Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My Formula 500 RAVE Deluxe -98 started too bog realy bad some days ago. I had too prime it al the time to get it running! Then i ofcourse parked it and looked for reasons. I felt on the exaust outlet that the cylinder on the left side was not as warm as the other. So i changed spark pluges with new Br9Es and i thought it would bee ok, but it wasnt. So i thought this must be a water prob. Then i had some isopropanol in the gas. Next day it started ok and runs very strong and clean up to 3/4 trottle. But at full trottle nothing much more happens like it used to do. The top speed had dropped to 120 from 140km/t. It feels like the RAVE's wont open, but i dont think that is the prob because i have cleaned them just before the trouble.
So my Q is: what is the reason for this lack of more power at full trottle?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
My wife had a 98 form 500. When we changed to the gold belt from bombi we lost 5mph on the top end. Run the regular belt for top speed. Have you cleaned the carbs recently? We had a problem like that on hers carb clean and it did 160kmh again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Krusty: it idles steady, and as i said, it revs clean and strong in mid range, but nothing happens at full trottle. Witch means that it doesnt bog down at full trottle or dies, but it wont pull stronger. I shal check the fuel filter at the tank, if there is one-il be back.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
In 98 they had little mesh filters on the fuel inlets in the carbs . They are so fine they clog very easy.  I heard they were supposed to be removed in the factory after test run.  We removed them from both our 98's

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
permafrost: Hi. Il guess u mean filters inside the carbs?

Norwegian

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today i removed the fuelsupplyhoses on both carbs and removed the smal filters underneath. Those where a bit dirty, not much. I havent got the time to test the sled now, so il be back here when i have. Maybe the blue isopropanol i have added will take out water from the tank if there is some.

Norwegian

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds like you may have a set of dirty clutches. Do a plug check a wot and check your belt for wear. If plugs look nice at wot its in your clutching somewhere. Remove and clean secondary then reset spring pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts