Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting back into the sport, I put the sled in the shed when my daughters where born and now, I am to the point where I am ready to go riding again, I have a 2000 xc700 delux, with less then 800 miles, I need some advice on gettting it ready to go to the mountains, I am on a budget, but since I am a machinist and have acess to alot of equimpment, I should have no problem with it,

I want to go from a 126,? to a 144" I am making the rail extenstions and tunnel extension, I would like to go with a 1.750 deeplug, I would like to keep the stock drive wheel, can anyone tell me if that will fit?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
You got it exactly right. I'm not sure if you can go deeper than 1.75" on a stock setup, maybe maybe not, but it will take the 1.75" paddle for sure. I think 144" is the best length for almost all mountain/powder riding, and I wouldn't go any longer. 136" is actually very capable and allows much better maneuverability, but in the extreme conditions it can come up a little short. I run 151" tracks and 136" tracks on my sleds and I can tell you that I live in a hardcore mountain area and I rarely need the 151" length. It's nice as a just in case, but it is much *much* harder to steer and handle. Pro riders make it look easy, and once you get the hang of it it's a lot easier, but generally going with a really long track is just a waste of horsepower and creates a lot more work for the rider.

Don't forget to change your gearing when you change the track. You are asking the drivetrain to do more work by adding track mass and traction, and you need to compensate for that or it won't run right. I am at 19/41 with 9 tooth drivers on my piped 700, and I run my 800 at 19/40/9T. Some people think that's going too far, but after everything I've gone through on my 700 I swear by my gearing choice. I get an average of 2 years out of a new belt, we are talking about 80 days of hardcore riding. That is a product of the clutches being set up properly and gearing that takes unnecessary load off the clutches.

On the other hand, if you switched your track drivers to 8 tooth (only use extrovert drivers if you do this) you could use an even deeper paddle and it takes care of the gear ratio change, all in one shot. I prefer 2" or deeper paddles, but it does wear out your hyfax faster when trail riding. 1.75" may not seem much different but in my experience the hyfax last a lot longer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts