Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be funny. Ever go on one of those trips that seemed DOOMED from the start?  I've been ridin alot of years now and I certainly can remember a few days that I would have rather been at work. I suppose the worst day was when I blew a corner, pounded a tree square on and broke my leg. Stone cold sober too..was snowin and dusk and I lost sight of everything when my buddies threw up the white cloud. A close second was the time I picked up this this big breasted gal at the bar and in my infinate wisdom decided to let her ride one of my sleds on the lake. I figured there was nothing to hit so what could it hurt? Turns out there was something to hit...ME!! she smashed two of my sleds in one fabulous blonde moment. Then..she SUED me for letting her ride my sled when she was not qualified!...not good.  But the funniest day of trouble started out on a Sunday Group ride. Early on my buddies 87 plus locked up on the grade cause his oil pump quit working.  He doubled up with my GF on my 87 Eltigre 6000.  A short while later the tiger broke a crank. So he doubled with another buddy..my GF hopped on with me. My GF sucked at riding double and down the trail further we where flyin..she was flopping all over and I went wide in a corner and kissed some bark with my 89 wildcat.  Cost me a side bumper and a new hood. A while later an 89 500 Indy broke the crank off at the clutch and it went right through the hood. Towards the end my other buddies 89 Mach 1 burned a hole in a piston. 5 out of 10 sleds bent or broken all on the same ride!  To add insult to injury..when my buddy backed my trailer in my driveway..he jackknifed it bending the tongue AND he hit my Cutlass sitting in the driveway. To think .....even after all of that I still ride. Maybe this post belongs in the "how bad have you got it" posting? So how about it folks?...any other horror stories out there?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Well.....I think we all know who we are NOT sledding with....

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i have a cousin that we nicknamed GOINK because when he is around things like that happen. he has had that name for 25 years.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
worst day started out running late, got there , went sledding . put my sled into a drainage ditch , bent up the bumper,ect, kept ridding.  my buddys sled broke down, got it working,  kept ridding, come across a guy that had lost his leg. helped him into the ambulance.  then the cops hasseled me about my sled being messed up and half acussed me of causing this accident.    then got to head home late.   saw the ambulance brining the guy down to the big hospital.

all and all a bad day.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LMAO!!..yeah..pretty messed up huh?..The last part kills me . One of those days when you ask..what could possibly happen next?...and something did!!  I mean...it was soo screwed up I even started laughing then...nothing else you could do!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Nah, I don't think that there is a time when I would rather be at work.  Even when EVERYTHING goes wrong, at least I'm outside, away from the city, and NOT cooped up doing something because I "have to" do it.  

My worst, and by far not nearly as bad as that first one, was my first season.  I bought the Deere sled mentioned below.  Riding this thing was to start down the trail untill something broke - usually plastic (brittle from old age), and then turn it around to limp home.  Fix it, and then repeat the next weekend.  Shortest trip was the last one for that season.  I pulled it off of the trailer, started up the trail when the throttle lever broke in half horizontally.  I was less than 50 feet from the truck.

I had to ride it back by pulling on the throttle cable with a pair of pliers.  It took me longer to unload and load the sled than I got time on the trail that day.  

The only other opportunity to ride it that season was actually around where I lived, but the #### thing wouldn't start - untill AFTER the snow all melted.  

Well, then I ended up moving south.  

You know the sport is addicting when your first example of it is one of how unreliable the equipment can be, then out of it for 5 years, and STILL want to go out and ride.  

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I've never had a day like that.  But if I did, I think I would have preferred to be at work.

Lets just hope that it never comes to that.

FishHog

·
Registered
278 Posts
 My worst day had to be the day my friends talked me into going riding but to do this I had to call in sick to work which I did.( I work as a paramedic) the day started good till I smoked a rock the size of a small car trashed my sled, But the best part is the Ambulance is called and it is my partner that I am to be working with that day. He said I thought you were sick I said I am now.

Think I should have gone to work... Naaaaaa I got a new sled for next winter.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
That's like calling in sick to gho to a ball game and your boss seeing you on tv catchiig a homerun ball LOL
Caleb

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Purple-
I was going to mention something about lifting a machine with a blown track out of a blind ravine an inch or two at a time in 3' of snow.... but thinking about it, you win man. That's stickin' to a want to ride, big time!!

AL

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The worst day of riding I've had was a year ago. Riding from Elliot Lake to North Bay, 300 miles in the rain.  
Fortunately we had no breakdowns & the trails had been groomed the day before

1 - 15 of 15 Posts