Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having problems with sticky power valves? Road 450 miles with premium fuel and Amsoil syn, pump set up right on. Tps set at 4 vdc.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I had a sticky power valve in my 800 cat almost out of the box. I use the synthetic APV cat oil. once the dealer cleaned it up never had a problem again. Does you ridding style have anything to do with it......ya know if you were taking it easy breaking it in stuff might carbon up ....just my guess.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just cleaned mine this weekend for the first time at 1100 miles. I have wanted to see how they would hold up on straight petroleum oil, no synthetic.

They were really stuck.

I plan on staying with the straight petroleum but I'm going to pull them at 400 next time.

The reason I'm playing cheap is because one of the drag racers from PSI told me to maintain top performance even with synthetic clean them about every 300 miles. #### if I have to clean them that often to maintain top performance, I don't see why I should spend 20 or $40.00 a gallon for oil.

I have a friend that ran his 600 to 4,000 miles befroe he cleaned his the first time on synthetic, but he said they were pretyy bad. My son's 2001 600 has 3,000 miles and his have not been cleaned but he commented last weekend that they weren't working any more.

I'm done riding for the year but I'll post my findings next year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand that Polaris dealers were filling the oil reservoirs on new VES sleds with Polaris mineral oil. This is done to be sure the rings seat properly during break in. I have talked to many riders that had stuck valves from the blue Polaris oil. This was a topic of discussion on the snowmobile newsgroup a couple months ago. I have used Shell synthetic on my XC's for thousands of miles and get very little build up on my valves. I got lucky, my dealer uses Quaker State oil in the reservoirs of new sleds-my valves did not get stuck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts