Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:withstupid: Tonight as I am letting my brother take the sled around for a spin he calls me and asks me why it's not going anywhere. It turns out that he was trying to drive it with the brake down. I smelt rubber burning, possibly from the belt. Is there any problems that may occur from this other than the belt getting worn down?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Well it actually wears a bump into your belt where the primary clutch is trying to engage, so if it's bad enough you'll feel it all the time. If someone was wailing on it cluelessly trying to get it going, yeah, it's probably pretty bad. I don't know of any other problems from that except a messed-up belt. You might get some rubber build-up on the sheave I guess. On the EXT (my first sled with a parking brake) I really killed my first couple belts...ah memories...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Belts can obviously get a "thump" spot in them. A bigger problem can occur with the cluth though. You can wear a groove into or even through it, though that takes some time and serious effort. The more likely issue may be that of cracking a sheave by heating it quickly and locally which getting into the throttle on a closed brake might do. A check of the sheaves near the shaft will tell you whether that has happened.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yeppers My 13 year old left his brake on, his dad jumped on the sled and took off smoke started pouring out the hood.. Now 2 years ago my son had a sled burst into flames and burn to the ground, so we were all cringing... but just smoked the belt..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts