Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were riding to one of our out stations yesterday when i rounded a corner and spooked 2 wolves. they bailed quick but when they realized i wasnt after them they stopped on a hill and watched me for a bit then left. For me, sledding doesnt get any better than this..steve

·
Registered
752 Posts
Nice spotting Rottie , we came up behind a pack in the port loring area a few weeks ago . Looked to be about 8 of them but they were disapearing so fast into the woods it was hard to tell. Definatly a site you don't get to see often . We had a good ride this past weekend seen deer and and a fox and some bush chickens.  Wow you sure got a lot of snow in the Temagami area think it will melt before July ?   Happy riding

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We sure do have a lot of snow..3 more inches last night too. A lynx crossed the road in front of my on hwy 11 about 3 weeks ago. amazing animals..steve

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Seeing these beautiful creatures in the dead of winter is half the fun of riding.I've only seen two deer and one big ol bull moose this season so far and that was in the baysville area.Man i love this sport

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Here in south Sask, you see alot of deer while riding and most of the time its a heartstopping, on the binders expierience. Also them prairie chickens that hide in the snow and fly up right in front of you when your going 70 mph are a nice little surprise. Next to that, seeing wildlife when on a ride can make your day

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Lucky Rotti!I would love to see wolves in the wild.I have seen tracks from some in the back of my place but never seen them.Usually they see you, you dont see them.Ive seen herds of deer.Had herds running across the lake to one side of me while riding but never a wolf.Im soooo jealous Rotti.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry to say rotti but I was coming back from cochrane yesterday and right in the Temagami area the was a dead wolf on the side of the highway. I was going to stop and pick him up but had a deadline to make. Check highway 11 near temagami might still be there, could be good mount.

·
Registered
752 Posts
For a mount you only need the hide ...i'm sure that the rest could still be yours for supper if you hurry ....lol
Hey Rottie, Do  Lynx have a very short tail and are about 15-18 inches high ? We seen something near Hailibury on Saturday that looked like a lynx to me but I was unsure even if they were around there and we only got a quick glimpseof but it did have a very large set of tracks like a lynx would have .

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
yes...lynx are grey, have tufted ears and a short stubby tail. IT could have also been a bobcat, which are usually a tawny orange, but I believe they lack the tufted ears. They have stubby tails as well. They are also larger than lynx.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Also forgot to say my friend also seen 2 lynx on the trail Iwasn`t so lucky and he also say a bush chicken as well.
Rotti let me know if you got that wolf?

·
Registered
752 Posts
This critter was fairly large and was was darker in colour . It was around 5:30 pm and was starting to get dark.  We only say it for a few seconds while it was busy disapearing into the woods. Definatly wasn't a fox or a dog or anything that I have come across

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Not big enough to be a cougar?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I see that Rocketman is actually learning something in school. Good for you!. I myself have had two encounters with a cougar that happened during this past summer. I couldn't believe the size if them. The thing ran right out in front of my truck while I was turning on to the highway as I was leaving the cottage. 2 days later I got to watch it stalk a mule deer fawn for 5 minutes until it noticed me and headed for the hills. Probably something I will never see again but surely something I will never forget

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no i didnt get the wolf. i was 35 miles back in the back country working on a radio phone yesterday and couldn't get out to have a look. Yes a lynx is medium gray, about the size of my rottie (female) bushy stub tail and extremely muscular. mostly lynx around northern ontario, no cougars. only thing i havent seen in a while are swamp donkeys. they must be wintering deep this year..steve

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It is cool to see wildlife on the trail!  Unfortunately my dad's friend wasn't as thrilled when a wolf ran out in front of his sled.  140 lb wolf, the guy hit it, it flew over the windshield and the guy ended up going to the hospital!  He was in critical for a few days but finally got better.  Watch out for all those critters out there!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Rottie, you haven't seen any swamp donkeys lately, but how about snow monkeys?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!      

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Rottie...there ARE cougars out there...lots of them...they just never let people see them. That's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You would know if you seen a Snow Monkey. They are large handsome creatures that are very friendly unless aggrivated. They enjoy human comforts such as snowmobiling, fishing, beer and women. Known to frequent the ditches and stubbles of south Sask. during the winter months and spend most of their time near the water during the rest of the year. They are very fascinating creatures

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Snow monkeys are very difficult to track in the winter as they stagger trip and fall alot making there tracks hard to distinguise from a wounded buffalo.Your best bet for tracking them is to try and follow the trail of emptys from there favorite fishing spot to there lair where you can usually find them lying down with there hand down the front of there pants.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts