Snowmobile World banner

Xcr Xtra 10 Vs. Edge

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  98xc700 
#1 ·
Guys,

Please help. I need to know any and all info pertaining to the Xtra 10 suspension that was in the XCR's. I have an 02 XCSP with the edge suspension that my buddy totalled for me sunday night. I need a suspension NOW and the only thing i can find is an xtra 10 out of a 2000 XCR. My main question is, is the edge suspension a lot better than the xtra 10? I def. don't want to downgrade but I have to have this thing set by Friday. If there's not to much difference, I can make the Xtra 10 work as long as it agrees with my track but I'm pretty sure the XCR's and XCSP's had the same track size just a different lug height.Thanks for any info!!!!!!

#2 ·
Guys,

Please help. I need to know any and all info pertaining to the Xtra 10 suspension that was in the XCR's. I have an 02 XCSP with the edge suspension that my buddy totalled for me sunday night. I need a suspension NOW and the only thing i can find is an xtra 10 out of a 2000 XCR. My main question is, is the edge suspension a lot better than the xtra 10? I def. don't want to downgrade but I have to have this thing set by Friday. If there's not to much difference, I can make the Xtra 10 work as long as it agrees with my track but I'm pretty sure the XCR's and XCSP's had the same track size just a different lug height.Thanks for any info!!!!!![/b]
the xtra 10 is a huge downgrade, you loose 4 inches of travel. putting an xtra 10 in an edge may be the easiest either. you may very well ned to mkae new drop brackets nad also drill new holes up front. go to hardcoresledder. i think there is still a few edge suspensions for sale. what did you break> maybe its fixible.

#3 ·
How do you total a suspension?

#4 ·
How do you total a suspension?[/b]
Let your friend borrow your sled....

I wouldn't go that direction. You definitely want to put an edge susp. back in. Happy hunting!

Try Al's Snowmobile Parts Warehouse (802) 334-7239

#5 ·
Thanks a million guys. I found a full suspension, I'll go get it today. Totalling a suspension is real easy actually when you set the sled down staight up and down. Rear bumper broke, bent both hi-fax rails, rear axle and bogie wheel, both shock rods (for the pivot) and worste of all, totally wrinkled the tunnel not to mention all the other bent parts. I didn't realize the xtra 10 was what it is.(if that makes sence) Now that I realized I knew all along what suspension that was, I see how dumb of a question I posted. I guess that's what happens when your head is spinning on your shoulders trying to figure out what to do!!!

#6 ·
Thanks a million guys. I found a full suspension, I'll go get it today. Totalling a suspension is real easy actually when you set the sled down staight up and down. Rear bumper broke, bent both hi-fax rails, rear axle and bogie wheel, both shock rods (for the pivot) and worste of all, totally wrinkled the tunnel not to mention all the other bent parts. I didn't realize the xtra 10 was what it is.(if that makes sence) Now that I realized I knew all along what suspension that was, I see how dumb of a question I posted. I guess that's what happens when your head is spinning on your shoulders trying to figure out what to do!!![/b]
your friend did a good one. what did he hit? must have been on hell of a jump

#8 ·
Ya, The stupid part is I built the jump. We were hitting it all day (in my yard) but then the last jump of the night he totalled it. It was a nice 5-6 footer with a good launch. I built it with my neighbor and his 4-wheeler with a plow blade.[/b]
still hard to believe on something like that is broke that bad. i hit 50+ foot stuff the the prox all the time and have come down hard and never had something that bad happen. owrst thing like that to me was broke a boggy and bent my bumper.

#9 ·
<<<still hard to believe on something like that is broke that bad>>>

Kinda what I was thinkin. I've never heard of one getting that tore up from one landing.

#10 ·
I bought a sled through a salvage auction, long story short sounds like the same thing your going through. Bent rails, bent tunnel in the rear. I cut it all apart and streatend the tunnel bought a set of used rails, used 8mm bolts locktited instead of rivets because i couldn't find any that would hold to my satisfaction. Ill try to find a place to post some pics.
Click Here For Pics

#11 ·
First off, why would I lie? It has nothing to do with the height, people jump sleds way higher all day long. When you say you have jumped way higher and landed hard your obviously missing the point.I've rode this sled for 5 years and landed hard plenty of times with no problems. A suspension is obviously made to handle hard impacts (expecially the edge). The point is the suspension never had a chance to do it's job. I said he landed straight up and down, not almost vertical or near the rear of the suspension, but VERTICAL. Let me break it down a little different, not sure if your familiar with off road racing(CORR, WSORR) but when those guys get a little crooked off a jump and come down sideways so that the suspension doesn't take the force of the landing, they break and bent tons of #### and that's on a steel tube framed solid as hell hand built race chasis.

Now, same thing on a sled. You come down vertical and the suspension doesn't absorb ANY of the impact like its designed to, except this time you got lots of production line stamped aluminum. (tunnel and rails anyways) Why is this so hard to believe. Just cause it hasn't happened to you or your buddy's doesn't mean it can't happen.

I'm sorry if I sound a little heated but #### like this pisses me off. I come here for advice not to type up stories so people I will never meet will think I'm cool, I promise. I didn't say it was a crazy jump or anything like that, I simply stated that we built a jump. And if your hitting 50ft jumps with no landing, shut up, your stupid. I will submit the pics when I get a chance if I can figure it out, that way you can see it to believe it.

#12 ·
Relax. Captain Curious here. Kinda like somebody standing around at the scene of an auto accident. Pretty plain to see there's a bunch of bent metal, just trying to figure out what happened?

Glad you were able to find your parts.

#13 ·
I don't really know how else to explain it. Instead of the force being absorbed by the suspension and it compressing the shocks and springs, the 4 mounting holes in the tunnel, the tunnel itself and the two hi-fax rails became the only form of suspension (for lack of better words) to take the force of the impact. Go out to your garage and stand along side of your sled. Look at the track/suspension. It compresses up and down. Now imagine your sled standing straight up and down(skis toward the sky) and floating,lets say 8 feet off the ground, and it dropping straight to the ground. Does your suspension compress? No, it bends.

Sorry if I sound/sounded lika a dick, I just don't see how it's so hard to comprehend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.