Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If nothing else maybe this can be a reminder to be careful this season.

I'm not talking about pride because that has been hurt by all of us most likely at some point. :blush:

Last year I think I suffered my worst injury. We had just seen Kid Rocker and Johnny in Manceleona by pure coincidence and we stopped to chat for a few, then we were husteling back to Grayling going like two jack rabbits along trails and sides of rds ect.... Well that old famous kidney buster of a bump came out and bit me and knocked my hand off my bar and up into my winshield catching my throttle thumb and bending it back beyond it's bending point... OUCH ! I'm sure I just jammed the heck out of it but I had to palm ride all the way back with some real pain in my hand. It took a long time to heal but eventually it did.

So, What's yours? What reminds you to take it easy?

Snow4

·
Registered
980 Posts
On a sled, mostly minor, maybe a popped knee or such.
On a dirt bike, much worse. In my heavy moto days I have broken an ankle, a collar bone, 3 ribs and my neck.
good thing I ride a sled a lot more than I moto these days.

·
Registered
593 Posts
So, What's yours? What reminds you to take it easy?

Snow4[/b]
Take it easy? Where's the fun in that? LoL. I have been pretty lucky, only got tossed around a bit with no real injuries. Jammed both knees and my head into the windshield once when I cased a jump. Good thing it wasn't too big.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Take it easy? Where's the fun in that? LoL. I have been pretty lucky, only got tossed around a bit with no real injuries. Jammed both knees and my head into the windshield once when I cased a jump. Good thing it wasn't too big.[/b]

:huh: I friend of mine son was killed last year in Paridiase last year!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Better topic would be something like- Have you ever had a tragic or near tragic experience
while snowmobiling that made you change the way you ride?

I had one a few years ago. Riding with new group and showing off. Had frosted up
face shield at night, and didn't see a corner coming up. Turned sled at last second
and slid off trail sideways. Hit deep snow and landed mid snowmobile against a tree.
Could easily have died if I didn't put sled in slide exactly when I did. Got back on sled
and continued the ride, OK but a little shaken up.

Couple of years later, riding with same group but with a new rider, new rider did almost the
same thing I had done years earlier. Except he did not put the sled into a slide. He missed
the corner and went straight into a tree. Split his helmet, cracked skull, misc. internal
injuries. He was in intensive care for a month or so, but after about 6 months was able
to return to work. I don't know what percent of his mental capacity he got back. He had
some pretty bad brain bruising.

If you are talking about pushing the limits on a sanctioned racetrack and getting
banged up a little, OK. If you are talking about pushing the limits on public trails.........
I hope I never meet you coming around a corner.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Last year I was riding on the local trail, I had just finished my "new" indy for that year and was working the bugs out. I was following a friend down the one section of the trail that is on a park road, I had been down the road quite a few times and thought I knew it pretty well. Anyways, we were going down the road and XCR583 was up ahead and I was cruising along at a good clip, not too fast, but the road was smooth so you could get going. My speedometer isn't working so I'm not sure on the speed. I was on a long straight away with some humps in it, at that time my headlight was adjusted a little low so I was already on the edge of outrunning it, but I think what got me was trying to look at the temp. gauge, my handlebars are high enough you have to scoot forward to see over them. That was my first liquid sled and I was paranoid about overheating it. She was getting towards the red while on the hardpacked road, and all I remember is looking up from the dash and seeing the over 90 degrees turn already over to my right. Split second decision, try and turn and go sideways into the ditch, or aim for a soft spot between the trees. I took the later, hit the ditch, and launched 20 feet through the air and landed in some brush. The impact with the ditch was hard enough the bottom of my helmet sliced my chin open, it got pinched between the helmet and the tekvest, needed 5 stitches. Other than that I was alright, just a little shook up. The sled was ok though, all my welds held up. :thumbsup: Could have been a lot worse, I missed a big boulder by a couple inches and missed all the trees. It definitely changed how I ride, you can't assume you know the terrain and you can't be careless and not pay attention when riding at night.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I have become brain damaged from sledding...Now I can't stop pining for the next ride, does that count.

I need snow, I need snow, I need snow, I need snow,

·
Registered
629 Posts
2 yeas ago I hit a huge bump in Parry sound area on the hydro lines launched myself in the air landed on my head cracked my BV2S. Got up thought Oh my God I’m ok, looked up to the sky said thank you. My side was killing my hand has hurt I was in some really pain for a week or so. The next year I never had one accident getting lucky onec sure can wake you up fast.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:huh: I friend of mine son was killed last year in Paridiase last year![/b]
I remember that, in fact I think Rick and I were up there that weekend.. :( I remember the site/place it happend at too... few miles from the town.

These pics are not from that scene right ?

Snow4

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I remember that, in fact I think Rick and I were up there that weekend.. :( I remember the site/place it happend at too... few miles from the town.

These pics are not from that scene right ?

Snow4[/b]
Nope.....Sorry ! I did not mean to imply that it was :blush:

·
Registered
593 Posts
:huh: I friend of mine son was killed last year in Paridiase last year![/b]
Riding agressively when the conditions permit and not using your head are two different things.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Riding agressively when the conditions permit and not using your head are two different things.[/b]
Do tell.....I've been riding since 1969 and I would love for you to explain to me when you can safely ride 100 mph?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Do tell.....I've been riding since 1969 and I would love for you to explain to me when you can safely ride 100 mph?[/b]
You can hit that velocity most safely at a sanctioned speed run where the conditions are controlled and an EMT is close by...this is the exception not the rule.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Do tell.....I've been riding since 1969 and I would love for you to explain to me when you can safely ride 100 mph?[/b]
See now you are assuming things. I never once mentioned 100 mph or speed in general. Or riding on trails. I'm more of a 0-60 guy, lots of bottom end. You clearly have me pegged as an irresponsible rider so this will be my last post in this thread because I don't feel like defending myself. I ride to have fun, jumping, hill climbing, powder riding. I occasionally trail ride but usually only to get somewhere. I am very safe and have not had any serious accidents, I don't put other people at risk and always stay on my own side of the trail.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
See now you are assuming things. I never once mentioned 100 mph or speed in general. Or riding on trails. I'm more of a 0-60 guy, lots of bottom end. You clearly have me pegged as an irresponsible rider so this will be my last post in this thread because I don't feel like defending myself. I ride to have fun, jumping, hill climbing, powder riding. I occasionally trail ride but usually only to get somewhere. I am very safe and have not had any serious accidents, I don't put other people at risk and always stay on my own side of the trail.[/b]
My bad! I got confused between two threads, but the quote I posted from you was insinuating that my friends son was not using his head. No one knows exactly what happened, he was off the trail and the speedo was pegged at 40mph.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My bad! I got confused between two threads, but the quote I posted from you was insinuating that my friends son was not using his head. No one knows exactly what happened, he was off the trail and the speedo was pegged at 40mph.[/b]
When I said not using your head, I was refering to the pictures you posted from the other thread which someone said was 100mph at night into a rock. I was not talking about your friends son.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
When I said not using your head, I was refering to the pictures you posted from the other thread which someone said was 100mph at night into a rock. I was not talking about your friends son.[/b]
Were good :unsure:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts