Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out doing lots of riding lately, and I have to say that I'm heart broken. The trails are in such sad shape, and the off trail riding is impossible. I think back to the conditions last year at this time and I'm disgusted with our weather this year.
Normally if conditions don't allow me to ride off trail there are always good groomed trails to ride on. Not this year. The trails simply don't have enough snow on them to be proprely groomed. Added to that, we've had some land closures here that eliminated some nice loops, so I end up doing the same trails almost every day I go out. Depressing.

Here are some pics showing what a bad year we've been having. I should've taken some of the huge moguls out there, but I didn't. Maybe today. The one trail pic here is between Tilden Lake and Crystal Falls. Take my advice and stay away.

Attachments

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Newf, have been absolutely dumped on here in the PS area the last few days, close to an honest foot of fresh snow. Should be enough to get the trails in good shape shortly so there's hope yet. If you asked me a week ago my answer would have been the same as yours, amazing how fast things can turn around!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Ouch! I don't like to see bare metal especially on an A arm. This winter has been a bit of a different one yes. Here in our part of Ontario, the trails are certainly better than they appear in North Bay. We have been getting some snow each day and yesterday the wind picked up to blow the loose snow around. This morning there are a few highways closed in the lea of Lake Huron.

I hope that this cold weather brings you some more snow as we have enjoyed visiting your area in winters past. The businesses in the area must be feeling the effects of poor conditions too.
I won't even mention about things getting worst, I think we are already there.
John.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I here ya we started slow here with the snow too...but it came ....so did the cold weather.... to cold -40 this morning no fun....

read something on global warming they said Canada is to warm up 10 degrees great I'm moving...

Rick

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Newf, have been absolutely dumped on here in the PS area the last few days, close to an honest foot of fresh snow. Should be enough to get the trails in good shape shortly so there's hope yet. If you asked me a week ago my answer would have been the same as yours, amazing how fast things can turn around![/b]
Hey Cory, we got dumped on too. 45cms they say. But the problem is that the mild weather had left no base whatsoever, so one kick and you're right to the ground. What we need is another meter of snow, a day or too of rain after that, a few days of super cold weather, and then a whole bunch of fresh snow again. Can't anyone pull some strings with the guy upstairs???

Anyway, enough complaining for today, I'm off for another ride. I've heard rumours that the trails out to Mattawa are in good shape. Cross your fingers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i guess we are blessed here in midwestern ontario this year.although the scenery is no where in comparison to yours, our trails are in really good shape here and getting better everyday.so far i have put 814 miles on my sled,and we have some pretty decent loops.we have alot of people trailering in to town evryday.i took some pics yesterday,we had a few guys come in from windsor and area.it was really cold but we still had a good ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
team wisz: You will be making our northern friends jealous posting pictures like those. I did enjoy them though. Glad to hear good news from fellow sledders here in Southern Ontario.

Rubber side down.

John.

·
Registered
252 Posts
lol: well i will admit i is a strange thought people are trailering in here from the north. something is wrong with this picture :p . but i would rather trailer up north the scenery is much better,mind you it is great just leaving my garage and going. at least my trailer is getting a break this year.here are some more pics from the other day.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
the trails!!!!!! we started in my home town of mitchell on,we then went north up to wingham and back down through blyth on onto seaforth and back to mitchell.the rounder is 110 miles.we had planned to go alot further north. but the weather was getting pretty bad even on the trails 0 visibility. the trails get better the further north you go from here. we are located just west of lake huron,the best riding in the area seems to be in the area close to lake huron up to owen sound and as far east as alliston on. and as far south as kitchener this big circle offers alot of trails. it would be districts 4,5 and 9 in ontario.we cut our trip short yesterday as the weather got worse,and its a good thing we did.the folks from the windsor area just got out of town in the nick of time.the roads closed shortly after they left and still remain closed 24 hrs later,they have even pulled the plows off the roads.

·
Registered
593 Posts
the trails!!!!!! we started in my home town of mitchell on,we then went north up to wingham and back down through blyth on onto seaforth and back to mitchell.the rounder is 110 miles.we had planned to go alot further north. but the weather was getting pretty bad even on the trails 0 visibility. the trails get better the further north you go from here. we are located just west of lake huron,the best riding in the area seems to be in the area close to lake huron up to owen sound and as far east as alliston on. and as far south as kitchener this big circle offers alot of trails. it would be districts 4,5 and 9 in ontario.we cut our trip short yesterday as the weather got worse,and its a good thing we did.the folks from the windsor area just got out of town in the nick of time.the roads closed shortly after they left and still remain closed 24 hrs later,they have even pulled the plows off the roads.[/b]

Thats just awsome. I wish we could get some of that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
well as i said it is strange to me.but yesterday there were people unloading that came down from the north bay area and they were telling me they figured they better get some riding in soon.unbeleivable weather we are having,i feel bad for all the lodge owners in the north who relye on the snow in the winter months.i know we cancelled our trip north when the lodge owner told us not to bother coming up as there wasn't any snow and our trails were open.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tourism industry is getting beat hard this winter. Local traffic is down, and out of town traffic is almost nil. Bad, bad year.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ouch, I'm sorry to see the "bites" your dragon took. Come to think of it, everything business wise is down this year. It's not just the winter issue, right now it's the fact that every Newfoundlander is moving to Alberta. If they'd all move back, we'd be over-populated and our economy would triple! lol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
well we have alot of open fields here as well. i just like the forest setting for pics :rolleyes: but i sure won't complain. we only have to go about 10 miles north of town till we hit bush trails.and the further north we go the better it gets in this area.we are planning a big ride for next weekend so i will have more pics to post

·
Registered
137 Posts
You want to see heartbreak you should see Minnesota and Wisconsin. Still not able to ride in 90% of the traditional areas. Its enough to make anyone rethink their position on the sport. Heading towards the end of season and no hope in sight. I still hold out some hope but only for a couple of weekends at best. Maybe not. Riding here this year will not be a sport to be enjoyed throughout the winter, only a fluke and fleeting occurance. sad

·
Registered
657 Posts
You want to see heartbreak you should see Minnesota and Wisconsin. Still not able to ride in 90% of the traditional areas. Its enough to make anyone rethink their position on the sport. Heading towards the end of season and no hope in sight. I still hold out some hope but only for a couple of weekends at best. Maybe not. Riding here this year will not be a sport to be enjoyed throughout the winter, only a fluke and fleeting occurance. sad[/b]
... end of season? You might be simply getting a Newfie winter. The last 3 years the only snowmobiling that was decent was the entire month of March, ending in the first week of April. Ending in a bang, I might add. We were on pocket bikes two weeks later, as there was no snow left. Right now our snow is kinda missing and icey, but compared to last year, it's about the same. Again, we did not get any real snow last year until the beginning of March, and at least for central Newfoundland we have yet to have a snow storm this year. So it may not be a season ending soon, just a season delayed. I'm just trying to think positive, lol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
well you know what they say pepsi. for every down subject there is an upside to look at :lookaround:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts