot of years?
How do I clean the built in gas tank out and what do I use?
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
858 Posts
We had a 1971 nordic 399 which looks pretty much the same I think. If it's the same thing, you won't need to do much. Don't put too much money for the muffler, it's basically a straight pipe. If the gas tank is the same as the nordic, you should be sble to get it out easily but I'm not sure what you could use to clean it. Check if theres some gas in the carb, it might of corroded it completly. Do you have pics? Where are you located?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I've restored 2 Olympics, a '69 12/3 and a '67 Super Olympic.  When I cleaned the tanks, I drilled a hole in the bellypans and just pressure washed the heck out of them.  Once they were good and clean, I welded a bung onto them, so I could clean them easily in the future.  A buddy of mine restored a '70 335 E and did his tank a different way.  He drilled a hole in the belly pan for a bung, and also created an opening in the top of the tank.  He filled the tank with water, and used an angle grinder to cut a 6" square hole around the filler tube, completely removing the section with the filler tube attached.  Once he cleaned out the tank, he welded an 8" square plate (with a hole for the filler tube) onto the portion of the tank that had the filler tube on it.  Then he sealed the 8" section over the 6" hole, and used large self tapping screws to hold it down.  I cannot remember what he sealed it with (may have been a square chunk of inner tube), but it never leaked at all.

The '71 Nordic had a removable plastic tank, as did all the older 18" chassis models and the '71 and newer Olympics.  Those were easy to clean in comparison.  

Hope this helps!  Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys.
I live in Cameron Ontario(just north of Lindsay)
When I went to drop off my Polaris at this guys shop yesterday he wasn't there so I dealt with the other guy who owns it.  He found me a good single rotaz but it didn't have a muffler or pull cord so he ended up giving me two other motors that had these on them.  Then he told me he has a good 69 Olympic without a motor at his place that I could have for free.  When I picked it up its in better shape than both of mine!!
Zog do you have any diagrams on how to hook up the wiring on these sleds or anywhere on the web where I can get one?
Thanks guys
Matt

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Zooman,

I have a service manual for my '69 Olympic at the house.  I'll take a look tonight to see if the wiring diagram is in there.  

Sorry it took me so long to reply...busy sledding!!  

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Zog for the help with the wiring.
I am having a problem with my carb right now after all that.
The sled will start no problem and idle great but when I go to give it gas it bogs and almost stalls.
I have been told that it is my main noozle checkball under a welsh plug.  I took the carb apart again and gave it a good cleaning.  Is there a good way to clean this checkball?  
I have tried to get a new one and its impossible.
I can feel the ball moving when I put it to my mouth and inhale and exhale.  Is this good enough?
Thanks man for the help.
If you don't mind could you send me your email address in case I have any more problems?
Thanks
Matt
[email protected]

·
Registered
24 Posts
I redid a 69 12/3 last year and there's a drain plug on the lower left hand side of the tank. Flip it on the side and you should see it. It takes an alan wrench to unscrew it. Then we pressurewashed the tank. It worked pretty good. Check to see if yours has the drain plug or not before drilling.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Zooman,

Sent you an email.

Zog

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Zooman,

Just sent you the wiring diagram for '69 ski-doo single lunger.  I also sent the carb settings for your sleds.

Sorry for the delay.  I must have bumped my head too many times in the past.    

Zog

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the diagrahms Zog.  I just downloaded them.
Yesterday I used a screw extractor and got the broken stud out with no problems.  Put the carb back on and it seemed to run pretty good but wouldn't idle.  I pulled that fitting off for the fuel return line and drilled it out like Retiredpop said.
Now I can't even get the damn thing to start.  I will take the carb off again and give it a cleaning and we will see what happens.
Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts